Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for bike trainer stand

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 06:33 AM
runwiththewind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm looking for a trainer stand that is not expensive. I'm not a serious rider, only ride for exercise on a Trek hybrid. I don't have time or the weather is way too hot to ride outdoors. Your recommendations will be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-20-20, 07:36 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Can't help with the trainer search but there should be loads of old Vetta and RacerMate trainers gathering dust that you could find for pennies. I may still have on old Minoura Mag trainer but shipping would be a pain.

Regarding your sig quote: You do realize that Brock Yates was a car guy and the sentiment expressed is probably not meant to be flattering to bikes?.

Where are you located?
Old 06-20-20, 08:15 AM
runwiththewind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Can't help with the trainer search but there should be loads of old Vetta and RacerMate trainers gathering dust that you could find for pennies. I may still have on old Minoura Mag trainer but shipping would be a pain.

Regarding your sig quote: You do realize that Brock Yates was a car guy and the sentiment expressed is probably not meant to be flattering to bikes?.

Where are you located?
Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize I had a sig quote as I don't know who Brock Yates is. Where did you see this?
Old 06-20-20, 10:10 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
A snip of your original post, but it's actually at the bottom of each one so far:

Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-20-20, 11:58 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
A snip of your original post, but it's actually at the bottom of each one so far:

i suppose you could just as easily say the automobile is a child’s toy that, at least until the oil runs out, has been elevated to icon status because it can move the human form faster and more easily than it deserves on its own merits.

Otto
Old 06-20-20, 12:01 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Since you are asking for advice I offer mine.

Trainers, the type you attach your bike to, are like bicycles in that you get what you pay for. If you want something really really inexpensive, buy a foam mat. With this mat you lie on your back and make cycling motions with your feet/legs.

At the low end of the price point, trainers are a step up from this but not much of a step up. Sure someone will read this and proclaim me a trainer snob because the they have a sub-$100 trainer and it works. Ok fine.

If you ask me your time spent on a trainer has value beyond exercise. If you just want to make yourself fell good about getting your heart rate up a few clicks then an inexpensive wind trainer will accomplish that goal.

My wife has one of those home exercise bikes, the kind you see at yard sales all the time. But much like a wind trainer, the exercise bike is in actual use, boring. If they were exciting, then you wouldn't see them at yard sales. So the big problem to overcome is how to make indoor exercise less tedious? This was the question I faced this time last year.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I had my wife's never ever used exercise bike if I wanted to use that for free. I solved my problem by scanning craigslist. After weeks of looking, finally picked up a used Kinetic Road Machine for $50 This is a wheel-on fluid trainer that costs about $350+/- new. A $15/month subscription to Zwift and a few accessories later I went from hating indoor exercise bikes to putting a realistic 3300 miles, 280,000 feet of incline on my trainer in the last 6 months. I think I can make the claim that I'm in shape now, wasn't 7 months ago. Yesterday I rode my local Rail Trail 74 miles/1400 feet of climb on my hybrid bike. This would have been impossible this time last year and I have a budget trainer set up and a few add-ons plus my time and energy over last winter, coupled with a lack of tedium Zwift offers, to thank.

Having said all this in my opinion a mountain bike with knobby tires would probably not play well with a fluid trainer. Just remember you get what you pay for. Consider an old 10 speed with a trainer tire as a dedicated exercise bike.
Old 06-20-20, 04:12 PM
runwiththewind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. This is really strange and even stranger I can't edit it out. I went into About Me to edit it but for some reason I can't remove it.
Old 06-21-20, 07:11 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Where are you located? I have a trainer that I'm not using and will sell for a reasonable price (replaced by a YMCA bike when they bought new equipment). I looked at your profile and don't see a way to contact you privately (sorry mods).