Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why can't I get the shift cable adjusters back in place on shifters?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-20-20, 09:33 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts

I'm not sure what my major malfunction is here. Took apart the shifters (Shimano Alivio) on my 1995 GT mountain bike because they were frozen up. Got 'em clean and shifting nicely and back on the bike. When I was putting the cables back on I discovered I have no idea how to get the barrel adjuster setups back on the shifters. What am I missing here? There's a threaded metal piece, a spring that goes over it and then the plastic barrel but no fitting on the shifter for the threaded piece to screw into like I thought it would. What holds everything together? How do I get this to work? Yes, I should have paid better attention taking them apart but I didn't realize it would be an issue. Thanks
Old 03-20-20, 10:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
If a barrel adjuster was part of the shifter before it's going to fit now, assuming something like a ball peen hammer wasn't taken to it.

Are you unable to see the cable port? Have you installed the inner cable yet and confirmed that it's run properly? A photo would help a lot to remember which generation shifters you have. Some only had a barrel adjuster on the front lever. Andy
Old 03-20-20, 10:14 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Do you have another bike to look at?
Old 03-21-20, 04:04 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Do the adjusters fit into a threaded fitting on the frame or, potentially on the derailleur itself?
Old 03-21-20, 06:52 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If a barrel adjuster was part of the shifter before it's going to fit now, assuming something like a ball peen hammer wasn't taken to it.

Are you unable to see the cable port? Have you installed the inner cable yet and confirmed that it's run properly? A photo would help a lot to remember which generation shifters you have. Some only had a barrel adjuster on the front lever. Andy
Here's photos. Thanks.

Old 03-21-20, 06:53 AM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Do you have another bike to look at?
Yeah, I tried that and none had the same set-up.
Old 03-21-20, 06:54 AM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by 100bikes
Do the adjusters fit into a threaded fitting on the frame or, potentially on the derailleur itself?
I assumed the threaded piece went into a threaded fitting in the shifter but there doesn't seem to be one.
Old 03-21-20, 07:20 AM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
In the last picture, it looks like the entire bowden setup is the wrong way around. The cable is coming out of the wrong hole.. The cable should be coming out of the hole that is on the other side of the shifter assembly (same side where the brake cable also exits). That hole will be threaded, so you will be able to screw in the barrel adjuster on that side.
Old 03-21-20, 07:24 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by lubloi
In the last picture, it looks like the entire bowden setup is the wrong way around. The cable is coming out of the wrong hole.. The cable should be coming out of the hole that is on the other side of the shifter assembly (same side where the brake cable also exits). That hole will be threaded, so you will be able to screw in the barrel adjuster on that side.
This. Your barrel adjuster is on the wrong end and most likely your cable is threaded in the wrong direction. I'd take photos before disassembly next time around just so you have some reference. I do this when I come across something out of the ordinary.
Old 03-21-20, 07:29 AM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by lubloi
Yep, You got it. My bad. Wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Thanks!
Old 03-21-20, 07:31 AM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by 2cam16
This. Your barrel adjuster is on the wrong end and most likely your cable is threaded in the wrong direction. I'd take photos before disassembly next time around just so you have some reference. I do this when I come across something out of the ordinary.
Yeah, the first photo I posted was one I took for reference for re-assembly. Guess I should have taken more. In my defense this is my first foray into thumb shifter maintenance...I've only re-cabled road bikes and twist shifters on cruisers before...
Likes For Miradaman:
Old 03-21-20, 09:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I suggested that the cable might have been miss routed in my first reply but without an image I wasn't sure. Glad the problem is so easily dealt with. Andy
Old 03-21-20, 09:54 AM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I suggested that the cable might have been miss routed in my first reply but without an image I wasn't sure. Glad the problem is so easily dealt with. Andy
Yes, a seriously dumb mistake on my part. But it was late when I was putting everything back together. And it was literally the first time I had taken a good look at the bike since I bought it a few weeks ago. I was even thinking as I tried to reassemble everything that it seemed like a rather odd and inconvenient place for a cable to go, right between the shift triggers like that...duh!