Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

breath right nose strips

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

breath right nose strips

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 12:48 PM
slyjackson
Drop Master

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix / Scott CR-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
breath right nose strips

Does anyone here use these? I have tried them and I like them a lot since it does actually open up my nasal passage to allow me to breathe better. I do have a small nasal way and these strips really help. My problem is when I sweat, these things tend to come aloose. I have watched football guys play a whole game and are soaking wet with sweat and their breath right seems to stay stuck to their nose as it should.

Is there another brand out there that focuses on sports, whereas the adhesive is stronger? If so, anyone know where I can get them? The regular breath right tan or clear seem to have sticking problem with me and most of the guys I seen using a breath right strip are wearing black strips. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 02:45 PM
crash66
Lucky 47

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try cleaning the contact area of your nose with rubbing alcohol first, it will eliminate the natural oils and make the most of the adhesive power.
Old 04-02-08, 03:54 PM
huytheskigod

Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, clean the contact area real well and it should stay adhered better. Don't know about using them in exercise (haven't tried) but it does wonders for my sleep.
Old 04-02-08, 04:09 PM
tomoscotto

Bikes: Scott S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about cleaning it with alcohol, your LBS should have a small patch containing alcohol that comes with disk brake equipped bikes...
Old 04-02-08, 05:05 PM
huytheskigod

Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomoscotto
about cleaning it with alcohol, your LBS should have a small patch containing alcohol that comes with disk brake equipped bikes...
You can buy a similar thing in the first aid section of your drug store.
Old 04-02-08, 05:18 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomoscotto

Old 04-02-08, 05:20 PM
GRedner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear them every night, otherwise I sleep fitfully.

To keep them from coming off, wash your nose *really* well beforehand with something like Ivory soap, and then let it dry completely. Put the strip on and pinch for a few minutes (longer than the box instructions tell you to). Leave the strip on for a while before you do anything that will cause you to sweat, which will help "cure" the adhesive a bit more.

Also, make sure you're getting the tan-colored strips. The clear ones have weaker adhesive.
Old 04-02-08, 05:45 PM
slyjackson
Drop Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I was using the"Clear" type, I'm going to try the colored type tomorrow.
Old 04-02-08, 05:50 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
When I'm excercising I breathe through my mouth, so I can't see how they'd help. I can believe they help while sleeping.
My guess is that's it's a placebo thing for workouts - similar to guys who paint black stripes under their eyes.
Since I've never used them, it's possible I don't know what the heck I'm talking about !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-02-08, 08:12 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The clear ones suck.

I don't use them for riding but they are AWESOME for colds/congestion. I can't stress this enough.
Old 04-02-08, 08:44 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I too have to use them as my poor man's cure for sleep apnea.

The adhesives just don't work if you don't really clean the area well. That said if you clean then I have found that all but the cheapest strips will hold well.

On days that I commute by bike into work I will have slept all night with the strip on and I keep it on for the 24 miles in to work. It stays on just fine. I usually find I have to peel it off in the shower because it is while I am washing my face that I realize it is still there.

Even then....even drenched...it's still like pulling off an old band-aid.

I prefer the clear ones and I get great performance from them, but I wear a size L and they are sometimes hard to find in clear.

The tan ones do seem to adhere even better though.

Old 04-02-08, 11:05 PM
arterture

Bikes: an amazing Fuji Newest 3.0!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
When I'm excercising I breathe through my mouth, so I can't see how they'd help. I can believe they help while sleeping.
My guess is that's it's a placebo thing for workouts - similar to guys who paint black stripes under their eyes.
Since I've never used them, it's possible I don't know what the heck I'm talking about !
Umm from what I've heard, the black paint is supposed to keep sun light from deflecting off your face and into your eyes. I wouldn't call that, nor the nose strips a placebo effect. But then again I've never tried either of them so I don't really have any idea how well they work...
Old 04-03-08, 04:13 AM
slyjackson
Drop Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
From what I'm told, one should breath through the nose as much as possible. Breathing properly during exertion helps reduce your heart rate, improve your cardio-respiratory efficiency and can boost your performance.When exercising, breathing through your nose is more energy efficient.This has to do with maintaining the correct balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in our blood. When we breathe through our mouth we usually inhale and exhale air quickly in large volumes.

This can lead to hyperventilation (breathing excessively fast for the actual conditions in which we find ourselves). It is important to recognize that it is the amount of carbon dioxide in our blood that generally regulates our breathing. If we release carbon dioxide too quickly, the arteries and vessels carrying blood to our cells constrict and the oxygen in our blood is unable to reach the cells in sufficient quantity. This includes the carotid arteries, which carry blood (and oxygen) to the brain. The lack of sufficient oxygen going to the cells of the brain can turn on our sympathetic nervous system, our "fight or flight" response.

I have noticed that when i do get these things to stick which opens up my nasal passage more and i am able to take in large amounts of air through my nose instead of my mouth, I feel a lot better and i do ride better, almost like walking and breathing once my second wind kicks in (I can't think of a better way to describe it). I personally have never got a second wind huffing and puffing through my mouth as I ride, nor am I riding at my best when doing so. Of course in a sprint one would most likely have a need to open up and use the mouth, but I would never try and do a whole ride breathing through my mouth.
Old 04-03-08, 05:08 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by slyjackson
From what I'm told, one should breath through the nose as much as possible. Breathing properly during exertion helps reduce your heart rate, improve your cardio-respiratory efficiency and can boost your performance.When exercising, breathing through your nose is more energy efficient.This has to do with maintaining the correct balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in our blood. When we breathe through our mouth we usually inhale and exhale air quickly in large volumes.

This can lead to hyperventilation (breathing excessively fast for the actual conditions in which we find ourselves). It is important to recognize that it is the amount of carbon dioxide in our blood that generally regulates our breathing. If we release carbon dioxide too quickly, the arteries and vessels carrying blood to our cells constrict and the oxygen in our blood is unable to reach the cells in sufficient quantity. This includes the carotid arteries, which carry blood (and oxygen) to the brain. The lack of sufficient oxygen going to the cells of the brain can turn on our sympathetic nervous system, our "fight or flight" response.

I have noticed that when i do get these things to stick which opens up my nasal passage more and i am able to take in large amounts of air through my nose instead of my mouth, I feel a lot better and i do ride better, almost like walking and breathing once my second wind kicks in (I can't think of a better way to describe it). I personally have never got a second wind huffing and puffing through my mouth as I ride, nor am I riding at my best when doing so. Of course in a sprint one would most likely have a need to open up and use the mouth, but I would never try and do a whole ride breathing through my mouth.
Come on some of our rides. You will be breathing through your mouth, and not a lot of talking either !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-03-08, 05:09 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by slyjackson

+1 to all this and then read:

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5644
Old 04-03-08, 06:42 AM
slyjackson
Drop Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Good read!
Old 04-03-08, 09:18 AM
pagliaci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridiculous waste of money. Even partially obstructed orifices allow more passage of air than you'll ever need for exercise.

These strips may work as a sleep or snore aid but that's a whole different physiology.

Last edited by pagliaci; 04-03-08 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-08, 10:14 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by pagliaci
Ridiculous waste of money. Even partially obstructed orifices allow more passage of air than you'll ever need for exercise.

These strips may work as a sleep or snore aid but that's a whole different physiology.
+1. The amount of air you can suck through your nostrils is not the limiter to your aerobic performance.
(in fact when you do a V02 max test in the lab, it's done with your nose clothespinned shut.)

Anybody have any data, (not funded by the manufacturer) that actually shows any imrpovement.

Or any analysis, based on physiology, not transcendental meditation, that would explain how pulling your nostrils open would increase performance?

However, there is data that they won't help athletic performance:

https://sportsci.org/traintech/breatheright/fch.htm

Now, can we bring back the threads on lung training devices where you breath into the little kazoo device?

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-03-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 10:20 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I've never noticed a difference while riding. I can't breathe through my nose while riding with or without a nasal strip.

They rocked my world when it came to sleeping though.

I guess I just left them on because I already had them on when I go to do my commute. I figured - what can it hurt - other than by making me look more fredly while commuting (if that's possible).

Old 04-03-08, 10:22 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
^ In fact the commentators quoted on the site I linked suggest that the strips can be helpful for athletes, to the extent it helps them sleep better.
Old 04-03-08, 10:29 AM
eb314

Bikes: 07 Cannondale Six13 (9 speed Ultegra) + 19?? Lugged Steel Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you guys breathe through your mouth AND nose at the same time while exercising? If not...why not?
Old 04-03-08, 03:04 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to use them...and found the colored ones stuck better than the clear ones. I had my deviated septum repaired two years ago (long story, it sucked, but was well worth the benefits) and now I can breathe really well through my nose and don't need them anymore.
Old 04-03-08, 06:22 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode with them for quite a bit over the past couple years, and i sleep with them too, i've never had a problem with them coming off, i just splash my face with water and dry, then imidiately put on a clear strip and i've never ever had one come off, and i've only ever used the clear.

Cycling really does rely on the larger path of air, your mouth, for breathing, but i've found that having the nose strip for races, and hard rides, especialy climbing, helps me get just that little bit more air, and feel like i can breath just a little easier when i'm doing hard efforts and near max HR levels.

They also give me CRAZY dreams if i don't use them for sleeping for a while then put one on out of the blue before i go to bed.