Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Friel Contradiction

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Friel Contradiction

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 11:33 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Friel Contradiction

Rereading my Friel today and I have a contradiction I can't resolve...

Initially in "Science of Training, Overload" he says: Once a rider has reached optimal fitness, it can be maintained with [bla bla bla].

Then in "Intensity, Recreational Cyclists" he says: '[bla bla] plan to peak at the right time of the year. Too much too soon and you won't be able to maintain the fitness.

So... which is it? or... what context makes these each make sense?
Old 10-10-16, 06:10 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Well, it's hard to say exactly what he meant, not knowing the context.

But generally speaking, most coaches seem to accept/know from experience that cyclisists can maintain peak racing form for a limited period of time- weeks. Part of the art of coaching is delivering your athletes to their most important races in peak form while helping to organize the rest of their season so that they do well enough in their easier races to learn, develop skills/fitness & remain motivated.

Trying to maintain peak form indefinitely is a recipe for disaster (ie overtraining).

If Friel is referring to "optimal" fitness as being peak form, then since you're at you're peak for a few weeks, there is a period of time you'd need to maintain it. But he might be referring to fitness that is optimal for some other purpose- for example, a level of fitness that is an optimal base fitness, which you could maintain by doing XYZ. It's hard to know without context.
Old 10-10-16, 07:01 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
ahh that makes sense then, as an optimal base.

i wonder how he would approach a cyclocross season that spans 8 to 12 weeks? it's not really addressed in his book.
Old 10-10-16, 07:23 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
ahh that makes sense then, as an optimal base.

i wonder how he would approach a cyclocross season that spans 8 to 12 weeks? it's not really addressed in his book.

Most people's season lasts a long time like that. My TT season is 9 months actually. You have to pick your priorities, which is why people have A races and B races etc. Most races in your season are used to train, to gain experience, to practice racing more than as the "thing" you focus your season on. You might go out and try to win anyway (because everyone else is in the same physiologic boat as you, ie they can't be in peak form all the time either). Or you might look at some races as training races.

Successfully managing a race season from a training perspective is a huge piece of the success puzzle but not something I've ever personally tried to figure out, I just leave it up to my coach. So I can't give you any first-hand advice, sorry. I'm sure someone else here can. But for a short season like that, I imagine you'd just try to peak towards the end of the season. For a 12 week season, somewhere around week 8-12, depending on where you put your A race(s).