Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Museeuw carbon frame

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Museeuw carbon frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 09:26 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Museeuw carbon frame

So the complete bike retails for $3,495.

The frame by itself is $329.

Includes a carbon fork, too. The sticker says made in Belgium.

Eh?
Old 04-22-20, 12:24 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai

Eh?
Walmart also list a Museuww CF frameset for $279 in medium and large - of course, they also list the product weight at 5oz, so who knows? Pretty sure, though, that you’re not getting a made-in-Belgium frame for $280. Museuww himself split from the company many years back
Old 04-22-20, 12:49 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
There are only two pertinent questions: will it take a triple crankset and does it have clearance for 32mm tires?
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-22-20, 05:22 PM
adlai

So, uh, it turns out guys discussed the frame a month and a half ago.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ons-these.html

It definitely looks like the company is out of business as the website itself is down, but I was able to glean this from an ebay listing.

If you want to sit in the saddle all day, putting down power and munching the miles, the MFC 1.0 and 3.0 are built for you. A progressive tour-style geometry blends strength and comfort to keep you rolling for as long as you want. The MFC 1.0 and 3.0 frames combine High Modulus carbon and Flaxpreg 2.0 — flax fibers embedded on the seatstay and fork for maximum damping — to sharpen the frame's characteristics and deliver agile handling while remaining smooth on rough surfaces. Externally, the frame's aesthetic is as smooth as its ride, with internal cable routing, electronic shifting compatibility, a BB86 bottom bracket, and a reverse aero-tapered fork. And if you want to take your touring build to the next level, the MFC 3.0 shaves grams and seconds, swapping out higher-tensile carbon fiber to deliver a stiffer, smoother road-going experience.
So from the sounds of it, the 3.0 has less of the Flaxpreg and more of the carbon fiber than the 1.0, which should give it a stiffer ride. The Flaxpreg is the most interesting thing about this frame. Thus, I'm leaning towards the 1.0, which is also $100 cheaper.
Old 04-22-20, 06:59 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I can build a very nice Campy 12 bike for only about $2000 more than the frame price.
Old 04-22-20, 07:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
There are only two pertinent questions: will it take a triple crankset and does it have clearance for 32mm tires?
1. Don't see why not, its a 130 rear axle.
2. Not even close, 28mm on an old fashioned narrow rim and hope you don't break a spoke. Running a 23mm rim with a 25mm tire gives a comfortable amount of clearance.

Eh?
The frame does state made in Belgium on it. The fork had a sticker on it that had Chinese characters on it but plenty of companies use someone else's fork to fit their frame so I'm not surprised. Price I suspect is due to blowing out left over stock and prebuilt bikes probably can't be clearanced the same way due to cost of parts vs selling out frames from a defunct company. Doesn't help that they really don't fit the modern push for wider rims, tires, and disc brakes. That said, it was a great frame to transfer older high end parts and a newly built wheelset to and rides like a dream.
Old 04-23-20, 03:16 AM
adlai

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
2. Not even close, 28mm on an old fashioned narrow rim and hope you don't break a spoke. Running a 23mm rim with a 25mm tire gives a comfortable amount of clearance.

The frame does state made in Belgium on it. The fork had a sticker on it that had Chinese characters on it but plenty of companies use someone else's fork to fit their frame so I'm not surprised. Price I suspect is due to blowing out left over stock and prebuilt bikes probably can't be clearanced the same way due to cost of parts vs selling out frames from a defunct company. Doesn't help that they really don't fit the modern push for wider rims, tires, and disc brakes. That said, it was a great frame to transfer older high end parts and a newly built wheelset to and rides like a dream.
What do you think is the difference between 1.0 and 3.0?

If the fork has Chinese characters on it, but the selling point of the frame and fork is flaxpreg technology, then that points to both the frame and fork coming from China. The sticker may be from the bike and its components being assembled in Belgium, which is why the full bike price is fairly high. May be a way of avoiding tariffs.

The marketing speak makes no sense. It says that the 3.0 swaps out high tensile carbon for a stiffer, yet smoother, ride. You remove the high tensile carbon in places, leave the flaxpreg, and the ride is both stiffer and smoother. It is like saying a car suspension is both pillowy and firm.

Last edited by adlai; 04-23-20 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-23-20, 07:25 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

The frame has no components attached to it and I'm not certain the ads or the magazine write ups suggest the fork is made the same. Interestingly the first day I took it out for a ride there was someone else with a Merckx carbon bike, everything about it looked the same, it wasn't just the shape of the tubing or the way the shape flows together. The style of the letters was the same and the decorative lines were very similar and it wasn't supposedly made in China either. Wouldn't be surprised if they were made from the same molds both being Belgian brands.
can't comment on the difference between the 1.0 and 3.0, the flax is supposed to make it comfortable while keeping it light and stiff and it is. I swapped everything from a Columbus genius steel frame and fork. The responsiveness of this frame easily matches that one, I only just finished the wheels and ran the old wheels and tires for most of the time I've had it.
From what I looked up the 3.0 removes some of the flax to increase stiffness. After buying and building this I wanted to get one for my wife, would have been a 3.0 due to her size being sold out but she likes her old bike too much and wants to keep it as a backup and trainer bike and get something new with discs and everything.
Old 04-23-20, 09:38 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Yes, I know.
Old 04-23-20, 06:35 PM
adlai

Is a more flexy carbon frame longer lasting?
Old 04-28-20, 11:06 AM
adlai

Found this link:

https://www.roadbikereview.com/revie...ched-in-the-us

The MF-1 model is handcrafted in Europe from tubes with 40-50% flax fiber and the rest 3K HM carbon fiber, while the MF-5 model comprises 80% flax fiber and 20% 3K HM carbon fiber. Both models have 100% 3K HM carbon fiber lugs and 50% flax, 50% HM carbon fiber forks.
Old 04-28-20, 11:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Is a more flexy carbon frame longer lasting?
Any carbon frame from a reputable builder should last as long as or longer than any frame made of other materials in normal use. Crash damage or other trauma can result in a carbon frame cracking or splintering, but such an impact would likely trash a metal frame, too.
Old 05-13-20, 07:10 PM
adlai

The frame has no components attached to it and I'm not certain the ads or the magazine write ups suggest the fork is made the same. Interestingly the first day I took it out for a ride there was someone else with a Merckx carbon bike, everything about it looked the same, it wasn't just the shape of the tubing or the way the shape flows together. The style of the letters was the same and the decorative lines were very similar and it wasn't supposedly made in China either. Wouldn't be surprised if they were made from the same molds both being Belgian brands.
can't comment on the difference between the 1.0 and 3.0, the flax is supposed to make it comfortable while keeping it light and stiff and it is. I swapped everything from a Columbus genius steel frame and fork. The responsiveness of this frame easily matches that one, I only just finished the wheels and ran the old wheels and tires for most of the time I've had it.
From what I looked up the 3.0 removes some of the flax to increase stiffness. After buying and building this I wanted to get one for my wife, would have been a 3.0 due to her size being sold out but she likes her old bike too much and wants to keep it as a backup and trainer bike and get something new with discs and everything.
im getting close to buying it.

is the front derailleur braze on or clamp? I’m guessing braze on makes more sense with the carbon?

is there also a headset installed along with that fork?
Old 05-13-20, 08:30 PM
Russ Roth

im getting close to buying it.

is the front derailleur braze on or clamp? I’m guessing braze on makes more sense with the carbon?

is there also a headset installed along with that fork?
F der is braze on, headset comes with it. With the frame the headset in just an inset style, nothing to install just make sure you install the cartridges correctly, the crown race will need to be installed and can be done carefully with a board by moving it around the race and tapping lightly as you do so.