Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental tires. Sell me on GP 4000's over Gatorskins.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Continental tires. Sell me on GP 4000's over Gatorskins.

Old 07-11-11, 09:50 PM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX. With latex tubes, these are about as close as you can get to tubular. More expensive, but wear quicker and are pretty easy to puncture.

I'm sure there are others. The 4000's are a resonable balance of price, performance, wear and puncture resistance.
Yes I had Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX, they offer great handing and ride but wear out in a 1,000 miles.
Old 07-11-11, 10:20 PM
Hangtownmatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just completed my 1st week on a set of wire bead GatorSkins. Can't complain, but can't recommend just yet either. Time will tell. I will recommend, however, you get the following if you have difficulty mounting this tire:

Crank Brothers Telescoping Speed Tire Lever

It will be the best $4 - $8 you ever spent!

Matt
Old 07-11-11, 11:13 PM
Rydox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1
These tires interest me. I'm still running the stock Schwalbe Lugano tires that came with my bike, but when it's time to replace them, I'm considering these GP 4000s. Will I notice an immediate difference (oh wow!), or is it more of a durability thing that I'll notice over time?
Both. I just went from a set of Schwalbe Lugano tires that came stock on my bike to GP4ks. Grip, rolling resistance, comfort, durability. All improved. Although at the same time I did go from the standard Alex rims on my '11 CAAD8 to Mavic Ksyrium ES and I've only been riding for a few months so it's difficult for me to accurately discern the gains specific to the tires.

However, if the tires proved anything this last weekend it's definitely durability. Was riding with two other friends, not sure what tires they had (women's '10 Synapse and an '11 Allez both stock) but I was in the middle behind the Synapse with my friend on his Specialized at my back. We were essentially drafting each other the entire ride. Single file. Once I got home my friend called to say both her front tire and his rear were completely flat once they got home. None of us could recall what road hazard we had all come across, but my tires powered through and my only guess was that this was a true testament to their durability. I'm glad I made the switch when I did and will likely be a return customer.
Old 07-11-11, 11:27 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxtex
dang dude. your new nickname is mr. tires. sounds like you know your stuff. do you know anything with sidewall blowout issues on the gp's? ive read some reviews where riders claim they had unprovoked sidewall splits due to defective tires.
I used to work with Continental.

I haven't heard about sudden sidewall failures but I've been away from the company for 3 years now. Sorry I can't help here.

Old 07-12-11, 05:36 AM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had two sudden losses of pressure on GP4000s. One was a sidewall blowout - I assume there must have been debris but I never found anything that would have caused the cut. The other was the bead simply lifting off the rim (DA 7900 CLs) for no apparent reason. Both on the rear while riding in a straight line fortunately. I don't like how easy they are to slip on the wheel - easy on has to be easy off, right?

Shame, because they are a great tyre, ride almost as good as Michelin PR3s and have a lot less punctures. But I am starting to lose a bit of confidence in them.
Old 07-12-11, 05:49 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
The Gatorskins (unless recently redesigned) . . . are hard to change.
Holy crap, you aren't kidding. I just changed out my gatorskins for Conti Grand Prix's when I got my new wheels. I almost bent a tire lever trying to get them on the new wheels before I decided to buy new. The Grand Prix's went on by hand. I guess the good news is I never flatted on the gators over a couple thousand miles.
Old 07-12-11, 07:33 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to the GP4000S and they feel a lot better on turns than my old tires, which were whatever comes on a CAAD 10-4.

Apart from the turns I didn't notice any difference, but I'm hoping to reduce my flat count, which is at 3 in 500 miles for the old tires.
Old 07-12-11, 07:48 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by scirocco
I don't like how easy they are to slip on the wheel - easy on has to be easy off, right?
My most recent GP4000 (Black with reflex side) was the exact opposite....a complete PITA to get onto my rim (Ritchey). I'm not looking forward to having to fix a flat out on a 100 degree day. But I love the tires.

Wiggle has them for $42 right now.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-12-11, 09:07 AM
sqharaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do people make of the durability between the GP4000 and the 4000S? Same?
Old 07-12-11, 09:10 AM
renton
Come on you Spurs!

Bikes: Trek 2.1, BMC Roadracer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
I almost bent a tire lever trying to get them on the new wheels
You're not supposed to use levers to get them on the wheel. Only to take them off.
Old 07-12-11, 09:11 AM
renton
Come on you Spurs!

Bikes: Trek 2.1, BMC Roadracer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sqharaway
What do people make of the durability between the GP4000 and the 4000S? Same?
I learned in this thread that the black GP4000 is the same as the GP4000S. Don't know about the coloured GP4000 though.
Old 07-12-11, 09:47 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by renton
I learned in this thread that the black GP4000 is the same as the GP4000S. Don't know about the coloured GP4000 though.
I have heard and read that the color versions are silica and not black chili. Assuming this I would guess that grip and rolling resistance would be affected. I have also been told by LBS that the color versions wear faster.
Old 07-12-11, 09:50 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_cereal
I have heard and read that the color versions are silica and not black chili. Assuming this I would guess that grip and rolling resistance would be affected. I have also been told by LBS that the color versions wear faster.
Correct.

Old 07-12-11, 10:45 AM
El Conquistador De Amore

Location: Atlanta, GA. The city too busy to do anything well.

Bikes: Litespeed Palmares.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayp410
At LEAST 25's... At 280 + 20 lb for the bike, 60% on the rear wheel, you're looking at 180 lb on the rear wheel. According to this chart, even 28's are on the small side for that application at 120 PSI: https://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Your rims were probably rubbing against your sidewalls often with 23's. With 120 lb on the front wheel, 23's or 25's are not so bad up there....25's at 110 PSI would probably be good for the front, according to that chart anyway.
Cool, thanks for the information. I didn't even occur to me to consider a wider tire until they were already purchased. Then I started reading about the benefits here about a week or so after I bought them. It always seems to happen that way. I may just have to start running a 28 in the back.
Thanks again.
Old 07-12-11, 03:40 PM
clx1

Bikes: COLNAGO CLX AND ENIGMA ECHO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completely different tyres that can't be compared, clear description of the two on Continentals website.
Old 07-12-11, 03:45 PM
vespoli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clx1
Completely different tyres that can't be compared, clear description of the two on Continentals website.
lol
Old 07-12-11, 04:31 PM
lennon_68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
My most recent GP4000 (Black with reflex side) was the exact opposite....a complete PITA to get onto my rim (Ritchey). I'm not looking forward to having to fix a flat out on a 100 degree day. But I love the tires.

Wiggle has them for $42 right now.

Alternatively probikekit has the 4000S branded ones for $47 with a Continental Race Lite tube (currently $9.41 ea) and free shipping. Add coupon code VELONEWS10 to take 10% off of that = $84.67 shipped for a pair of the flashy ones plus a pair of tubes

https://www.probikekit.com/us/tyres-t...nner-tube.html
Old 07-12-11, 04:55 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my third summer riding 4000/4000S. They're nice tires. I've ridden Vittorias, Panaracers, Specialized (I don't know actual mfr for these) and others. I'm not a fanatic for any specific brand. I like Schwalbe Dureme 32's for winter riding (lots of nasty silica spicules in winter-road sanding, Duremes repel them).

With 4000, I've had one pinch flat riding 23s on really radical rumble strip, a puncture flat trying to ride with no wear-dimple left ca. 2700 mi, I changed to 25s, had a sidewall blow-out ( front) at 1400 mi, rear 25mm is doing fine at ca. 3000 mi. For the front, Iwent back to 23. I carry a spare 23, 4000S foldable, in my saddlebag. Plus two tubes.

In the semi-old days, I used to just carry a patch kit, instead of spare tubes. It worked fine.