Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Good quality mixte frames?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Good quality mixte frames?

Old 03-22-20, 07:05 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Peugeot...Ycenna...Hercules...Soma; get 'em all. Girl, you're on Bike Forums. We understand.
Old 03-22-20, 07:26 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
I bought this mixte (technically, a sport, per the scan above) for my daughter. I still have not been able to identify the builder. It's a nicely made 531 double-butted frame & fork with Campagnolo dropouts. It came with an eclectic mix of parts and tubulars. It's currently got a coating of primer and awaiting new paint. I am hoping to find some time during the COVID lockdown to get it finished.

As received (don't mind the high seat post):

Naked pics:

Flickr album - Mystery Mixte: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE4qpdQ
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-23-20, 01:12 AM
babie_lato

Bikes: Peugeot PR65

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I bought this mixte (technically, a sport, per the scan above) for my daughter. I still have not been able to identify the builder. It's a nicely made 531 double-butted frame & fork with Campagnolo dropouts. It came with an eclectic mix of parts and tubulars. It's currently got a coating of primer and awaiting new paint. I am hoping to find some time during the COVID lockdown to get it finished.

As received (don't mind the high seat post):

Naked pics:

Flickr album - Mystery Mixte: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE4qpdQ
Such a beautiful bike! Are you painting it yourself? What paint are you using?
Old 03-23-20, 01:16 AM
babie_lato

Originally Posted by babie_lato
Today I'm going to test-ride this pretty Ycenna mixte.
Unfortunately it's quite for sure too small for me, but still I think it's a good idea to start seeing bikes in real life to get more feeling for how a good frame should look and feel like... And the seller seems to have good bikes regularly, so it will be good to get to know him. Even if this one doesn't fit, he may have something for me in the future.

This Ycenna has Super Vitus 971 double butted tubes so from the knowledge I gained here so far it's not a bad one, is it?

So here is me test-riding the Ycenna yesterday. It’s a great bike and super light but unfortunately clearly too small for me. I’ll continue searching!

Likes For babie_lato:
Old 03-23-20, 10:41 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Such a beautiful bike! Are you painting it yourself? What paint are you using?
Thanks. Yes, I'm repainting it myself. I'm using automotive paint. I let my daughter pick out the color. It's going to be a medium pearl blue.

I like the Ycenna, too. The leg extension looks good, but it seems a little cramped up top. Perhaps a longer stem and different handlebars would help. How did it feel?

Last edited by gaucho777; 03-23-20 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-24-20, 12:18 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,743 Posts
Great picture! Have to agree that it looks a bit cramped. With flat bars and an even longer stem you might just get it to work, but a larger size would definitely be better. It still is a very nice bike, though. They didn't have one in a larger size, I presume?

Old 03-24-20, 12:58 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
This has my vote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990s-KOGA-...TK6nNMzGzOg%3D
Old 03-24-20, 03:59 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I believe that is clearly a custom made frame. I seriously doubt it was made by a production factory. The tubulars and Universal 61 brakes date it to around 1970 give or take. Just as a reminder there weren't decent 700C clinchers until 1975 or a bit later and unless someone was willing to ride much heavier 27 X 1 1/4" wheels, tubulars were the only choice for a maximum ride. I don't know when Universal brakes became extinct but I mostly remember them on bicycles in the 60's.

While that is an outstanding mixte frame, the workmanship for a custom frame is only so so. I'm really curious now who made it. It is possible it was a European made custom frame made by one of the many small shops and imported to the US. Most American builders that started in the 70's were all racer types (only Albert Eisentraut was building in the 60's in the States). So that probably eliminates a majority of them as builders.
Old 03-24-20, 04:26 PM
gaucho777 

Doug Fattic Thanks for your feedback on my mystery frame. I really appreciate your input.

If you are interested, I started another thread about it when I first got the bike. I'd still love to be able to identify the builder, so please do let me know if you think of any other leads. (Btw, I originally thought it was French, but now I don't think it its. So, ignore the original thread title. There was some unusual threading issues. It looks like the BB may have been re-threaded, and possibly the steerer, too.)
Link: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-content.html
Old 04-02-20, 04:55 PM
babie_lato

I found a frame which seems really good to me. It's a Koga Miyata - World Traveller Lady with Hardtlite FM-1 tubing (chromoly, tripple butted) in perfect size: 57cm. I also like the idea of buying just a frame and choosing components myself.

BUT there is one problem: it's a touring frame and the seller wrote me he recommends 700 x 32c or even 700 x 35c tires. I really wanted a bike with thinner tires like maximum 700 x 25c. Is it stupid, pointless or even impossible to put thinner rims and tires on this bike? I don't mind that the geometry of the bike is not like a racer, I don't need to ride super fast. I just really love elegance of thin-tire bikes and I imagine thin rims and tires are also a bit lighter than thick ones?

I found the bike in the Miyata catalogue and it seems to be the model from 1993. I attach a catalogue image below pictures of the actual frame.

And one more stupid question: does a touring bike like this even classify as a mixte? Or are mixtes always female versions of racing bikes?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Likes For babie_lato:
Old 04-02-20, 05:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
babie_lato

As I explained when I posted the chart with the different configurations, "mixte's" are originally universal utility bikes for any and all, they were designed for everybody, not as a women's bike.

Later high end one's are just that, high end mixte's not really racing bikes per say but when they got popular the companies jumped on the bandwagon and made very nice ones for those who wanted fancy, high end ones.

This frame is awesome, the seller is somewhat correct about the wheels as this one has posts for cantilever brakes and clearance for big tires and fenders, you might get away with 25's looking ok but if there's too much clearance it may not look right, this is also a stout frame and maybe on the heavy side negating the "magic" of lightweight tubing like 531. I would be inclined to go with this anyway and work through the process then you would be ready when you find a frame that you really want.
Old 04-02-20, 05:30 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
I found a frame which seems really good to me. It's a Koga Miyata - World Traveller Lady with Hardtlite FM-1 tubing (chromoly, tripple butted) in perfect size: 57cm. I also like the idea of buying just a frame and choosing components myself.

BUT there is one problem: it's a touring frame and the seller wrote me he recommends 700 x 32c or even 700 x 35c tires. I really wanted a bike with thinner tires like maximum 700 x 25c. Is it stupid, pointless or even impossible to put thinner rims and tires on this bike? I don't mind that the geometry of the bike is not like a racer, I don't need to ride super fast. I just really love elegance of thin-tire bikes and I imagine thin rims and tires are also a bit lighter than thick ones?

I found the bike in the Miyata catalogue and it seems to be the model from 1993. I attach a catalogue image below pictures of the actual frame.

And one more stupid question: does a touring bike like this even classify as a mixte? Or are mixtes always female versions of racing bikes?

full disclosure: i am a miyata fan have 2 right now

I think this would be a great base....and you could do about anything with it. fenders/no fenders racks/no racks etc

I would not over worry about the size of the tires......a lot of people ride 28 on "race bikes" i do the key is getting a good quality tire....there are expensive but worth it. I have would suggest Continental gp5000 in 28 or 32.

and as quality mixte bikes in your size are rare and I think the colors are great I wold go for it

only thing I wold look at if it has a braze on shifter boss on the left side

Old 04-02-20, 05:31 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts

I'd buy it. Not many that nice or in that size. Dependent upon the rims you purchase I'm sure you can use 25C however a 30C or 35C would probably be pretty fun for this bicycle. And you won't regret it for sure.

Good to remember that this is a heavy duty touring frame. I doubt it's super heavy though. But it will be a beautiful rider with neutral positioning. Meaning it may be nice with flat bars or sparrow bars or drop bars. Most touring bikes especially from that time are like that.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 04-02-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-02-20, 05:43 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
That Koga Miyata looks great. Why 700 x 25c tires? Larger tires are usually more practical, and offer a much smoother ride.
Old 04-02-20, 06:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3069
That Koga Miyata looks great. Why 700 x 25c tires? Larger tires are usually more practical, and offer a much smoother ride.
Her original posts had her finding a prime lightweight 531 or similar example from the heyday of fine mixte's.

Which of course could happen at any time as we know, but a watched pot......
Old 04-02-20, 08:08 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,743 Posts
"Mixte" describes the frame type with the twin lateral stays from head tube to rear axle, which this is. So yes, this is a mixte frame.

It is a rather sturdy one, though. Designed to carry loads while climbing mountains or crossing deserts. The Range Rover of mixtes. Nice, and extremely capable, but not particularly light or elegant.

Putting skinny racing tires on it would look funny to me.

Old 04-02-20, 11:04 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 512 Posts
babie_lato I know you're looking to restore/build the mixte yourself, but given what you're willing to spend have you looked around the various restoration shops? Many of these bikes can be had for a decent price, are mostly nicer bikes and professionally restored. I follow these on instagram and like what they post:

https://www.dynamocyclerepairs.com/
https://www.damsko.co/
https://ambikeco.com/
https://www.instagram.com/frenchwheels/
https://www.instagram.com/galaxybikes/?hl=en
https://vintageveloberlin.de/

Not what you came here for, I know, but if the search doesn't yield decent results soon and you just want to pull the trigger on something it's worth having a look at those.

Also, I understand the Peugeot hesitations, but as has been said here, they made some nice mixtes, they just aren't as common. And the low end ones are actually also pretty nice when you do away with a lot of the steel components and wheels and swap them for alloy. If you were to just start with a frame it could be worth it. Here's one I recently totally overhauled for my friend. Almost all of the entry level steel bits were replaced with nicer, but mostly period appropriate, alloy components and it's quite light and a beautiful ride. Granted, it being single speed did a lot for the weight.

Last edited by polymorphself; 04-02-20 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 03:00 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts

I would say that's a great option and let me translate the bit below for you and give you a bit of background information:

WordTravellerLady

Effortlessly circle the globe on the WordTravellerLady. A trekking/touring bike extraordinaire with the high quality of Koga-Miyata. The "oversized" tubing of the frame, made using high-quality materials, give the bike stable steering characteristics under all conditions and even using heavy loads. The WordTravellerLady is finished with the best parts with a focus on ease of use. Naturally this bike will be delivered with a very complete, specially selected set of accessories. Rightfully a highly qualified bicycle in its price range.
This was (and still is) a pretty damn light bicycle with its steel chromoly splined triple butted frame.
As shown in the catalog it probably weighed somewhere between 13.3 Kg (29 lbs) to 15.9 Kg (35 lbs) and that's pretty light with fenders, racks, kickstand and dynamo system.
That estimate is based on the weight of the 1986 Traveller Lady and the 1994 GlobeTravellerLady. I've seen a similar weight progression for my SilverAce.
At the time the bike cost around Hfl. 2240,- and that's about € 1814.- ($1958.-) in today's money

Put some modern wheels on there with lightweight tyres and you can make a really light commuter. I wouldn't worry too much about the tyre width. I have a Dutch bike that I put 28mm tyres on and that looks just fine, even though I could probably fit 40mm tyres with fenders. Don't be afraid to put 32mm tyres on there either. If you don't go for too bulky one they can still look really sleek.

I've put semi-drops on a similar bike for my girlfriend and she flies.

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-03-20 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 05:33 AM
babie_lato

Originally Posted by JaccoW
I would say that's a great option and let me translate the bit below for you and give you a bit of background information:
Thank you so much @JaccoW for the translation, that's really kind of you!

Originally Posted by polymorphself
babie_lato I know you're looking to restore/build the mixte yourself, but given what you're willing to spend have you looked around the various restoration shops? Many of these bikes can be had for a decent price, are mostly nicer bikes and professionally restored. I follow these on instagram and like what they post:
Thank you @polymorphself for the links. Yes, I'm checking some shops with restored bikes too, but didn't know those ones, they are amazing!

Originally Posted by brian3069
@brian3069 700 x 25c tires is mostly because of the aesthetics. I just love how sleek they look.

Originally Posted by merziac
babie_lato

This frame is awesome, the seller is somewhat correct about the wheels as this one has posts for cantilever brakes and clearance for big tires and fenders, you might get away with 25's looking ok but if there's too much clearance it may not look right, this is also a stout frame and maybe on the heavy side negating the "magic" of lightweight tubing like 531. I would be inclined to go with this anyway and work through the process then you would be ready when you find a frame that you really want.
@merziac Hmmm yeah maybe I should stop thinking of trying to make out of this Miyata something that it is not... And if thin tires are my priority I should continue to look for a racing type mixte...

But did Miyata make any good racing type mixes at all? Or should I rather look among the French ones?
Old 04-03-20, 06:45 AM
babie_lato

Originally Posted by polymorphself

https://www.dynamocyclerepairs.com/
https://www.damsko.co/
https://ambikeco.com/
https://www.instagram.com/frenchwheels/
https://www.instagram.com/galaxybikes/?hl=en
https://vintageveloberlin.de/
From the pages you posted I like this bike a lot and it's a good size (54cm).

I know RIH bikes were mostly made with Reynolds 531 tubes but this one doesn't have any stickers. And I found an old post on this forum with an identical bike and someone saying it is hi-ten, so if it's true it's not so good right (at least in comparison to chromoly) right?

Old 04-03-20, 07:04 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
As someone who has long been on a vision quest for a taller, decent-quality mixte, I'd say go for that Koga-Miyata. Beautiful frame there. You could compromise on the tire thing--I was a 25c diehard for a long time, but I went to 28c on most of my bikes and haven't looked back. Aesthetically they don't look that much bigger than a 25c, and they don't feel unweildy or noticeably heavier in any way. Get some good pads for those cantis--can't go wrong with Kool Stops--and you're good to go. Look forward to see what you end up with, at any rate.
Likes For PugRider:
Old 04-03-20, 07:11 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
From the pages you posted I like this bike a lot and it's a good size (54cm). I know RIH bikes were mostly made with Reynolds 531 tubes but this one doesn't have any stickers. And I found an old post on this forum with an identical bike and someone saying it is hi-ten, so if it's true it's not so good right (at least in comparison to chromoly) right?
That is right, as I explained before, hi-ten is decent quality but not as good as chrome-moly and definitely not as good as double butted (triple and quad butted are essentially the same as double butted). I wouldn't get a 54cm if I was you, I'd hold out for a 57 because you are a pretty tall gal. The main problem with people not enjoying cycling is because they are not fit properly on their bicycle and the reason they aren't fit properly is because the dimensions of the frame don't allow it. If you don't get the right size, you have bought the wrong bike no matter how wonderful it is otherwise.

I'd get that Miyata. They are outstanding quality and it is your size. Getting the right bicycle is usually a journey for most of us and we don't get to the destination on our 1st bike. There are always some compromises buying any kind of production frame. There is a good chance it will work out nicely for you but if it doesn't you can take the experiences you learned and get something better the next time and sell what you had.

Fashions in tires have changed and fast riders have gone from wanting narrow 23/25mm tires to wider tires now. Even the pros want wider tires. The important thing is getting a very good quality tire and a 28 will be provide a bit more plush ride and look right on that Miyaya.

I've visited the RIH factory in Holland. The owner was very nice to me and provided me with some frame parts for the charity bicycle project we do in Ukraine. They quit making steel frames in the Netherlands because they could bring in aluminum frames from China at a much cheaper price. Don't confuse the 2 RIH companies in Holland. One is a custom maker in Amerserdam (I think) and the other is a production company in another part of the country.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-03-20, 08:38 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

babie_lato I wouldn't go for a smaller frame either, but that's my 2 cents.

When you get to repainting the frame, you might be able to get new stickers from Unlimited Colors (Koga-Miyata) or RIH or whatever other brand you might come across.

I found a complete 1992 Koga-Miyata Traveller in the same size over here.
In terms of price range: RandonneurExtra > WorldTraveller > Traveller

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-03-20 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 09:23 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
just looked again...and I understand what confused me on the only right hand shifter boss on the koga miyata..I am pretty sure .it is a boss for the lever that engages the generator.

just for fun I looked at a US spec Miyata catalog I had a link to (1989) the top end steel race bike the Team was listed as 21.4 pounds, the 1000LT touring was listed at 25.2 or so

go for the miyata (and visit your parents )

Old 04-03-20, 10:39 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by squirtdad
(and visit call your parents )
Fixed that for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.