Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Front Fork Clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 07:37 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Front Fork Clearance?

I just had a custom frame built and the clearance on the front fork seems unreasonably huge. I have 32mm tires, and have 1.5" clear vertically and .75" clear to the left and right. Thoughts?

Old 11-03-15, 07:23 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
How much clearance at at the seatstays and chainstays?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-03-15, 09:07 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm running tires that measure just over 1.25" wide when mounted, and have almost exactly 1/2" clearance on each side, and 1" above the tire. This measurement is almost exactly the same in the rear, 1/2" between the chainstays, and 1" from the seattube. So you have 50% more clearance, which I wouldn't mind on mine, really. Just means you can throw some 2.25" tires on there and go mash.
Old 11-03-15, 10:11 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
As a point of comparison, this is a pic of my fork with 700x33 tires:

I think you're good.
Old 11-03-15, 10:25 AM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fork: 3/4"
seatstays: 7/8"
chainstays: 1/4"

That chainstay clearance seems to throw off the theory of throwing on some wide tires and mashing, no?
I will add that this is my first non-road or track bike, so any "unnecessary" clearances look incredibly strange to me.
Old 11-03-15, 10:30 AM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K
As a point of comparison, this is a pic of my fork with 700x33 tires: I think you're good.
I'd tend to agree on a canti bike, where all that muck gets picked up and builds up at the fork area, but that's much less of an issue on a disc bike.
Old 11-03-15, 10:35 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
After this year's Dirty Kanza 200, I don't think you can have too much tire+mud clearance. And my bike is a disc brake bike.

I rode 38mm tires on a fork with 50mm between the fork legs. The mud was so sticky that it would jam the front wheel in the time it took the contact patch to rotate around to the fork legs -- about 1/3 of a wheel revolution.
Old 11-03-15, 10:58 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by bowermb
I'd tend to agree on a canti bike, where all that muck gets picked up and builds up at the fork area, but that's much less of an issue on a disc bike.
Obviously cantis make it much worse, but with the right mud the tire alone will pack on a lot of mud.

You clearly have a very generous amount of clearance, but that's probably not a bad thing. The main downside would seem to be the appearance with skinnier tires. The upside is mud clearance and the ability to use wider tires.
Old 11-03-15, 12:52 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Looks like plenty of room for a 40mm tire in front. Too bad the builder didn't give you similar clearance at the chainstays. Did you discuss tire clearance with the builder before the build and did he deliver what you asked for?
Old 11-03-15, 01:04 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Looks like plenty of room for a 40mm tire in front. Too bad the builder didn't give you similar clearance at the chainstays. Did you discuss tire clearance with the builder before the build and did he deliver what you asked for?
Yep, I said I'd be using 32mm tires, so he could set that as the max for clearance. Doesn't seem like he paid any attention to that.
Old 11-03-15, 01:54 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Yep, I said I'd be using 32mm tires, so he could set that as the max for clearance. Doesn't seem like he paid any attention to that.
I'd be pissed too. That's too big for a 32 max, especially since there's so much top clearance but not really that much side clearance.
Old 11-03-15, 02:06 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just had a custom frame built and the clearance on the front fork seems unreasonably huge. I have 32mm tires, and have 1.5" clear vertically and .75" clear to the left and right. Thoughts?

There's an appearance thing going on with the pic. The shot. with bottom bracket resting on the ground, doesn't really give the visual reference that the bike would were both wheels mounted and you shot the image again standing in the front.
Old 11-03-15, 02:11 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cale
There's an appearance thing going on with the pic. The shot. with bottom bracket resting on the ground, doesn't really give the visual reference that the bike would were both wheels mounted and you shot the image again standing in the front.
not sure what you're asking for, but the shot was taken with both wheels installed. there's some kind of optical illusion going on.
Old 11-03-15, 02:13 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
not sure what you're asking for, but the shot was taken with both wheels installed. there's some kind of optical illusion going on.
Okay, it looks like the front wheel is installed in a bare frame without rear wheel. I couldn't/can't see the rear wheel.
Old 11-03-15, 02:20 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you can see the shiny freehub at the top of the frame
Old 11-03-15, 02:22 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
What he gave you was versitility and you will thank him later when you want to put some 43mm Rock&Roads in there (and you will). The only cost for the additional clearance is asthetics.
Old 11-03-15, 02:24 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
you can see the shiny freehub at the top of the frame
You see a freehub, I see a bright spot, could be a freehub, bikes is in the midst of a build... didn't see any tire. I was just pointing out that the perspective, appearance of abnormally large gap can change depending on how close you stand to the bike. I couldn't get a reference to go by from your shot. That's all.
Old 11-03-15, 02:25 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Ya versitility to run a 43mm tire in the front and a 32mm tire in the back. That's great.

: /
Old 11-03-15, 02:48 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Front clearance appears to be dictated by the decision to use a lugged crown on the fork. Builder used on the of the commercially available crowns (because casting a custom one would be prohibitively expensive) The vertical clearance could be related to having an axle-to-crown that works with the rest of the geometry. Or to have the same axle-to-crown as "common" cyclocross forks so the owner can replace it if they want to.

As a side note, 32mm max strikes me as a rather odd size limitation. 33mm I could understand if the OP wants to stick to cyclocross tires -which mostly come in 33mm or less because UCI. Not that a millimeter will make a huge difference, is just an odd tire size limit to me.
Old 11-03-15, 02:51 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Ya versitility to run a 43mm tire in the front and a 32mm tire in the back. That's great.

: /
Since the frame is unpainted a simple crimping of the chainstays will correct that.

Also, when building forks for cross, there are not that many fork crowns to choose from. Currently, most have around 50mm between the blades. Looks like he used this crown for straight blade. NOVA CYCLO-X FORK CROWN FULL SLOPE 28.6 7° OFFSET :: FORK CROWNS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

hopefully he used the right blades for disk brakes.
Old 11-03-15, 02:57 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Since the frame is unpainted a simple crimping of the chainstays will correct that.

Also, when building forks for cross, there are not that many fork crowns to choose from. Currently, most have around 50mm between the blades. Looks like he used this crown for straight blade. NOVA CYCLO-X FORK CROWN FULL SLOPE 28.6 7° OFFSET :: FORK CROWNS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

hopefully he used the right blades for disk brakes.
You can see the mount in the lower right corner. Haha
Old 11-03-15, 11:30 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

You can see the mount in the lower right corner. Haha
I meant the actual fork blades. Blades for disk brakes are thicker to fight the forces the brakes put on the forks. You won't be able to see that in the photo.
Old 11-04-15, 12:10 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I meant the actual fork blades. Blades for disk brakes are thicker to fight the forces the brakes put on the forks. You won't be able to see that in the photo.
How much stronger do sturdy steel forks have to get? Those look amply capable. Just my opinion.
Old 11-04-15, 05:18 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, when building forks for cross, there are not that many fork crowns to choose from. Currently, most have around 50mm between the blades.
+1

Less than 33c is essentially CX racing spec. Very few race bikes run steel forks, so demand for lugged crowns in those sizes is pretty near zero. My builder does unicrown forks to keep control of the spacing for people like me that still want a steel fork, but most buyers just opt for carbon forks even on steel frames.
Old 11-04-15, 09:39 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

How much stronger do sturdy steel forks have to get? Those look amply capable. Just my opinion.
Standard fork blades taper from around .9mm to .6mm where the disk blades are around 1.1mm wall thickness. Disk brakes shift the forces from the top of the crown to the blades so the thicker blades compensate for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.