Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Synapse Models - I am so confused

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 09:46 AM
samersereau

Bikes: '08 Cannondale Synapse 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have tried to compare these models side by side on paper, but I confess I am not to sure what I am looking at. Here are the Cannondale models that I am considering. I understand the different components, but I don't understand the frame build and shape.

Synapse 6 (Triple)
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/c...el-8RAS6T.html

Synapse Sport 5
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/c...el-8RAY5T.html

Can someone please explain what the story is on Sport? Is it just a "more comfortable position" then a regular synapse? But I thought the entire Synapse line was supposed to be comfort. So does this mean that "Sport" is even more comfortable of an already comfortable design? I already have a hybrid that I am looking to replace with a road bike. I will rule out the sport if it means I will be sitting as upright as I do on my hybrid.

A bit about me...

6'0 260 pounds with a unique build. Even though I am 6'0, I have a relatively short inseam (I wear 30 pants) my longer torso is what makes me 6'0.

My rides.
1x a week 30-40 miles on hilly roads
2x a week 10-20 miles on same
Old 04-14-08, 10:03 AM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats correct. The Sport is in fact even more upright with a longer wheelbase, and can accept fenders so it almost certainly uses long reach brakes. It also comes with wider tires stock.
Old 04-14-08, 10:09 AM
samersereau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teterider
Thats correct. The Sport is in fact even more upright with a longer wheelbase, and can accept fenders so it almost certainly uses long reach brakes. It also comes with wider tires stock.
So its even more upright then the Synapse 6? I thought the whole synapse line was more upright to begin with. I don't want something that is going to out me in the hybrid position I am currently am in.
Old 04-14-08, 10:45 AM
dark13star
Mountain Goat

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The geometry is right there for each of them, but you can see the difference by clicking on the links while looking at the photos. The angles are a little different, but the neck is a lot different. Much higher angle...

It doesn't look like either of these bikes will put you in a hybrid position, but the sport will put you much more upright.

The standard Synapse (I ride the Synapse 3 Carbon) in not much outside of a race position. It has about an inch of spacers on the neck, but I have tried my flipped and can be lower down quiet easily. If you flipped the sport, you would still have a lot of angle there raising the bars.

You really need to ride them to tell what works for you.
Old 04-14-08, 11:57 AM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Synapse and I test rode a Synapse Sport. The big differences is in the Sport model's rear triangle (tubes) of the bike; the tubes are much more flexible and make the rear end of the bike a lot softer. What that means is the rear of the bike absorbs bumps really well but it absorbs sprinting power really well, too, so it's awful at sprinting and probably awful for climbing, too, if you like to climb out of saddle. Also be weary of the Shimano W550 or whatever 105-level wheels are on the bike. They're reputed to not hold up well under heavier riders.
Old 04-14-08, 06:43 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdin77
I have a Synapse and I test rode a Synapse Sport. The big differences is in the Sport model's rear triangle (tubes) of the bike; the tubes are much more flexible and make the rear end of the bike a lot softer. What that means is the rear of the bike absorbs bumps really well but it absorbs sprinting power really well, too, so it's awful at sprinting and probably awful for climbing, too, if you like to climb out of saddle.
In other words, a Synapse would be a better cruising bike, and a CAAD9 a better racing bike?

Also be weary of the Shimano W550 or whatever 105-level wheels are on the bike. They're reputed to not hold up well under heavier riders.
I figure that I'll have to replace my own 550s sometime; just haven't decided what to choose from the several setups that have been recommended here.

Anyway, I think that the riding position can be changed pretty easily on the Sport; flip the stem down and it'll be nearly identical to the 6 model.

The gist of it is, the regular Synapse is a raceworthy bike built more for bad roads (Cannondale's marketing stuff always shows the racing on cobblestones), and the Sport is a fast enough everyday road bike that's rack- and fender-ready with no extra effort.

Of course, that isn't the only way to see things, either. I ride my CAAD8 to work all the time.

If you can take those two bikes out for a ride -- and maybe a lower-spec Six13 and CAAD9 for comparison -- do so. You'll find out a lot for yourself that we'll always have trouble describing here.
Old 04-14-08, 06:51 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the sport Alu?? The synapse is a decent racing bike, doesn't have the twitchy resposivness of a CADD8 or 9, but it's smoother and a little more forgiving for races on roads that aren't, shall we say "ideal".
Old 04-14-08, 06:57 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krazyderek
Isn't the sport Alu??
Yup, both Sport versions are aluminum, as are the Synapse 6 and 7. The Synapse 5 & up are full carbon.
Old 04-14-08, 08:18 PM
samersereau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP Here...

I have a Synapse and I test rode a Synapse Sport. The big differences is in the Sport model's rear triangle (tubes) of the bike; the tubes are much more flexible and make the rear end of the bike a lot softer. What that means is the rear of the bike absorbs bumps really well but it absorbs sprinting power really well, too, so it's awful at sprinting and probably awful for climbing, too, if you like to climb out of saddle. Also be weary of the Shimano W550 or whatever 105-level wheels are on the bike. They're reputed to not hold up well under heavier riders.
This is incredibly helpful!! I have been leaning towards the Sport up until now. Of course I haven't ruled it out, but I have to say this is definitely a variable. As I mentioned, 90% of all my riding is on very hilly roads. I also tend to find myself staying seated while climbing (which may be due to the fact that I am using a hybrid) Maybe that will change when I make the move to a road bike. Also I am 6'0 and 260lbs, which makes me concerned about those wheels as well.

May I ask what other factors caused you to choose the Synapse 6?
Old 04-14-08, 08:46 PM
thirdin77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my rundown:

Caad Frames: stiffest, most power transmissive, stiffest ride
Synapse Frames: less stiff & less power transmissive; more forgiving ride; strikes a compromise between performance and ride quality
Synapse Sport Frames: not stiff at all, very good ride quality; has rear rack eyelets and room for full fenders; Cannondale considers this a light touring bike

All three bikes are aluminum (Synapse 6 and 7), can take half fenders, can be commuted on. Just pick what frame you like best.

If the OP likes to climb hills out of saddle, I doubt he'll like the Synapse Sport. This is assuming, of course, that he can even find one locally.
Old 04-14-08, 09:02 PM
samersereau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my rundown:

Caad Frames: stiffest, most power transmissive, stiffest ride
Synapse Frames: less stiff & less power transmissive; more forgiving ride; strikes a compromise between performance and ride quality
Synapse Sport Frames: not stiff at all, very good ride quality; has rear rack eyelets and room for full fenders; Cannondale considers this a light touring bike

All three bikes are aluminum (Synapse 6 and 7), can take half fenders, can be commuted on. Just pick what frame you like best.

If the OP likes to climb hills out of saddle, I doubt he'll like the Synapse Sport. This is assuming, of course, that he can even find one locally.
OP Here...

My local LBS has both the Synapse 6 and Sport 5 in stock in my size. I plan to ride them again soon.

Is it safe to say that since I live in such a hilly area, I should stay away from the Sport? Will I really be loosing that much power? How about the fact that it has 105 components? Surely that weighs in its favor.

Also, in a previous thread you mentioned that you rode them both. What was the factor that made you go with the Synapse 6?
Old 04-15-08, 12:26 AM
thirdin77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by samersereau
OP Here...

My local LBS has both the Synapse 6 and Sport 5 in stock in my size. I plan to ride them again soon.

Is it safe to say that since I live in such a hilly area, I should stay away from the Sport? Will I really be loosing that much power? How about the fact that it has 105 components? Surely that weighs in its favor.

Also, in a previous thread you mentioned that you rode them both. What was the factor that made you go with the Synapse 6?
I wouldn't say to stay away from the Sport 5 but what you should do is to ride it and the Synapse 6 on the same route, along the same pavement- be it good or poor, and ride them in the same manner. Climb on both in the manner in which you like to climb and if you like to sprint, then sprint. Just put the bikes through the same paces. And again, ride both up some hills.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the tires on the Sport are wider; they're 25's which a lot of people feel will give a softer ride than 23's. Just make sure that both bikes are running the same tire pressure as that is the only thing you can do to try to make the comparison of the two bikes more equal.

I actually didn't choose the Synapse over the Sport because I wasn't presented with them both at the same time; I was presented with a Synapse first and I liked it so I got one. It wasn't until later that I happened upon a Sport 5 at a local dealer and I test rode it and noticed how different it was from my Synapse 3.