Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Century on a Hybrid?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Century on a Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 06:01 PM
CatchMeRidin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Century on a Hybrid?

I just got a 2017 Trek FX 2. I have really enjoyed riding it and I am thinkin about doing a century ride in August. Would it be possible to do it on this bike?
Old 03-02-17, 06:05 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
If you're fit enough to do it and the bike fits you well, sure.
Old 03-02-17, 06:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Century rides can be done on any type of a bike. I've done them on my fixed gear and I also done it on a MTB. As long as the bike fits you well, go for it and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-02-17, 06:22 PM
CatchMeRidin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay great! I plan to do the HOTTER'N HELL HUNDRED in Texas. I am pretty athletic and in good shape but a ROOKIE to this world. Any tips for my first century ride? Any good training plans you recommend?

Last edited by CatchMeRidin; 03-02-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 06:30 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Metric Conversion

Worldwide Wholesale Distribution of Valves, Fittings, Tubing & Flanges: World Wide Metric
Old 03-02-17, 06:39 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Centuries on hybrids have been done before ---- The HHH is in late August, who knows, by that time, you may love this sport so much you might have a zippy road bike by then, but if not, the Hybrid will do fine

difference between 100 miles and 100 kilometers is 38 miles (100k is 62 miles ).

You can use the HHH 100 miler as a peak of the year, but I would recommend having a couple of the 100k's under your belt and another ride of up to 85 miles or so prior to the event.
On a hybrid you wont be going quite as fast as the folks on dedicated road bikes , so you may be out there a little longer, so make sure your properly acclimatized to the heat , -- that ride can also get quite windy --- if it takes you 7 hours, you'll be out there pedaling the last few miles in the 2-3pm time frame ----

You'll have plenty of company , and there are plenty of stops and aid stations along the way --- tons of places to take a breather, down some oranges or refill your water bottles

Again, having a couple of rides under your belt that are approaching peak distance is crucial to ensure you have the best time, --- ive heard people say, - "Well, that 50 miler was easy, - I'm ready to try a century" --- Saddles and shorts that are comfortable for 2 or 3 hours can become torture devices after 4 or 5 hours , let alone 6 or 7, --- so a few big rides will help you weed out any questionable equipment , as well as figure out your hydration schedule and requirements.

As mentioned, the HHH has plenty of stops, but I still recommend everyone have enough to take care of themselves if they feel a bonk coming on out at mile 85 or something --- because after 85 miles, its true that your almost there, --- but its also true that your 15 miles out, and that's another hour more or less, on a hybrid at least

Have fun, - train hard - you have plenty of time
Old 03-02-17, 10:22 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Century rides can be done on any type of a bike. I've done them on my fixed gear and I also done it on a MTB. As long as the bike fits you well, go for it and enjoy the ride.
+1. Century rides can be a good time on any bike.
Old 03-02-17, 11:04 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll see you out there, maybe, LOTS of people come out for that.
I saw several hybrids last year, so, yeah, definitely possible. There's a stop at least every ten miles, more frequent towards the end. August is also a ways away, so, you should have plenty of time to get in shape. Best of luck and hope you decide to do the ride!
Old 03-03-17, 06:45 AM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The type of tires on your hybrid will mean a lot when attempting a century. Smoother tires with low rolling resistance inflated to a high level will make the ride on your bike more like a road bike. I have seen people show up for a century with knobby mud-skipper tires and these will definitely make the ride more difficult and less enjoyable.
Old 03-03-17, 06:52 AM
CatchMeRidin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay great I'm excited about it. Most of the training plans are 12 weeks I've notice. I will start well before then but get on a stricter schedule 12 weeks out. The one I have seemed to like the most trains 5 days a week and does have some long rides working up to 100 every week. I plan to do a 90-100 in training at least once and then taper down...but what does tapering look like? What should my last long ride be the week before the race? I don't want to over do it. Also, should I completely rest on my two days off or should I mix in strength training on one of those days?

Last edited by CatchMeRidin; 03-03-17 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 06:55 AM
CatchMeRidin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by churnman
The type of tires on your hybrid will mean a lot when attempting a century. Smoother tires with low rolling resistance inflated to a high level will make the ride on your bike more like a road bike. I have seen people show up for a century with knobby mud-skipper tires and these will definitely make the ride more difficult and less enjoyable.
Okay that's good to know. The guys I got my bike from are pretty great. The adjustments are free for lifetime so I will take advantage of that and I will check and see if I'll need new tires around race time.
Old 03-03-17, 07:14 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
It's not a race (and even if it was)...ride whatever 'floats your boat.' In the Hilly Hundred (granted is a century over two days)...I've seen beach cruisers, kids on banana seat stringrays, and one year a guy on a road-bike-sized scooter.

Dan
Old 03-03-17, 08:52 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by CatchMeRidin
I just got a 2017 Trek FX 2. I have really enjoyed riding it and I am thinkin about doing a century ride in August. Would it be possible to do it on this bike?
How far and how fast can you go now?
Old 03-03-17, 08:56 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
^Exactly.
Old 03-03-17, 09:17 AM
CatchMeRidin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
How far and how fast can you go now?

I haven't gotten a chance to see how far I can go because I'm mostly getting up and riding before work but I usually get 6-8 miles in very easily. I was going to test my endurance this weekend. I've been riding through a neighborhood to get to a trail so I have to weave around a lot of obstacles some I'm not really sure on speed, but according to an app around 13 miles per hour. I'm also trying to get comfortable with using my gears.
Old 03-03-17, 09:23 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The Trek FX 2 looks like a good bike. It takes 32c tires, so they should be fairly comfy as long as you don't over inflate them. I would focus on:

Bike fit. Is you saddle comfortable? Is it at the right height? Fore and Aft position good? Stem length feel comfortable? Handlebar height? Your bike shop can help with this.

Cycling shorts. Would recommend at least one cycling shot with a chamois. Some folks also use chamois cream for longer rides.

Pedals (optional). Your Trek FX 2 doesn't look like it comes with clipless pedals. Ask your bike shop about them. Maybe they have something with an SPD clip on one side and a flat one on the other for regular shoes. If you consider clipless, then also ask about shoes. I used to have some old touring shoes with a flat thin sole (Detto Pietro). They had a firm sole that worked well with toe clips and straps. So that's another option if your pedals will accept them.

Training. Just get out on the bike and have fun. If you can use it for commuting, then that would be great as well. Break in the shorts. Try them with longer rides. Try to feel comfortable riding 3/4 of the distance. So try building up to 60 to 75 miles for a 100 mile event.

Food. Try bringing some along with you on the longer rides (2 hrs or more). Experiment with dates, fig newtons, rice cakes, salted nuts or trail mix, etc. Search here on the forums for others that ride and race longer distance. Just make sure that you won't get any stomach problems with what you eat and drink. Ask if you could leave a small bag of food and water bottle at one of the supported stops in the middle. It might allow you to not have to worry about carring it up to that point.

Pace yourself. If you feel good riding in a specific gear, then try shifting down one and spin a little more. If others are not going your speed, then don't worry about them. I have found it difficult to hold back and not get burnt out too early in the past. This one gear less was what I used so far and seems to "keep me in check."

Last edited by ptempel; 03-03-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 09:30 AM
stoplight

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
completed two centuries on a Giant FCR 1, A Fred will have no problem banging it out.
Old 03-03-17, 09:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
an all day ride, during the hottest month, in the hottest state? wutz the weather down there now? just try it now & see how you do. start early & start at a comfortable pace. don't experiment w foods, stick with stuff you know your tummy likes. you'll be drinking all day so consider mineral & electrolyte supplements. Gatorade gives me a sour stomach so I stay away from sports drinks like that
Old 03-03-17, 02:49 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I haven't gotten a chance to see how far I can go because I'm mostly getting up and riding before work but I usually get 6-8 miles in very easily. I was going to test my endurance this weekend. I've been riding through a neighborhood to get to a trail so I have to weave around a lot of obstacles some I'm not really sure on speed, but according to an app around 13 miles per hour. I'm also trying to get comfortable with using my gears.
100 miles in August heat is an ambitious goal. It isn't so much about the hybrid as it is about you. Right now you are riding 30 or 40 minutes in, presumably, cool weather. At your current pace,that means riding 7 to 9 hours in, maybe, 90 degree plus heat. And, I guarantee you won't be going as fast in hour 6 or hour 7 as you do in the first hour of riding. That said, you have quite a few months to train and acclimate to the heat, and to get faster.
Old 03-03-17, 03:12 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I plan on doing my first century this year on my hybrid. I've already done a couple of half centuries on it so I don't think the bike being a hybrid will be that big of a deal.
Old 03-03-17, 03:19 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any bike! I've done a 120 miler on a hybrid, a 60 miler on a fat tire knobby mountain bike.

Just make sure to ride as many miles as you can between now and then. Being in good shape does not mean you can just hop on the bike and do 100. It takes time for the muscles to adapt to the movement. Much like being in excellent shape but if you aren't used to leaning over the motor, changing the spark plugs in the engine can make your back stiff.
Old 03-03-17, 03:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Make a start early so you get 60+ miles in by lunch.
Old 03-03-17, 05:12 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head on over to:
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling - Bike Forums
and check out the sticky at the top for century tips. Also, there is a sticky showing people's century bikes. You'll see people use all sorts of bikes. You'll probably pick up some cool tips, and hopefully realize that 100 miles is a gateway drug.
Old 03-03-17, 06:27 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ This. Heat will be a big factor, also. It was mild last year at 95ish°.
Old 03-03-17, 07:12 PM
kbarj

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's all about the motor.

My bride and I just did a 50 miler on Trek DS 8.3s. Our 8 year old (turned 9 the following week) also finished on a MTB. It can be done. We're also targeting the HHH, but probably won't do the century. I may do the metric century as that would be a "Ride My Age" thing for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.