Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Polo&Bike fixies - any good?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 02:40 AM
Ictoanta

Bikes: Fuji Feather 2015; Electra Rally Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

I'm going to buy my first fixed gear soon, and have been looking up reviews and tips etc. everywhere. I live in The Netherlands, and while we are very much a bike-country, fixies aren't that wide-spread yet so the choice of brands is somewhat limited (and I'd rather not go into overseas shipping).

After some orientation, and dismissing a number of brands (looking at you, Create) I've found a bike I really like: The Polo&Bike Virens (https://www.poloandbike.com/virens.html).

But, I can't find a review of it anywhere. It seems like a decent bike and the price is exactly what I'm looking to spend (500 euros/660 dollars). I'm not looking for the lightest or fastest bike, just something decent and solid that rides well.

Possible alternatives would be the SE Lager (but that gets rather mixed reviews and has a hi-ten steel frame), Fuji Declaration (seems very decent but I'm not to fond of the look and delivery is delayed till August), Maze (https://www.mazecycles.com/portfolioc...thracite-grey/ , Dutch brand, slightly more expensive and a bit boring in style), United Cruiser (https://www.unitedcruiser.com/modeles...ies_black&id=8 , also hi-ten).

so, if anyone knows these Polo&Bike bikes, are they any good? And if no-one has heard of them, can anyone spot any issues (apart from no-one having heard of them) based on the online info?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 07-22-13, 08:23 AM
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike looks cheap, does not list any components, only comes in two sizes, and has very strange geometry. These are all reasons to stay away.
Old 07-22-13, 08:43 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
...and they sponsor these guys:

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-22-13, 08:57 AM
Ictoanta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayce
The bike looks cheap, does not list any components, only comes in two sizes, and has very strange geometry. These are all reasons to stay away.
Thanks for the reply! The components are all "own brand", or so their site suggests, which might of course mean there simply cheap generic stuff with their name stamped on them...

The sizes wouldn't be an issue for me I think. I'm about 6 foot 3, so I'd need a large bike anyway and the 59cm should be okay right? Or is the fact that they only make 2 sizes the issue?

I don't know much about the difference in geometry in these bikes, could you explain (in simple terms) what is strange about this one?

One of the reasons I was drawn towards this bike is the Chromoly frame and fork. The SE Lager is exactly the same price at the same shop, but that has a hi-ten frame and fork (which I've gathered here is bad). Would that be a safer choice though?

The Fuji Declaration also seems like a nice bike and does have a full chromo frame and fork. I guess I could also spend just a bit more and go for the Fuji feather (which looks a bit nicer and seems to have better parts to my newbie-eyes).

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old 07-22-13, 08:58 AM
Ictoanta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie

*snip*
I have no idea who they are... which might either be the point, or just another sign that I'm a complete noob to this...
Old 07-22-13, 09:16 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Ictoanta
The sizes wouldn't be an issue for me I think. I'm about 6 foot 3, so I'd need a large bike anyway and the 59cm should be okay right? Or is the fact that they only make 2 sizes the issue?

I don't know much about the difference in geometry in these bikes, could you explain (in simple terms) what is strange about this one?
The top tube length is only 530mm, which would be fine if you were a dinosaur.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-22-13, 09:16 AM
SwiftySS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of your choices I would go with one of the Fuji's.
Old 07-22-13, 09:39 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts

The dude on the left used to post videos of himself here ripping around Barcelona (or wherever he lives) pedaling his ass off and busting sick skids on his janky bike that doesn't fit him. Total jackass.
Old 07-22-13, 09:51 AM
Ictoanta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The top tube length is only 530mm, which would be fine if you were a dinosaur.
Ah,well I can be slow and my ideas can be ancient... but my arms are on the long side if anything, so I'm guessing I'm not a dinosaur when it comes o fitting a bike
Old 07-22-13, 09:53 AM
Ictoanta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SwiftySS
Out of your choices I would go with one of the Fuji's.
Yeah, looking a them all again I must admit I'm starting to lean towards the Feather... It's a bit more expensive (650 euros here vs 550 for the Declaration) but it does seem better equiped. And the fully black on looks nice as well (which I do admit is important to me)
Old 07-22-13, 03:40 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's seriously not a single fixed/track bike dealer in your country?

Get a half-decent frame (leader, pake french, etc) and build it up at an LBS.

Also, the polo&bike bikes are hugely popular here in Mexico and they're complete **** for the price. If they were $99 or even $199 then I guess it's not bad.

It's basically a walmart bike, and they try to be all hardcore fixed gear which is stupid.
Old 07-22-13, 03:55 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
A lot of people like to ride Eightinch Butchers and Scramblers for Polo. You shoould check them out, they're both in your price range.
Old 07-22-13, 04:05 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Why wouldn't you trust a bike brand that sponsors a guy with the name "Pancho"?
Old 07-22-13, 04:35 PM
Ictoanta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kabex
There's seriously not a single fixed/track bike dealer in your country?

Get a half-decent frame (leader, pake french, etc) and build it up at an LBS.

Also, the polo&bike bikes are hugely popular here in Mexico and they're complete **** for the price. If they were $99 or even $199 then I guess it's not bad.

It's basically a walmart bike, and they try to be all hardcore fixed gear which is stupid.
Good to hear from someone who knows the brand, I guess they're not that different from say Create bikes, ie try to look the part but that's about it?

There are some dealers here, but most have limited choices when it comes to brands. The only dealer with more than 2 or 3 brands is a 2 hour drive... and they don't exactly have the greatest choice either. They sell Leader frames, but have limited selection of components. I've done a quick calculation and a 722 fully fitted would be around 800 euros, and that's using mainly parts in the price range of Polo&Bike parts (which they sell as well). Considering all that and seeing how the Fuji Feather gets nice reviews, I'm thinking that might be A more sensible option...

Originally Posted by Philasteve
A lot of people like to ride Eightinch Butchers and Scramblers for Polo. You shoould check them out, they're both in your price range.
I'm not actually going to play Polo It's just the name of the brand (though it might suggest they're aimed towards the game... maybe that's why they are so short, for turning tight?) I've seen those brands mentioned, but haven't found any dealers for them here...
Old 07-25-13, 01:41 AM
Ictoanta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, so I've gotten quite a few answers to my questions in this thread, which in turn have led to new questions but, since the one thing I do know is that I won't be getting a Polo&Bike bike, I'll start a new thread with a better fitting name.

Thanks everyone for helping out