Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New build and short review - Cervelo R5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New build and short review - Cervelo R5

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 10:50 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Hambini has be taken with a grain of salt. When it comes to his knowledge - he obviously knows a lot about BBs. But I dont trust his overall conclusions about brands for a few reasons.

For starters, he has proven himself to be very petty and not above faking stuff when challenged. That whole faked "Flo legal letter" fiasco just makes him look like a 15 year old asshat. Also, for his alleged aero wheel test, he doesnt have a single photo of all the wheels in a chamber? I simply dont believe that he did those tests but that he faked the numbers entirely. A lot of his bile against ST, Don Rinard, etc is because his methodologies were challenged.

The second part is that he has realized that shock value sells. His videos from a few years ago very professional and information-driven. And had hardly any vieweship. Ever since he has started the whole trash talking, his viewership has soared. At this point, it is a shtick. By cussing like a sailor and making unsubstantiated attacks disguised under the veneer of engineering, he comes across as a Guy Who Tells It Like It Is. He isnt. He merely appeals to those who like the overly simplistic idea that bike companies are all sitting there getting rich by fooling customers with marketing (the truth is a lot more nuanced than that - while marketing is a big part of what companies do, i also do not doubt that they are indeed making an effort to make the best product possible).

Fundamentally, here are some specific issues with his conclusions:
- he is basing all his spewing about manufacturing tolerances based on viewing a few problem frames only - for an engineer, he sure seems to lack an understanding of the phrase "statistically valid sample size".
- the only data he provides to back up his claim about frames is some alleged NDT that he claims is done - and there is no proof of that. Given his history, i would doubt anything he says without proof.
- He is using his expertise in machine-made metal tolerances to pass judgement on what is appropriate tolerance in carbon, and using that as an excuse to bash various companies - also an invalid approach. Yes, carbon has less precise tolerances than metal. No, that isnt a surprise to anyone (or shouldnt be), and shouldnt be used as an indictment of QC of the various brands. Being an engineer in one area doesnt make him an expert on all aspects of engineering.

That is not to say that all his points are invalid. Some BBs are indeed more prone to creaking - but that's not necessarily a sign of shoddy manufacturing. But in the grand scheme of things, there are LOTS of people who are happy riding Trek, Cannondale, Cervelo, etc. I used to find his videos entertaining even when i didnt take his conclusions seriously - now he's just getting boring/tedious with the forced cursing and showing that C*ntish Sh*tbag scale (that was funny the first time and maybe the second time - after 15-odd repeats, not so much).

Well said!
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 03-30-20, 10:52 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Front shifting.

SRAM's electric group looks really clean, I personally don't like the multiple batteries thing, but it's not really a big deal in practice.

I had a SRAM bike, the ****ting was lousy (not just slow, people could hear you shift a block away) and the FD had a mind of its own, to put it mildly. I'm starting to get a little older, and that gives me a license to complain more.
Haha I hear you about the loudness of shifting. My Force 1x system has been great, though. Makes sense that I like it so much since there's no front shifter mech.
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 03-30-20, 03:40 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by GnipGnop
Well said!
Yeah, his first few vids were good to watch. Then like you said his antics got old. Now I just watch the parts when he's working on the bike then the end,skipping all his "tech" portions.
Old 03-30-20, 04:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I love that color.
Cervelo seems to love aweful paint jobs. This is a beautiful exception.
Old 03-30-20, 04:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

I had an R3 SL for many years, until a driver ran a light and sent it to bike heaven. I remember not having any desire for a new bike while I had it, just loved it too much. R5 is basically my dream bike. I have a C3 now, and it fits my riding personality better. But god damn the R5 is sexy. The disc version has clearance for 28 mm, and if I had a do over, that's what I'd go with. No complaints about the C3 though.
Old 03-30-20, 04:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Cervelo seems to love aweful paint jobs.
They sure do. Mine is pretty ugly and even it looks better than the corresponding rim version with the white top tube.

Old 03-30-20, 08:09 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
I had an R3 SL for many years, until a driver ran a light and sent it to bike heaven. I remember not having any desire for a new bike while I had it, just loved it too much. R5 is basically my dream bike. I have a C3 now, and it fits my riding personality better. But god damn the R5 is sexy. The disc version has clearance for 28 mm, and if I had a do over, that's what I'd go with. No complaints about the C3 though.
56?

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=1&minor=1

Green?

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=1&minor=1
Old 03-30-20, 10:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Thank god neither of those is my size. Really like the green too. Buying that frame and a complete Di2 group would be cheaper than my C3, and I got it for the price of mechanical. Looks like they have everything but 58.

​​​​​​
Old 03-31-20, 04:43 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Cervelo seems to love aweful paint jobs. This is a beautiful exception.
That... is a fair assessment. The bikes are lovely to ride, though, and there's usually a paint job available that you can like.

Frankly I find most bike manufacturers like bad paint, with ether all-black or weird earth-tones ruling the day now. A lot also use awkward accent lines.
Old 03-31-20, 11:08 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

They sure do. Mine is pretty ugly and even it looks better than the corresponding rim version with the white top tube.

Looks pretty good to me!
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 03-31-20, 11:10 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That... is a fair assessment. The bikes are lovely to ride, though, and there's usually a paint job available that you can like.

Frankly I find most bike manufacturers like bad paint, with ether all-black or weird earth-tones ruling the day now. A lot also use awkward accent lines.

Everything is earth tones and it's putting me to sleep/
Old 03-31-20, 11:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Can't disagree with any of this. I must come off like a Cervelo fan boy, I've been riding their bikes for more than a decade now. They handle exactly the way I want and expect a bike to handle. I mean they ride well in other ways too, and they're so easy to fit, but the handling couldn't be more right.

As to earth tones and accents, I have the original C3, it's gray with a white down tube, and brown accents that look like rust or clay or something. It looks better in the flesh than in photos, and it grows on you a bit when it's yours. But it's nothing you'd ever love. Like the teal above, or the green at Excel.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-31-20, 12:35 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Like this one? It does look better in person than in pictures, though.
Old 03-31-20, 02:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
Like this one? It does look better in person than in pictures, though.
Exactly. Guy I ride used to ride with before the pandemic has one. Great bike, bad look IMO—like the TT isn't even part of the frame, but partially mitigated by the white tape and saddle.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-31-20, 03:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

The R5 that looked like that with a red top tube was kind of hot, though.

It seems like every Cervelo has an uncut steering tube poking up over the stem. Glad it's not just me.
Old 03-31-20, 03:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
It seems like every Cervelo has an uncut steering tube poking up over the stem. Glad it's not just me.
With the way things are going (spending an awful lot of time at home), I expect that I'll get my steerer trimmed and top cap flush before too long - it's on the list. The only thing that has kept me from doing it so far is the brake line routed through the fork - I really don't want to disconnect it and I'm not sure if I have enough elbow room to trim it if I don't.
Old 03-31-20, 03:24 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Another guy I used to ride with has that R5 and it's not nearly that heinous for some reason.

Re steerer stubs, at my age you never trust a fart, never waste an erection, and never trim a steerer.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-31-20, 03:39 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Red and black is a good combination and the owner of the LBS had that R5 setup for a while on the Saturday morning rides. I dig the way it looks.

As for the uncut steerer, yesterday was the first time this year I got on my R3 from riding my other bike. I couldn't believe how upright it felt. I'll definitely take a spacer out and have the LBS cut it down.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 03-31-20, 03:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Another guy I used to ride with has that R5 and it's not nearly that heinous for some reason.

Re steerer stubs, at my age you never trust a fart, never waste an erection, and never trim a steerer.
I'm just too lazy to get the steerer cut.
Old 03-31-20, 04:13 PM
2cam16

One day when I see it feasible to buy a carbon saw, I'll cut mine.
IMG_0859 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 03-31-20, 04:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
One day when I see it feasible to buy a carbon saw, I'll cut mine.
A fine-toothed wood saw works dandy.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-31-20, 04:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
With the way things are going (spending an awful lot of time at home), I expect that I'll get my steerer trimmed and top cap flush before too long - it's on the list. The only thing that has kept me from doing it so far is the brake line routed through the fork - I really don't want to disconnect it and I'm not sure if I have enough elbow room to trim it if I don't.
It was on my list for a while, but I eventually let it go.
Old 03-31-20, 07:23 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Hot Tubes used to be an authorized Cervelo repainter. Might still be.

https://www.hottubes.com
Old 03-31-20, 09:37 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Hot damn. Why did you have to go and post that link? I do like the look of that frame. Hmm, shipping to Canada, US/CDN conversion, hmm....could work....
Old 03-31-20, 10:27 PM
2cam16

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A fine-toothed wood saw works dandy.
Good to know! Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.