Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm a real cycling geek now!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 06:45 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Opened my delivered package today.Bought winter riding gear from nashbar.I found 1 hour to ride today to try them out.
The shoe covers kept my feet warm as toast.The gloves performed well keeping hands warm but they were slippery on the bars and hoods.They need some type of grip feature,not sure what to do.The baklava did its job on the head ears turkey neck and face.Im going to take awhile to get used to this piece.Covering my mouth seems awkward.Cool weather jacket blocked wind in the core.All I wore was a long sleeve tee shirt underneath at 44 degrees.I broke a small amount of sweat so I wouldn't want anything warmer.
Overall the winter cycling specific gear worked well.Working outside I have all kinds of winter clothes and usually come up with a mesh mosh of something.No need to anymore.Now if I can find a way to stop the laughs from the family members.
Old 01-12-14, 07:04 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I've had my mouth covered in baklava before If you can find some ice fishing gloves (neoprene, very similar to wetsuit diving gloves) in one size too large, they make good outer gloves over liners in the winter and have great grip and decent dexterity. If you don't like your balaclava covering your mouth, you can pull most of them down under your chin leaving your face exposed. At 44 degrees, as long as your ears, neck and top of your head are warm, your face should be OK exposed. You can always pull it back up if you get cold. As an alternative, you can get neoprene face masks that leave the area under the nose open and have a vented area in front of the mouth. Less of your warm, moist breath gets trapped so they stay drier. You can even wear one under your balaclava by pulling the balaclava under your chin leaving the face mask to do its thing while providing lots of insulation for the rest of your head.
Old 01-12-14, 08:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Opened my delivered package today.Bought winter riding gear from nashbar.I found 1 hour to ride today to try them out.
The shoe covers kept my feet warm as toast.The gloves performed well keeping hands warm but they were slippery on the bars and hoods.They need some type of grip feature,not sure what to do.The baklava did its job on the head ears turkey neck and face.Im going to take awhile to get used to this piece.Covering my mouth seems awkward.Cool weather jacket blocked wind in the core.All I wore was a long sleeve tee shirt underneath at 44 degrees.I broke a small amount of sweat so I wouldn't want anything warmer.
Overall the winter cycling specific gear worked well.Working outside I have all kinds of winter clothes and usually come up with a mesh mosh of something.No need to anymore.Now if I can find a way to stop the laughs from the family members.
If you're wearing a cotton long sleeve T then go look for some wicking polyester long sleeve T's. Much better at regulating temp.
Old 01-12-14, 08:13 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Those are some good choices for winter kit, hope you enjoy them. I use a UA Cold Gear balaclava when its cold out, only pulling the face guard up to my lower lip. It work well there and I don't feel like I am having to draw to breath in and out. Pulled down as an open face when it is not cold enough for the jaw to be covered. Post some pics when you can.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-12-14, 10:37 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I like the Underarmor skin tight shirts as a base layer... then the poly cycling jersey.
As a warm layer I use ether my foam-on-fabric cycling jersey-jacket with breathable panels, or a full length zippered polar fleece warm shirt.
Then (if it cold enough) my windbreaker rain jacket as an outer layer. I zip and unzip as my effort and prevailing winds and temperatures dictate.

I have tights... and also thermal tights. Sometimes I wear Arm and/or leg warmers if the weather isn't real cold..... or if it very cold I wear the warmers in addition to tights and the other clothing.

I have gloves... but that is my weak-link as far as keeping warm. I am not happy with the different gloves I've tried. When really cold I ride my mountain bike which is equipped with toe cages.... so I have great shoe options available and keeping my feet warm and dry isn't a problem.

In warm weather.... cycling is nearly a daily activity. But in the cold parts of my Midwestern winters... cycling is more of a treasured event. Not something I can do as often as I'd like to.
Old 01-12-14, 11:13 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
I've had my mouth covered in baklava before
You beat me to it.
Old 01-13-14, 06:08 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mmmm, Baklava.

Hope the gear suits you well.
Old 01-13-14, 03:38 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Other than wicking polypro, look at merino wool long sleeve under the wind breaker. Doesn't stink beyond chicken s**t after using it. I use mine all winter without washing, never stinks.
Old 01-13-14, 05:39 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Other than wicking polypro, look at merino wool long sleeve under the wind breaker. Doesn't stink beyond chicken s**t after using it. I use mine all winter without washing, never stinks.
Wash it!--even if it doesn't stink.
Old 01-13-14, 07:31 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the tips.The baklava thing is funny.I have this new I pad from my wife as a Christmas present.Im still getting used to it.No matter what I did the spell check kept changing baklava to baklava.See what I mean.I can't spell the proper word for the black winter head piece for cycling.
Old 01-14-14, 05:02 AM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Wash it!--even if it doesn't stink.
I have had the same wool sweater since 1986 and it has been washed once. One would think it would stink, but it does not. Even my clean freak wife doesn't complain, and believe me you, she would complain if it stunk! Magical for sure, but it works!
Old 01-14-14, 11:08 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You owe it to yourself!
Worry not about the laughs. They'll get used to it.
Winter cycling gear is some great stuff!
Old 01-15-14, 04:13 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think its a balaclava. Just sayin'.
They work well and if you have the option of peeling the face mask down, all the better, bought one at Sports Authority a few yrs ago and it works well.