Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

hand warmers not toe warmers

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 08:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts

this weekend I remembered that when I bike commuted the winter of 2009-10 I used hand warmers taped to my sock liners because toe warmers just weren't good enough

not because of the adhesive, but because the toe warmers don't work as well. btw the toe warmer adhesive doesn't work as well on silk or poly sock liners as well as it does on wool sock liners

fortunately, the shoes I'm using have a really roomy toe box

just thought I'd share that

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-29-17 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-04-17, 03:05 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's another tip. Your toe warmers, when put in a boot that doesn't breath, will run out of oxygen and stop working. After an hour when your feet start freezing, take a minute to stop and unlace your shoes and get the toes out for a shake and some fresh air. Anyway you can get some fresh air to the toe warmers will help them remain active. Many toe warmers are rated to keep warm for 7 hours so if you only ride for an hour put the packet in a sealed plastic baggie and when it uses up the oxygen it will stop and be available for the next ride.
Old 02-04-17, 10:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 837 Posts
Good tips...thanks for sharing!
Old 02-07-17, 11:51 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Here's another tip. Your toe warmers, when put in a boot that doesn't breath, will run out of oxygen and stop working.
Here's another tip. Get a new high quality winter boot (Sorel) that's two sizes too big! This way your toes don't touch the tip of the boot and your feet will be A LOT warmer!
Old 02-08-17, 03:32 AM
digibud

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Here's another tip. Get a new high quality winter boot (Sorel) that's two sizes too big! This way your toes don't touch the tip of the boot and your feet will be A LOT warmer!
The only catch there is 1) When you have size 13 shoes it's hard to get something big enough for two sets of thick socks and 2) Big boots are already pretty heavy. I have a pair of huge boots that are big enough to keep me warm but they're just too much for cycling. I much prefer a "normal" winter boot with a chem pack to wearing a huge boot. Plenty of folks up here were bunny boots when cycling but not me.

But a boot big enough to be roomy is critical, also, to ensure your foot isn't squeezed and blood flow is as good as it can get.
Old 02-08-17, 08:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
lol yeah, my size 14 Columbia winter boots are twice as wide as my pedals! :-)
Old 02-08-17, 09:07 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Here's another tip. Your toe warmers, when put in a boot that doesn't breath, will run out of oxygen and stop working. After an hour when your feet start freezing, take a minute to stop and unlace your shoes and get the toes out for a shake and some fresh air. Anyway you can get some fresh air to the toe warmers will help them remain active. Many toe warmers are rated to keep warm for 7 hours so if you only ride for an hour put the packet in a sealed plastic baggie and when it uses up the oxygen it will stop and be available for the next ride.
Run out of O2? Never has happened to me. Ever. Maybe my O2 is different in MA?
Old 02-08-17, 11:16 AM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
It's happened to me, but only when it gets really cold out. It's not like they stop working entirely, but the heat output is negligible until "freshened" as the OP suggests.
Old 02-08-17, 03:46 PM
digibud

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yep. It can happen

Originally Posted by Leebo

If your shoes allow enough air exchange to continue to provide oxygen to the hand warmers (the chem packs like "Grabber" hand warmers) then you'll have no problem but if you put a set into high top winter boots that are well sealed they will indeed shut down if the boots are made of materials that will prevent air flow. The chemical reaction involves iron powder and oxygen. No oxygen? No warmth. We use the 7hour hand warmers and typically go out for between one and two hours. When we get back, if we think of it, we put the hand warmers into a ziplock baggie and seal it. The chem reaction shuts down and the next day we can take out the same packets and use them again with no problem. Many shoes/boots allow enough air to get in so the chem reaction continues in those shoes.