Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Please help me with my funky body geometry

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-14-20, 05:22 PM
mike09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 5’10” with a pant inseam of 30”. I have shorter legs and a longer torso. I am looking at the Sirrus hybrid bike but am unsure what size to get. If I go with my legs I think I’m a medium frame and if I got with my torso I’m a large. Is it more important to size to the seat tube (legs) or top tube (torso)? A medium will fit my legs better but my torso might feel crammed up, and if I go large my torso will fit better but my legs could be dangling off. Which is more important, what is more adjustable- leg or torso geometry, what size frame will suit me better?

Some bike shops won’t let me demo due to Covid so I need your help.

Thank you!!
Old 05-15-20, 11:20 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I would buy the largest that my legs would rightly accomodate. A shorter/longer stem, and different bars will accomodate your torso, if needed. Be careful that you don't buy a bike that is tooo big for you!

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-15-20 at 11:28 AM.
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 05-15-20, 02:27 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by mike09
I am 5’10” with a pant inseam of 30”. I have shorter legs and a longer torso. I am looking at the Sirrus hybrid bike but am unsure what size to get. If I go with my legs I think I’m a medium frame and if I got with my torso I’m a large. Is it more important to size to the seat tube (legs) or top tube (torso)? A medium will fit my legs better but my torso might feel crammed up, and if I go large my torso will fit better but my legs could be dangling off. Which is more important, what is more adjustable- leg or torso geometry, what size frame will suit me better?

Thank you!!
Trouser inseam doesn't work. Have you done the 'cycling inseam' measurement? If so, ignore me!

If not, here's how. Stand straight, against a wall, in bare feet, with your feet about a foot apart, and measure from floor to firmly up in your crotch/perineal area (sorry, but that's how it is!). You may need a helper to do this.

That's the measurement you want; that will tell you what your actual cycling 'leg length' or inseam and 'standover clearance' is, and also give you a rough real idea of your relative proportions as between leg length and torso. You might be surprised, but in any event that will give you a better idea/starting point.
Likes For badger1:
Old 06-13-20, 11:02 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mike09

Thank you!!
Definitely medium. If you can't mount and dismount properly, it will not be safe.