Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

road id vs. finishsafe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

road id vs. finishsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 08:18 AM
Breal

Bikes: Tarmac S- Works; Cervelo S5; Lynskey Helix; Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the new "thin" road ID. You can choose if you want interactive or just label out all medical issues and contacts. It also wears extremely well. Picture a livestrong bracelet witha a small metal tag.
Old 08-16-11, 08:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by hao
i just toss it in the saddle bag. i guess if you are worried about that, you could put it in your jersey pocket, or punch a hole and wear it.
I've had my jersey pockets empty out and the bike fly about 20 feet away from me on a crash once. Punching a hole would probably work, but that takes work and even athletes in the US are lazy.
Old 08-16-11, 08:33 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYgreyrider
I wear the road id. I don't have the interactive one so mine is essentially the same as a dog tag. I basically paid $20 for something the military gave me for free. But I ride alone a lot and there is room for more info than the old dog tag so it gives the wife piece of mind.
This

All that's really needed is allergies (if any), name, and emergency contact. No way I'm doing the interactive thing with monthly payments. I don't think it's necessary.

And at less than $20, it gives my wife peace of mind (otherwise, I'd get a piece of her mind )
Old 08-16-11, 09:24 AM
Bioandbikes
Biker chick

Bikes: 2010 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the Road ID sport wristband, and wouldn't be without it anymore. I am a single mom who rides by herself a lot, and I have no family in the area: there are no easily identifiable emergency contacts from my driver's license. I don't have the interactive ID, but list a couple of friends for emergency contact, along with my name/birthdate and allergies. Guess I figure that if I am injured badly enough that I am unable to identify myself, I want to make it as obvious to the EMTs as possible, without anyone having to search for the info.
Old 08-16-11, 09:24 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, sounds like RoadID is the trusted brand. Im not about cheaper by any means. just wondered about quality as well. Guess its time to get one ordered.
Old 08-16-11, 09:31 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
dog tags from petco
Old 08-16-11, 09:36 AM
NRZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ordered 4 of them so far. One for me and the girlfriend, a best friend and the girlfriends sister (runs HS xcountry and often trains alone). Someone already said it but I usually ride with a group, and while most of the people know me and my number, then don't know my family/significant others information.

The new mini one is great and even fits on a Livestrong band!
Old 08-16-11, 09:37 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I think the RoadID looks better, but it's a lot more expensive. Both do the same thing. I have a RoadID, but if I had known about the finishsafe I would have probably gone with the cheaper one.
Old 08-16-11, 09:59 AM
hurley1718

Bikes: Scott S60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wearing RoadID for years. I recently upgraded to the interactive because of all the information you can add. Peace of mind for my wife but also myself. I also lost my driver's license one time on a ride when I couldn't find my RoadID so now I just strap it to my stem when I finish a ride.
Old 08-16-11, 10:01 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now if only there were a way to strap your wife to your ankle...

May I assume we all do this not only for them, but for ourselves as well?
Old 08-16-11, 10:03 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 laminated pieces of paper. 1 in baggie and 1 taped inside helmet.
Old 08-16-11, 10:30 AM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
so you don't HAVE to have the interactive I.D.? i have no allergies or medications...im just wondering about that annual or monthly fee etc.
If you don't have anything wrong with you, I would just go after the non-interactive version. There is no annual fee with it because there's no data service connecting the information of the non-interactive ID.
Old 08-16-11, 06:41 PM
madfx

Bikes: Lynskey specialized cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I now wear a slim road ID 24/7, I have the regular road IDs but would forget to put them on for a ride more than I would remember, the slim is the size of a livestrong so I just leave it on.
Old 08-16-11, 07:32 PM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear my Road ID every time I get on my bike. Like others have said, it gives my wife piece of mind. I got it because I won a Road ID gift certificate in a contest, but was going to get one regardless. I got the non-interactive one because I didn't want to spend $10 a year and don't have any medical conditions. Its got my name, birth year, blood type, no known allergies, and contact #s for my wife and mom. I got the yellow Velcro one so that it's easy to spot in an emergency.
Old 08-16-11, 07:51 PM
Absenth

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a Road ID which I wear daily. I also have a set of the Finish Safe IDs coming.

I expect to make use of their
  • keychain - In case I'm driving and forgot to put the Road ID on like a moron.
  • wallet - sure I have a drivers license, but the emergency contact info can't be beat. (see forgot Road ID like a moron above.)
  • shoe - hard to forget your ID when you go for a run if it's attached to your running shoes. (see forgot Road ID like a moron above.)
  • Bike Strap - This way if I ever get separated from my bike in an accident etc. There's something attached to it identifying it as mine. (see forgot Road ID like a moron above.)

One of our customers refers to me as "Mr. Risk Averse" I think ^ might actually qualify as paranoid
Old 08-16-11, 07:56 PM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok I perused the responses but on the FS comparison page is says, "The national standard for instant emergency notification". Weird?! I've never even been told about this national standard even though I work in the emergency medical field as a paramedic. Stick with road id, or dog tags if you prefer. They've been around for a while, are good people, and produce a good product. Can't go wrong. If you've got nothing medically wrong with you go with the non interactive. I have one allergy, to hydrocodone, but if I'm unconscious they won't be giving me that anyways. People also say put it on your body. This yes and no. It will all come down to how good an EMT was trained. Me personally I always look at the vehicle whether it was a car, motorcycle, bike, bus, boat, and so on and so on. I routinely do continuing ed with my shift and others on what to look for with R-ID's, ICE Bracelets, Dog Tags whatever so that pertinent info isn't missed.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-11, 08:03 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I have been contemplating on getting a RoadID for quite sometime. I usually ride alone too. I decided to get one today. On checkout, you have an option to specify to donate a part of the proceeds to a charity of your choice which is a good thing and I chose AUTISM SPEAKS. The $29.99 I paid for is money well spent imo.
Old 08-16-11, 08:09 PM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't particularly care about any of the interactive crap or having all my medical information on it. I wear one so they know who I am and who exactly to contact after they scrape me off the road. That person has all the information the interactive crap could have, plus power to do something about it.
Old 08-16-11, 08:25 PM
El Conquistador De Amore

Location: Atlanta, GA. The city too busy to do anything well.

Bikes: Litespeed Palmares.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The good thing about the interactive is if you want to include an entire list of contacts you can. I have three people currently and may add a few more. And if one of your contact's numbers changes you don't have to get a new tag made.
Old 08-16-11, 11:14 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a paramedic, I also work in a hospital ER, here's some thoughts about what I've read on this thread:

-Blood type is irrelevant. We will use FFP if for whatever reason we can't draw a blood bank hold, or universal donor. But we would never trust what some random schmuck had written on his jewelry.

-Things in jersey pockets are likely to fall out, and may be inaccessible if you get placed on a backboard. (Yes, the paramedic should check the back when doing a log roll, but there are lazy people in every profession, or there might be a reason that this part of the assessment is skipped.)

-Paramedics are not going to change what they do in the back of the ambulance drastically because you have an allergy to an obscure high blood pressure med, or whatever. We have about 50 medications we can give, so if you're allergic to one of those, or on a beta blocker, it's useful to know, but otherwise, eh, we don't really care in a trauma situation.

-Now, in the hospital, if you've been there before, they will have a list of your allergies and medications. They will of course ask you again, in case you've developed another one or stopped one medication or altered doses, etc.

Which brings me to my main point - for the most good for the least amount of money, I'd find out where the local trauma centers are, and give them a buzz, and ask if you can get pre-registered, and make sure all of your info about NOK, code status, emergency contacts, religious preferences, etc is in their system. Explain that you often ride your bicycle alone, and want to be prepared in case the worst happens. I'd bet they'd have a way to do it for free. Then all you need to do is have some sort of id that has your name and birthdate.
Old 08-16-11, 11:51 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Former EMT, and echoing the previous EMS answers...

- All depends on the quality/training of the responders and the "luck" of what state they find you in.
- Things in pockets tend to disappear in a good cycling accident.
- Things in/on bike are as good as useless.
- Things in helmets often overlooked (especially when inexperienced good sams help remove them to "help" check you out)
- Dog tags are OK BUT, consider what you attach them to your neck with. In an unlucky accident the rope/chain can literally cut your throat and kill you. I'm not big on neck chains at all but that's just from what I've seen they can do.
- Wrist info is great. It is an easy find for EMS taking a radial pulse. On the off chance it catches on something I much happier with losing my hand than my life.
Old 08-17-11, 05:41 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a road id but generally don't wear it; I keep it in the seat bag. I figure if somebody finds me and wonders who I am, they'll root around in there. So far, its worked.
Old 08-17-11, 05:58 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My wife and I both have the road id's for the wrist.not so much for medical info, but contact info if we are ever in a crash where we both wind up in the hospital. All our relatives live out of state.
Old 08-17-11, 06:19 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I figure after somebody's found my dead body, they'll use my cellphone to call for assistance.
Old 08-17-11, 06:27 AM
Dantebfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
I figure after somebody's found my dead body, they'll use my cellphone to call for assistance.
Or order a pizza.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.