Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3M Scotchgard urethane automotive paint protective film over decals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 06:01 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts

Okay I've applied some decals on top of my powdercoat and they look great, but I will not be putting a rattle can clear coat on top. I was considering putting the above product on top of at least the most exposed--has anyone tried this? It is available on ebay, Amazon and various places, and it would seem I could trim to size. Links to some reviews are below. I might order some in and experiment on a "lesser" bike in one discreet location, but thought I'd ask here first ask. And if you know of a better alternative to the above that would be appreciated. Thank you! PS: I know velocals has some pre-laminated decals that folks here have had good success with, but they didn't have the particular decal I was looking for.

Robot Check and Robot Check (includes a review regarding a mountain bike but doesn't mention decals)
Old 03-20-14, 06:05 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
I'm thinking the protective film will peel the decals off unless they're clear coated with multiple layers of clear.
Old 03-20-14, 06:47 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
My thinking would be to size the Scotchgard film larger than the decal in all dimensions so that all edges of the top film are directly on the powdercoat.
Old 03-20-14, 06:54 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Might work. But I notice they don't give a mil thickness. If it's fairly thick stuff, it might look funky and be susceptible to catching an edge and peeling. If it is quite thin and you could burnish it down it would look better and be less likely to be visible.
Old 03-20-14, 07:32 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 946 Posts
Along these lines- what have people used to protect paint from housing rub?

I was thinking of using a screen protector, cutting a couple patches to stick on the head tube.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-20-14, 07:58 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Along these lines- what have people used to protect paint from housing rub?

I was thinking of using a screen protector, cutting a couple patches to stick on the head tube.
For cable rub I use a clear peel-&-stick frame protector. Don't remember brand, but it is designed for the application, similar to clear chainstay protector. You can sometimes find at your LBS for free. I went in once and asked what they recommend, not minding paying for it, and the nice man reached under a counter and picked up a sheet filled with clear vinyl decals. He gave it to me for free. Some had a Trek logo on them as they were designed for use with Madone carbon frames, but I easily worked around that.
Old 03-20-14, 08:14 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,840 Times in 2,002 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
For cable rub I use a clear peel-&-stick frame protector. Don't remember brand, but it is designed for the application, similar to clear chainstay protector. You can sometimes find at your LBS for free. I went in once and asked what they recommend, not minding paying for it, and the nice man reached under a counter and picked up a sheet filled with clear vinyl decals. He gave it to me for free. Some had a Trek logo on them as they were designed for use with Madone carbon frames, but I easily worked around that.

"Starshield" which usually refers to a 3M brand clear film often applied to the front ends of low nose swoopy sports cars could work. As mentioned earlier, it must be bigger than the graphics you have already applied. Personally, I don't think it will look that terrific. It could be used as a chain stay chain slap protector, there were types of this marketed before, but getting it off later is a Challenge!

This is the same basic stuff that some automakers apply to areas adjacent to the wheel wells on cars and small dots are sometimes seen to stall control cable abrasion. I often see those peeling off in time though, maybe they surface was not prepped well.
Old 03-20-14, 08:38 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Fuggedaboutit. I am pretty certain that urethane film will yellow with age. Given that with a little care a bike's finish will survive better than a vehicle's, you'll have an old bike one day with yellowing decals.

You many not need 10, but these are great value for cable rub/chainstay
Dimension Chainstay Protector & Frame Dots Bag10 Clear
Old 03-20-14, 09:50 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Make sure to wipe the area receiving the protector with alcohol to remove any dirt and oil residue.
Old 03-20-14, 10:56 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I have rolls of that stuff, very tough and fairly thick. I would never use it on decals.
Old 03-20-14, 03:05 PM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
You might consider sign making sheet vinyl. Some of it is very durable, 2 to 3 mil thick, and they make it in transparent.
Sign Supplies and Equipment: Vinyl Film for Signmaking - Low Price Guarantee
Old 03-20-14, 04:52 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
I have rolls of that stuff, very tough and fairly thick. I would never use it on decals.
I have some, too. Me neither. Too thick.