Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can I Freshen Up My Bike With New Decals Over the Old Paint?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 11:50 PM
sciencemonster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My paints not so bad, but all my decals have faded to nothing.

Can I just get new ones from that Australian guy and slap them on there? Do I then have to 'clear coat' them, whatever that entails? Is that hard/tricky? Would I have to scrap off the old ones, or can I just slap new ones over the old ones?

Or should I not worry about being all flashy...
Old 01-25-10, 04:30 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I think it would be fine without clear coat. I don't know that every single bike had the decals clear coated over to begin with (but I am no expert). I would remove the old decals before installing the new ones, a hair dryer might help. I bought the cyclomondo decals for my Raleigh professional and just left them raw. The decals look great and I haven't had any issues, of course I do not ride that bike very much.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-25-10, 05:00 AM
wtgrantham

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Those decals do not need to be clearcoated and are much more durable than original decals (which usually were not clearcoated). They can also be "wet" applied so you can get them into place without the "one chance" method.
Old 01-25-10, 06:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 963 Posts
I have used this fellow's decals and they are not at all difficult to install. You do have to be careful and follow the included instruction sheet. As for clear coat, I did not use it on my PX10 but doing so would not hurt.

If you would like a bit of advice for removing old art you might find this article on removing stickers worth a moment of your time.

https://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe...d_Stickers.htm

Hope this is a help.
Old 01-25-10, 07:00 AM
shrinkboy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i recall a long time ago using carbon tetrachloride to remove decals-- seems i remember that they simply dissolved and came off in the rag-- can anyone verify?
Old 01-25-10, 07:21 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 141 Posts
Nail polish remover does a good job. You can get vinyl decals that might be the most durable. Spraying a little slightly soapy water on the spots where a decal is to be applied allows the decal to be moved around before it sticks.
Old 01-25-10, 07:59 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
The only bike I have with clearcoat over the decals is the one that Dr. Deltron painted.
Old 01-25-10, 09:52 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 353 Posts
I guess one question though is: will you be happy doing just the decals. Not sure what bike you are cleaning up, but bear in mind the decals could run you $40-50.....if you put them on and then decide they look too nice and now the paint needs doing (etc....) you may have wasted some money....

Perhaps some photos to show the relative degradation of the decal vs the paint would be good (alway like pictures!)

Mark
Old 01-25-10, 09:59 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Yes. No clear coat required, and the new decals seem to be better quality, as far as material and adhesive, than the originals.

I used X-treme Goo Gone and a rag to get rid of the decals. There were no stickers, but a hair dryer works fine to heat/peel.
After that, I cleaned it well with mineral spirits. Some touchup if you need it, then some rubbing compound to smooth up the touchup.
Clean it well again, then apply the decals. If you just stick them on, be right the first time. If you want to adjust, use water.
I did not clear over the decals, just applied a couple coats of paste wax. I expect to get a little patina on the bike as I use it.

Now, you can always go the clear coat route, but in that case, you should wet-sand the bike before applying decals, so after you apply decals, you can have someone shoot clear over them. This requires stripping the bike of it's components, for the most part.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-25-10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 11:41 AM
sciencemonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
I guess one question though is: will you be happy doing just the decals. Not sure what bike you are cleaning up, but bear in mind the decals could run you $40-50.....if you put them on and then decide they look too nice and now the paint needs doing (etc....) you may have wasted some money....

Perhaps some photos to show the relative degradation of the decal vs the paint would be good (alway like pictures!)

Mark
You've all seen them before, but here goes:

The paint shines up with a little WD40 wiped on, so I don't know that I would complain. I thought I could just dab on the clear coat over the decals themselves - no way would I strip it down and take it to a frame painter. If i did that, I'd have them paint it, too.
Old 01-25-10, 10:33 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use clear from a spray can, sprayed into the lid or another small container. I use a fine small brush and clear just the decals - I think you could tell they've been cleared if you use a magnifying glass...but otherwise they look original and last much better. Another trick, for waterslides, is to clear the decal on the sheet before you soak and slide it onto the bike. I did that with home-printed decals on my wife's klein, and they haven't faded at all after three years.