Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ok!! Enough already! Come down with another cold!!!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-17-13, 03:49 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yesterday was miserable all day and I knew it would be(rain, cold, snow/rain mix). I went on the trainer for 90 minutes. The day before, Friday, I was feeling a bit odd and was hoping it wasn't a developing cold. Yesterday, 90 minutes on the trainer I seemed to be fine, but a couple hours later, BAM!!! Stuffy, coughing, a bit feverish. I don't need this now! I'm trying to get ready for two centuries on April 20 and May 11 and I need to put in the miles. Now I have to decide whether to stay off the bike today as I feel like crap and it's going to be in the upper 30s with 20 mph winds(windchill in the upper 20s). I'm not sure how I feel about hopping on the trainer today. I was hoping to do a metric tomorrow but I'm unsure about doing an outside ride Monday either. Last time, December, it took nearly 3 weeks for me to get over the crud and I developed full blow laryngitis for several days. I want to know what cycling God I offended!
Old 02-17-13, 04:40 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It's not the cycling god you should blame but the weather. You have not been paying homage to it. Best way to do that is get the trainer up by the lounge window and pedal gently. You will have to as you have to be riding no-handed as a coffee in one hand and a bacon sarnie in the other as you look at the weather and praise the gods that you are not out in the rain and the wind and the cold

Good recovery is to take aspirin and go to bed for two weeks. Or the other way is to tough it out and try to ignore it- but that way takes 14 days.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-17-13, 06:22 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
A couple of years ago I started drinking a tea called "cold season" made by Yogi. They make a variety that work well. I used to get serious sinus infection every winter like clockwork. I don't know if the tea made the difference but I also use a tincture or elder root and elder flower. I used nothing else and didn't miss a day or work (in a shop that is typically 48 degrees in the winter)

The elder plant parts were home-grown by a local herbalist and the tea is available. It's important how the tea is prepared so read the box. Use double doses, twice a day. You will feel better in a couple of hours. I have never been able to take cold meds and I am really impressed by some herbal treatments.

Arnica Montania is way better than aspirin for most trauma injuries also.

This all started for me a long time ago when I got pneumonia after riding hard when I had some respiratory ailment/cold. Riding with a cold can make you feel better while riding but perhaps can make it worse.

Last edited by ftwelder; 02-17-13 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-17-13, 06:35 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm probably just going to rest today. Surprisingly, knock on wood, I don't feel nearly as bad right now as I did last night. I'll see how I feel later today. I usually start using zinc lozenges the moment I feel a cold coming on.
Old 02-17-13, 07:47 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Just remember not to overdo it till well after you've recovered, or you can delay/relapse your recovery altogether. The energy you usually put into training is more needed to fuel the immune and recovery systems in your body right now.
Old 02-17-13, 09:34 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Just remember not to overdo it till well after you've recovered, or you can delay/relapse your recovery altogether. The energy you usually put into training is more needed to fuel the immune and recovery systems in your body right now.
This ^^^^. Even if it means a few days off altogether until you're fully recovered, that's better than trying to keep riding through it--often making it worse and longer.

If it's any consolation, I had two cases of the flu this winter (different strains), each of which took a week or more to get over.
Old 02-18-13, 03:36 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't ride yesterday...just rested and slept(and did the laundry). Wife made some soup last night. Plan to rest today and probably tomorrow(or just do an easy ride on the trainer tomorrow(going to rain anyway). Today is a holiday for schools, so I've emailed the Vice Principle to cancel my sub position for Tuesday so she can post it today and be more likely to get a replacement. I hope she does otherwise I have to call in tomorrow and the school will have to scramble to fill the position.

I think I feel a little better, but I'm not going to push. Last time it took me nearly 3 weeks to get over the crud.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 02-18-13 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-19-13, 05:30 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Slept 17 hours and still feel like #$%%@!. Had to get up around 8am and repeatedly call the school to tell them I'm sick and can not sub. I blocked off tomorrow to prevent calls for sub jobs. Yesterday I wondered if I could do an easy session on the trainer and decided it wasn't a good idea. Taking it day by day.
Old 02-19-13, 07:38 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
It is time! Break out the Chicken Soup! Also, have a nice cup of hot Honey-Lemon Tea, or herbal tea (my personal favorite being Apple Cinnamon Tea, with loads of honey) at night. Stack of hankies (Kleenex fibers irritate my nose, and I can't imagine them being any nicer to other noses) at the bedside and some soothing cream for irritated nostrils. Also, see if you can get any significant other to give you some pampering.
Old 02-21-13, 12:43 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm definitely feeling better, but still haven't been back on the bike. I'm sure by just resting/sleeping, staying off the bike, and not pushing has made the difference.
Old 02-21-13, 02:52 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Mikey,

Move away from that cold weather and come down to Florida. Nice riding year round. Hope you're feeling better.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-21-13, 06:18 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I'm going to check in with the doc tomorrow to ensure this isn't developing into Bronchitis. I used to get Bronchitis every year until I lost weight and was active. Took 3 weeks to get over whatever I got in Dec and this is a second bout of crud. Also, I should have him look at my toe anyway. The wife's been home for a couple of days too and is not going in tomorrow. Most likely we got this crud from the school system.
Old 02-21-13, 09:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I need to put on my glasses before reading this stuff. I thought he said "Came down with another child." I'm just glad my mouth wasn't full of coffee.
Old 02-28-13, 02:54 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Last night I came down with a runny nose that blocked up fairly quickly. Then the cough started along with a nagging headache. Didn't sleep at all well last night but up at 6am--cos I couldn't sleep- took an aspirin and a walk round the garden to clear my head. It didn't work but at 9am was down at the gym for a spinning class. Felt a bit better for doing something and if the "Cold" got worse- I could always walk out and go home and suffer. Took the class a little bit steady as breathing was not fully there and got off the bike 1 hour later at the end of the lesson. I was on auto for most of it just turning the legs but still got within reach of my normal calories and the shirt was still soaked.

Got home and the buzz from the spinning session was still there and so was the headache. 13 hours later and nose still running- head ache gone and only a slight chest. Seems a hard way to cure a cold though.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-28-13, 05:33 PM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hopefully you keep improving. I just know that with the first cold that held on for 3 weeks, I was riding(in the weather and cold) and subbing and developed laryngitis and the cold held on. This time, I rested for nearly a week(slept most of the time), ate chicken soup, and it seems to have eliminated the issues far faster. Stap, I hope it clears up fast and doesn't hang on like my first cold of the year.
Old 03-01-13, 04:19 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That exercise yesterday seems to have worked-Or perhaps it was not a cold coming on and just an off day. Felt really fine today but have relaxed a bit. Still have a slight tickly cough but I really think that working the lungs has worked. Just feel a bit washed out now but that is probably down to trying to get something done in the garden in the cold weather.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-01-13, 04:40 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
That exercise yesterday seems to have worked-Or perhaps it was not a cold coming on and just an off day. Felt really fine today but have relaxed a bit. Still have a slight tickly cough but I really think that working the lungs has worked. Just feel a bit washed out now but that is probably down to trying to get something done in the garden in the cold weather.
It sure sounded like a cold -- and a nasty one to boot!
... Glad you are feeling better. (Perhaps being in good shape helped your body fight it off?)
Old 03-02-13, 06:42 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I hate head colds and I think they are just as mean down here In Florida...