Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your oldest bike bought from original owner

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your oldest bike bought from original owner

Old 02-13-20, 07:12 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
1989 Centurion Ironman. It had original components til I came along. Now sporting Dura Ace 7700 9 speed. I love this bike. The only Ironman of the 4 I have set up as a road bike. The other 3 are built for Triathlons.

My second favorite bike.
So, what's the story on having a tractor tire in the house?
Old 02-13-20, 07:18 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
My 1950 Raleigh Superbe. 23" model with the AG 3-speed + dynohub combination. It also included a period accessory: a Cyclo Benelux 3-speed derailer which does work but is finicky and requires gentle operation. Original rear wheel with stainless spokes. The front was damaged after being run over sometime in the 1960s (by the owner's father who I think owned it first) and was replaced with a local alternative, which I have since replaced with a wheel taken off of a derelict Raleigh. One day I'll find the correctish front wheel. The bike sat for many years and needed everything - the paint came back rather well. I had lots of nice day rides once it was ready fall 2019. Great fun. I'm just about finished re-wiring the lights too. The seat was out of adjustment here. The original B66 is a bit too stretched, and I've been looking for foam to put between the rails and leather to make it a little more comfortable for longer rides. It was a very bright morning when I took this shot so it is a little saturated haha.

Old 02-13-20, 09:45 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
So, what's the story on having a tractor tire in the house?
All Texans have a tractor tire in their house, it's a thing. I kid , I kid.
That's my place of business, where sometimes we flip tires for no good reason.
Old 02-13-20, 09:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
All Texans have a tractor tire in their house, it's a thing. I kid , I kid.
That's my place of business, where sometimes we flip tires for no good reason.
You mean flipping as in buying and selling, or as in strongman competitions?
Old 02-13-20, 10:33 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
So glad to see that this thread still has legs and has brought so many interesting bikes into the light of day and into the focus of a camera.

Nice work on that AlAn, jim dandy!

One more from me that I bought from the original owner (I also bought his wife's 650b Libertas from the same era) is this early-70's Gitane Super Corsa.
I liked the color so drove over 100 miles to get it, at night, after agreeing to buy both bikes for a certain price. I thought that that this deal would prevent any other Craigs-listers from poaching my buying trip. I have no regrets.

The original owner's home was far up into the hills above silicon valley, great view of my former workplace at Moffet Field.
The owner actually had a large-dome observatory on his property!

The bikes came from a small shop in Los Altos that he said was run by an Italian.
The Libertas was small, and more of a lower-tier bike, so I sold it to a student.

Here's a large photo of the Gitane, still wearing tubulars, coming out of my truck the next day:
Likes For dddd:
Old 02-13-20, 11:57 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Beauty! I've always wanted to find one of those.

Originally Posted by dddd
So glad to see that this thread still has legs and has brought so many interesting bikes into the light of day and into the focus of a camera.

Nice work on that AlAn, jim dandy!

One more from me that I bought from the original owner (I also bought his wife's 650b Libertas from the same era) is this early-70's Gitane Super Corsa.
I liked the color so drove over 100 miles to get it, at night, after agreeing to buy both bikes for a certain price. I thought that that this deal would prevent any other Craigs-listers from poaching my buying trip. I have no regrets.

The original owner's home was far up into the hills above silicon valley, great view of my former workplace at Moffet Field.
The owner actually had a large-dome observatory on his property!

The bikes came from a small shop in Los Altos that he said was run by an Italian.
The Libertas was small, and more of a lower-tier bike, so I sold it to a student.

Here's a large photo of the Gitane, still wearing tubulars, coming out of my truck the next day:
Old 02-13-20, 03:12 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
You mean flipping as in buying and selling, or as in strongman competitions?
Well strongman would be a very loose term used on me.
But yeah, my wife runs a fight fit class two days a week and sometimes they use the tire for flipping and other fitness related things. Actually this is my 2nd month in her class and fortunately we've only did one tire exercise ... thankfully.
Old 02-13-20, 05:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
This thread is great!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.