Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anybody run Vittoria Terreno Zero ?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 11:41 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts

I have on the 700x40 Drys on my bike and I like them. But many of the local gravel roads got paved so I’m riding more tarmac now. I was thinking of running a 35 zero for less resistance but enough to handle hard pack gravel. Suggestions?
Old 04-02-20, 09:22 AM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
I had the Terreno Zeros in 37c Tubeless on a prior Giant TCX gravel bike. They were great on the road, and okay for hardpack and smooth dirt. Anything beyond that, they ran out of grip. I now run Schwlabe G-One's in 38c tubeless and they're just about the perfect tire for my needs. Great rolling on the road, and still plenty of grip in all types of gravel/dirt.

Old 04-02-20, 09:36 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Thanks for the reply . I think I will purchase another set of the Terreno Drys since some of the gravel gets rough in places. I cross many cattle guards and other obstacles.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-02-20, 12:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Tried the "700x35" Terreno Zeroes, which in fact mount to a full 40mm wide. Wildly unimpressed. They roll slowly, and aren't very durable.
Old 04-02-20, 12:53 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I used the 700x38 Zeros a few thousand miles. Not very supple, heavy for a slick, good traction for pavement, okay for hardpack. Bead locks well to the rim. Durability is good enough to be a commuter tire here. The Zeros have a classic rounded profile, as opposed to the Drys that had a shovel profile.

Trying 700x50mm Schwalbe G1 Speed this weekend...
Old 04-02-20, 02:21 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I’m going to look at the Schwalbe gravel tires as well. Many tires and brands to choose from.
Old 04-02-20, 02:43 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I'd opt for Terra Speeds personally.
Old 04-02-20, 08:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Thanks for the replies from people that actually ride real world gravel not someone promoting a certain brand. Unbiased opinions in a market with many tire options.
Old 04-02-20, 10:21 PM
chris406

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These replies make me feel better and not so crazy about my experience with them. I bought a set to put on my gravel bike in August when I was heading to Colorado to do some road riding. I went with the 700x38's. 95% of the time I'm on Maxxis Ramblers and ride them all conditions including road. The Zeros were super smooth riding but they were definitely slower and heavier. I tried them on gravel as well and had the same outcome. Just not for me overall they just seemed very heavy compared to the Ramblers.
Old 04-03-20, 04:31 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Thanks for the replies from people that actually ride real world gravel not someone promoting a certain brand. Unbiased opinions in a market with many tire options.
You're welcome.

Originally Posted by chris406
These replies make me feel better and not so crazy about my experience with them. I bought a set to put on my gravel bike in August when I was heading to Colorado to do some road riding. I went with the 700x38's. 95% of the time I'm on Maxxis Ramblers and ride them all conditions including road. The Zeros were super smooth riding but they were definitely slower and heavier. I tried them on gravel as well and had the same outcome. Just not for me overall they just seemed very heavy compared to the Ramblers.
That's because they are. For some reason everyone around here espouses them as God's gift to gravel tires..until I tell them that they are somehow heavier than most every gravel tire on the market and they roll like frozen garden hoses. But, the lbs is a Vittoria dealer so there you go....
Old 04-03-20, 09:38 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I ride teh Zeeros, drys and Schwalbe Gone. G-one is fastest and okay on gravel. If you ride more gravel than asphalt then Terreno dry or zero is a better all-round performer as long as you are not in soupy or peanutbutter mud. Terrenos are pretty fast but not as fast a G one on asphalt.
Old 04-03-20, 10:43 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Any opinions on the Maxxis Refuse? 32 and 40.
Old 04-04-20, 08:12 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I’d like to try some G-ones but there seems to be numerous models. I need to narrow it down some. Advice?

Old 04-04-20, 04:44 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm running a Terreno Dry on the front and a Hutchinson Override on the rear, This is a very fast combination. The Dry has the stopping and turning grip needed on gravel for faster descents. The Override has a fast rolling file tread that practically as fast as a slick but never slides. It's an ideal 50/50 combination.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-05-20, 09:54 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm running a Terreno Dry on the front and a Hutchinson Override on the rear, This is a very fast combination. The Dry has the stopping and turning grip needed on gravel for faster descents. The Override has a fast rolling file tread that practically as fast as a slick but never slides. It's an ideal 50/50 combination.
I'd argue that the Terra Speed is better at corning due to it's more rounded profile. I've ridden both the Dry and Terra Speed quite a lot. I have always wanted to try the Overide though.
Old 04-05-20, 10:01 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'd argue that the Terra Speed is better at corning due to it's more rounded profile. I've ridden both the Dry and Terra Speed quite a lot. I have always wanted to try the Overide though.
How is the wear on those Contis? As they have knobbies. I suspect they tend not to wear well on pavement?
Old 04-05-20, 10:03 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
How is the wear on those Contis? As they have knobbies. I suspect they tend not to wear well on pavement?
I'd say that's a fair assessment. There has to be a tradeoff for having a fast, grippy tire.