Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Homemade rollers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Homemade rollers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 07:08 PM
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Homemade rollers?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has made homemade rollers? If so how did it work out. I am interested in trying to make some. They just have to be functional. I dont really care how they look.

I have access to many many tools for free. My brother works at a metal shop. They have tons of 3" stainless steel tubing that I could use for the rollers and have end caps welded on. Welding (mig, tig ect) is no problem. I have access to a plasma cutter, CNC machines, and many other things.

I also work at a hardware store and have access to all taps, dies, bearing, belts, angle iron ect... I can also get 3" PVC pipe. (I have seen Tacx makes a PVC roller).

Any tips on this? PVC or Metal? Either way it will probably be 3" rollers. Is the added weight of the stainless better or worse?

Thanks
Old 01-08-07, 07:53 PM
mezza

Bikes: Steel geared. Steel Fix.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems you already have everything planned out and all the gear. It wouldn't be difficult.

Just do it.
Old 01-08-07, 07:55 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What could go wrong?

Well... do it anyway and post some pics of what you come up with.
Old 01-08-07, 07:56 PM
Turboem1
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok well just one question. I have never ridden rollers. Where does the resistance come from? Does changing the radius/diameter effect resistance? Are they supposed to be low resistance?

Thanks
Old 01-08-07, 08:12 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't forget the bearings at the end of each of the rollers. 6 total.
Old 01-08-07, 08:13 PM
Chad4yew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
krazyderek's thread on his home made rollers. Try giving him a pm if you have questions.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...motion+rollers

Where abouts on Long Island are you? You sound just like me with all the resources.
Old 01-08-07, 08:26 PM
Chad4yew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is something about roller size from https://www.sportcrafters.com/rollers.htm:

Originally Posted by https://www.sportcrafters.com/rollers.htm
Discussion On Roller Drum Diameter

Selection of the proper drum diameter for your level of training is very important. Larger drum diameters of 4” or more are made popular by a lot of manufacturers, however you’ve probably noticed these are typically sold with resistance units. Large drums give you a relatively easy spin on high pressure road tires, and a little more aggressive spin on mountain bike tires. If you train on hybrid or mountain bike tires and your body weight is above 170 pounds, you may want to stick with the larger drums.

Smaller diameter drums give you increased natural resistance from tire compression. Some rollers are as small as 2-1/4” which promise a very strenuous workout no matter who you are or what gear you’re in. We don’t recommend this; rollers should always allow you a moderate workout to simulate a level road. Whether you add resistance to provide some occasional uphill simulation is up to you, but you shouldn’t be fighting your roller constantly.

We’ve found that drums in the 3” to 3.5” range give you a good workout and relatively easy spin on high pressure road tires at your normal road speed range, assuming your body weight is less than 220 lbs and you’re in good physical conditioning. Resistance can be added to these units if needed for stronger workouts, but most people find drum diameters in this range to give them the best overall training. Resistance will change with speed, so your gearing will give you a very wide band of resistance range.
If your body weight is higher and you ride a road bike, the smaller diameter drums will give you appropriate resistance but you may need to gear down to a speed less than typical road speed. Your other option is to step up in diameter if you want to use your normal gearing.
Old 01-09-07, 09:11 AM
Turboem1
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad4yew
krazyderek's thread on his home made rollers. Try giving him a pm if you have questions.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...motion+rollers

Where abouts on Long Island are you? You sound just like me with all the resources.
Originally Posted by Chad4yew
Here is something about roller size from https://www.sportcrafters.com/rollers.htm:
I saw that thread. He bought the TacX Rollers and added the free motion assembly. I am looking to just make the rollers.

I am in Nassau County (bellmore to be exact). How about you? Also thanks for the link on roller size. I think Im going to stick with 3".
Old 01-09-07, 09:16 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate that you want to do this yourself but you know you can get rollers for about $100 ??

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

I envy the amount of spare time you have.....
Old 01-09-07, 09:51 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
I appreciate that you want to do this yourself but you know you can get rollers for about $100 ??

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

I envy the amount of spare time you have.....

I was thinking the same thing. I have the performance rollers and they suit me just fine. If you just want the satisfaction of building something yourself, then go for it. But certainly don't do it to save money.
Old 01-09-07, 09:53 AM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=21082

These are what I just bought. I value my time more than my money in this particular case.
Old 01-09-07, 10:17 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Oh, I thought you were going to use three of these

It was in that quote from the other thread, but if you didn't notice it, the resistance is made by the tires being compressed on the rollers (less surface area means more compression). My impression has been that they give you slightly less resistance than cruising on a flat, smooth road.
Old 01-09-07, 11:31 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much could you possibly save over a set of Performance rollers? seems not worth it on the surface.
Old 01-09-07, 11:36 AM
jamiewilson3

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dial_tone
How much could you possibly save over a set of Performance rollers? seems not worth it on the surface.
+1. First thing that came to mind. I bought mine for $99 + 10% off. Even better deals can be had than that at times. You cant buy frame material, 6 bearings, and 3 aluminum rollers for that.
Old 01-09-07, 12:49 PM
Turboem1
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not have to pay for materials or labor. But yes I will have my time invested in it. I didnt realize how cheap some of the rollers were. I may just pick up some of the $100 ones.
Old 06-05-08, 07:51 AM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is an awsome idea. I would see your main tool being a metal lathe though. Steel would work ok for the drums, except you may run into rust problems soon after you're done. Hence why most are aluminum. PVC and all those like materials don't seem to hold up quite as well as metal cause the rollers can get a bit hot at times depending on your tires.

If i were to make some, i would aim to create something that incorporates a flyweel into the design like the Tru Trainner Sure you can get cheap rollers, but you can save yourself some money if you create something that sells for 300-600$.
I'm not really sure if just using really heavy steel rollers would do the job, or if you would need a larger seperate spinning mass. But maybe you could just do 2 standard rollers, with one heavy rollers in the middle?

Either way you may want to consider other sizes, 3" is fairly standard, but something like 2.5" or 2.25" or 2" would offer more resistance.

Anyways, hope this isn't to late. Post some pics of how you made out.
Old 06-05-08, 07:54 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by krazyderek
I think this is an awsome idea. I would see your main tool being a metal lathe though. Steel would work ok for the drums, except you may run into rust problems soon after you're done. Hence why most are aluminum. PVC and all those like materials don't seem to hold up quite as well as metal cause the rollers can get a bit hot at times depending on your tires.

If i were to make some, i would aim to create something that incorporates a flyweel into the design like the [URL="htt p://www.trutrainer.com/products_rollers.shtm l"]Tru Trainner[/ RL] Sure you can get cheap rollers, but you can save yourself some money if you create something that sells for 300-600$.
I'm not really sure if just using really heavy steel rollers would do the job, or if you would need a larger seperate spinning mass. But maybe you could just do 2 standard rollers, with one heavy rollers in the middle?

Either way you may want to consider other sizes, 3" is fairly standard, but something like 2.5" or 2.25" or 2" would offer more resistance.

Anyways, hope this isn't to late. Post some pics of how you made out.
01-09-07, 11:49 AM
Turboem1
Banned.
Old 06-05-08, 08:09 AM
p0cket penguins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFw...eature=related

1min 40 seconds in... thats totally me ..... this whole roller situations intrigues me though
Old 06-05-08, 08:43 AM
p0cket penguins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for the people that have the Travel Trac Technique PRO alloy rollers, doe it have a belt grove on both sides of the rolls ?
Old 06-05-08, 08:43 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
iirc yes.
Old 06-05-08, 08:52 AM
akatsuki

Bikes: Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
I do not have to pay for materials or labor. But yes I will have my time invested in it. I didnt realize how cheap some of the rollers were. I may just pick up some of the $100 ones.
Since you have the tools and equipment, just pick up cheap rollers and then go the extra step of making them free-motion. That is where you could get some significant savings and it would be worth your time.
Old 06-05-08, 09:01 AM
p0cket penguins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they do then you can throw on a tacx speedmatic bolt on resistance belt unit

https://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='2914-00'
Old 06-05-08, 09:51 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of Performance rollers I found at a 2nd hand sports equipment store for a pretty good price. I tried them and found I do not really like rollers. I would sell them, but the shipping charges to Long Island would eat you up.

In my experience the resistance is more than riding on the road. Riding on rollers is a little like a fixie must be. You do not coast, but must pedal all of the time.

I thought I must be doing something wrong, but watched a couple of videos on YouTube and discovered my sensations while on rollers are the shared experiences of others.

I really doubt that it would pay out to make your own rollers, unless there is some feature you cannot get commercially, but you could incorporate it into your rollers.