Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Niner RLT 9

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Niner RLT 9

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 07:12 PM
zachv81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Niner RLT 9

Has anyone ridden one of these on a tour or long ride before? I am looking specifically at the aluminum version. Any input or comments welcomed!
Old 07-12-16, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I haven't ridden it before but have heard many good things about the steel version which really why would you want aluminum at that point?

I do want to put a plug in for the new Specialized Sequoia which is making a triumphant return and should be quite awesome for medium touring/bikepacking and just awesomeness. The middle to the end of the Sequoia was mediocre at best but the beginning was awesome and the new one should be quite a fun ride. 1x drivetrain, hydro discs, room for 47mm tires and also swappable with 650b, 3 bottle cage mounts on the lovely steel frame and two on the carbon fork as well as rack and fender mounts. It has got some commonality with bikes like the Jamis Renegade and the RLT 9s but I think has some refinements and improvements from what I have seen in the recent peeks at it on various sites.
Old 07-12-16, 11:14 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
The alloy version of the RLT 9 is pretty awesome. It has a carbon fork, which, with the alloy frame would make for a nice light bike, as well as a decent Tiagra drivetrain. I would put a wolftooth roadlink on it and one of the new extended range sunrace cassettes with some bike packing bags or a Tubus Vega rear rack. It would also be a good candidate for the WTB Road Plus Horizon tire on 650B Alex rims, but you would have to check for clearance.

The stance may be a little aggressive for really long rides, but that's just me, and I would like to see a little more clearance for fatter 700c tires, but all in all, I think it's a really decent bike for the money.
Old 07-13-16, 12:03 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
RTL 9 looks quite interesting, very light & complete bike avail for $2k. 9.5 kg/21 lb, wow. Specialized Sequoias are all-steel or steel/carbon fork but still 11 kg/24 lb, not too shabby. AFAIK only the Sequoia Elite has the single chainwheel & the mid/lower-price versions are 2X. Makes one think twice about trad 13 kg/28 lb traditional steel tourer. RTL 9 & Sequoia both drop-bar (nice) but I'd like to see triple-chainring version with even a bit more tire/fender clearance. No reason why non-suspension bikes intended for off-road can't allow for 57 mm/2.25" tires. RTL 9/Sequoia are techier-type bikes so why not have Gates belt-compatible rear dropout?
Old 07-13-16, 01:23 AM
PDKL45

These are all good points, but the AWOL, designed by the same guy as the Sequoia, Erik Nohlin, had problems with the rear rocker dropouts (anecdotal reports on the Internet). People had problems getting them to align properly and then found it difficult to keep them properly in place once they were aligned.

Also, the AWOL was designed for Shimano Alfine IGH with a belt, rather than a Rohloff. Rohloff compatible dropout chips were released for the AWOL, but they don't seem to have taken off in a big way. I think the designer--or a product manager at the big S--was a little bit sick of the rocker dropouts, as the 2016 range of AWOLS largely avoided them, except for the frameset AFAIK. Maybe there is a lack of enthusiasm for rocker dropouts at Specialized at the moment?

Last edited by PDKL45; 07-13-16 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-13-16, 06:11 AM
edthesped

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
These are all good points, but the AWOL, designed by the same guy as the Sequoia, Erik Nohlin, had problems with the rear rocker dropouts (anecdotal reports on the Internet). People had problems getting them to align properly and then found it difficult to keep them properly in place once they were aligned.

Also, the AWOL was designed for Shimano Alfine IGH with a belt, rather than a Rohloff. Rohloff compatible dropout chips were released for the AWOL, but they don't seem to have taken off in a big way. I think the designer--or a product manager at the big S--was a little bit sick of the rocker dropouts, as the 2016 range of AWOLS largely avoided them, except for the frameset AFAIK. Maybe there is a lack of enthusiasm for rocker dropouts at Specialized at the moment?
I've had an AWOL Comp for almost 2 years now. The dropouts came out of alignment the first week I had the bike, I torqued them according to the sheet and haven't had an issue since. FWIW, I built this up from a frameset and never checked the dropouts so they may not have been properly tightened at the factory. Aligning them is a freaking PITA. They have a scale on the swinger portion and there's nothing on the rounded chainstay to use as a reference so it's eyeball all of the way. Overall I have no complaints about the AWOL.

Also, the Sequoya doesn't have swinger dropouts so dismissing it due to the dropout design on the AWOL would be like dismissing the Vaya because of the dropout design on the Vaya Travel.

edit: Being that I have no intentions of running IGH or belt drive the swinger dropouts are a waste. The only reason I would buy the AWOL elite is for the 825 steel. I digress, sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in need of an n+1 and the RLT, Warbird and now Sequoya are on my list. I want fat tires, fenders and speed.

Last edited by edthesped; 07-13-16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-13-16, 08:47 AM
PDKL45

I'm not dismissing it at all. I was looking at the Sequoia Elite specs earlier and thinking that the Sequoia Elite is pretty much specced how I would like my AWOL to be. I would buy the Elite, over the top model, in a heartbeat if I had the money.
Old 07-13-16, 10:16 AM
edthesped

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
I'm not dismissing it at all. I was looking at the Sequoia Elite specs earlier and thinking that the Sequoia Elite is pretty much specced how I would like my AWOL to be. I would buy the Elite, over the top model, in a heartbeat if I had the money.
Sorry, I misunderstood. It seems many are not very keen on the AWOL but I have to say I've been quite pleased with it. My daughter claimed mine, then took an internship out of country so I re-claimed it for the summer. In any event I'm looking for a replacement and am wondering if I should look for something a little livelier and the Sequoia, Warbird, RLT and to some extent Rove look interesting.

Last edited by edthesped; 07-13-16 at 10:30 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 07-13-16, 11:34 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
RTL 9 looks quite interesting, very light & complete bike avail for $2k. 9.5 kg/21 lb, wow. Specialized Sequoias are all-steel or steel/carbon fork but still 11 kg/24 lb, not too shabby. AFAIK only the Sequoia Elite has the single chainwheel & the mid/lower-price versions are 2X. Makes one think twice about trad 13 kg/28 lb traditional steel tourer. RTL 9 & Sequoia both drop-bar (nice) but I'd like to see triple-chainring version with even a bit more tire/fender clearance. No reason why non-suspension bikes intended for off-road can't allow for 57 mm/2.25" tires. RTL 9/Sequoia are techier-type bikes so why not have Gates belt-compatible rear dropout?
I think a 1x set up is pretty nice especially with the newer ridiculously wide range cassettes and derailleur mount options from folks like Wolf Tooth. Keep it simple off road. Though I do like triples, I think the triple would make most sense on the AWOL.

It would be cool to see a Rohloff/Gates version with a hydro disc integrated shifter but I don't know if Rohloff has that in their plans or if they can get around all the patents and such.

I think going to a 2.25 tire is a little crazy but everyone seems to be going fat these days so maybe it would be kinda cool to have that in a drop bar.
Old 07-13-16, 12:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tour on Any Bike You Like , It's the activity not the hardware.

I've seen all sorts of bikes on the road, here, a very Popular tour destination & waypoint.
Old 07-13-16, 03:29 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by edthesped
Sorry, I misunderstood. It seems many are not very keen on the AWOL but I have to say I've been quite pleased with it. My daughter claimed mine, then took an internship out of country so I re-claimed it for the summer. In any event I'm looking for a replacement and am wondering if I should look for something a little livelier and the Sequoia, Warbird, RLT and to some extent Rove look interesting.
No problem. I love my AWOL Deluxe dearly, but I really understand the desire for something a little more lively.

You mention the Rove. Kona sell a Rove Ti frameset that I would love to build up as a minimalist speed machine with a 1x11 drive train, WTB or Compass 650bx47 tires and fenders.

Last edited by PDKL45; 07-13-16 at 05:04 PM.