Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Philippe Professional Riv Nuts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Philippe Professional Riv Nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 06:54 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by agnewton
Were they rubber? The catalog spec says, "soft stiched sleeves". I assumed that meant leather or maybe "pleather". VO had some leather sleeves available last year. Maybe once I get the brake lever position fine-tuned I'll get the leather sleeves .

I still have one loose question that hasn't been resolved in the discussion. So it's bad to sand down the bar clamp diameter (25.4--> 25.0 for French stems); is it also unsafe to "expand" a French stem handlebar clamp to accommodate an ISO bar (i.e. 25.0 --> 25.4mm)?

Thanks.
On the stem question, I know that some have removed material from the stem clamp area in order to fit a larger diameter bar, but I would not. It is a relatively small amount of material, but you have to ask yourself if material removal at that particular place is really a good idea. It may never fail, but the stem was designed for a certain size bar. And there are so many good options for putting together a great bar/stem combo that were made to fit, so altering something like that is really not necessary. It just becomes a kludge. Whether or not it is unsafe is up to one's judgement. A stem failure is among the worst that can happen on a bike.
Old 07-13-20, 07:13 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
On the stem question, I know that some have removed material from the stem clamp area in order to fit a larger diameter bar, but I would not. It is a relatively small amount of material, but you have to ask yourself if material removal at that particular place is really a good idea. It may never fail, but the stem was designed for a certain size bar. And there are so many good options for putting together a great bar/stem combo that were made to fit, so altering something like that is really not necessary. It just becomes a kludge. Whether or not it is unsafe is up to one's judgement. A stem failure is among the worst that can happen on a bike.
Thank you. It's more material to remove than for the stem steerer tube diameter (22.2 --> 22.0mm) so it seemed like a good idea to ask. I'll re-calibrate my plan and keep an eye out for a pair of 25.0 mm clamp diameter bars.
Old 07-13-20, 07:19 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I hope you find what you're looking for. I know the search can be both frustrating and rewarding.

In the event that you don't, keep an eye out for an SR forged stem like this:

They made some of these sized to fit the 22.0 French steerer tubes, but they have a 25.4 clamp diameter, so your bar options increase. It's a nice stem, and they sometimes pop up for a good price.
Old 07-13-20, 08:20 PM
agnewton

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for one of the 22.0 SR stems. I know that I can likely find the Atax Franco Italian bars with a 25.0 mm clamp, but I do have myself set on the Professionnel model for no other reason than vanity (and to match the stem).

Originally Posted by BFisher
I hope you find what you're looking for. I know the search can be both frustrating and rewarding.

In the event that you don't, keep an eye out for an SR forged stem like this:

They made some of these sized to fit the 22.0 French steerer tubes, but they have a 25.4 clamp diameter, so your bar options increase. It's a nice stem, and they sometimes pop up for a good price.
Old 07-13-20, 10:00 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by agnewton
Were they rubber? The catalog spec says, "soft stitched sleeves".
They were not stitched; they were molded in the shape you see with FAKE stitching molded in.

As to whether they were rubber -- that word gets used for a lot of things that never came from a rubber tree. I'm no expert but I would assume they are some kind of petroleum-based plastic, but definitely a rubbery feel. I wouldn't mind if someone called them rubber. They give a slight amount of cushioning, less than say Cinelli cork or some other padded tapes, but better than unpadded tape.

BTW I think the ones in the photo from randyjawa have normal bands holding the levers on -- not riv-nuts. I'm pretty sure I can see the bulge in the rubber where the band is underneath. Unless I'm imagining it...

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 07-13-20, 10:40 PM
agnewton

Originally Posted by bulgie
They were not stitched; they were molded in the shape you see with FAKE stitching molded in.

As to whether they were rubber -- that word gets used for a lot of things that never came from a rubber tree. I'm no expert but I would assume they are some kind of petroleum-based plastic, but definitely a rubbery feel. I wouldn't mind if someone called them rubber. They give a slight amount of cushioning, less than say Cinelli cork or some other padded tapes, but better than unpadded tape.

BTW I think the ones in the photo from randyjawa have normal bands holding the levers on -- not riv-nuts. I'm pretty sure I can see the bulge in the rubber where the band is underneath. Unless I'm imagining it...

Mark B in Seattle
I don't think you're imagining it, unless the power of suggestion has me seeing them too.

On purchase, the bars were wrapped with Cinelli cork tape. So, a previous owner dispatched with the rubber sleeves. I've not seen "soft-stitched sleeve" handlebars in the wild and I imagined they were a bit more "luxe"-- like the leather sleeves VeloOrange was selling a while back. A bit of a let down. My only point of reference for this bike are the catalogs available online-- I believe you may have posted many of them, Thank you. In any case, I won't worry about restoring that original detail.

Cheers
Old 07-14-20, 07:11 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts

Mark B in Seattle

My Super Mirage--a 1978, I think--had those plastic bar sleeves. The brake levers had conventional bands, as I found when removed the sleeves so I could install a longer stem. Maybe those rivnut bars were seen as an upgrade, and didn't extend down the food chain as far as the Super Mirage?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 07-23-20, 04:31 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts

Mark B in Seattle
Yes - see my post in the ISO sticky thread - a pair of bars with them that just came off a MB tandem.
Old 08-15-20, 11:35 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
agnewton Are you still looking for a FR handlebar? I could not find any back in July, but doing a deeper dig (looking for some Ford Falcon hubcaps but another story) I did find a pair of Belleri "Ile de France" alloy bars that have a "medium" drop and bulge-formed center.The 2 engravings are pretty worn so hard to read (and my attempt to take pix resulted in the focus way off) but I can see enough to ID them and the clearest part says "St. Ettienne" Measure between 41 and 42 cm. NOTE: according to Velobase these might be 26mm clamp so I will have to measure and update this post. But LMK if interested in FR bars with an "Italian size" clamp diameter?
Old 08-16-20, 11:40 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
You can buy replacement rivnuts. They are inexpensive, too.

If re-tapping solved the issues, great.

I would guess the brake kever took a hit and was bent inwards a bit.
Old 08-18-20, 11:42 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Update, these Belleri Made in France bars measure a 25mm clamp diameter, just like a FR bar should, if interested PM me
Old 08-20-20, 03:45 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
those soft stiched bar coverings weren't a French thing they were a proprietery Motobecane thing
they came on all but the the top two models for about 5 years. the riv-nut ones were on the better
models for a cleaner look. many 1000s were sold with no bar failures
Old 08-20-20, 11:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
many 1000s were sold with no bar failures
It's 40 years later. Aluminum doesn't fail with warning, and you have no idea whether the OP likes cranking on the bars or not.

Admittedly, there's little empirical evidence for or against the potential failure of these bars, but I wouldn't base a judgement call on their safety because of a lack of hearsay from BITD.

-Kurt