Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Minneapolis St. Paul Commuters: Thoughts on 1:00 A.M. - 3:00 A.M. through town?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Minneapolis St. Paul Commuters: Thoughts on 1:00 A.M. - 3:00 A.M. through town?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 08:34 PM
MNTC

Bikes: 1991 Eddie Merckx Corsa, 1991 Cannondale 3.0 Road Race, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too familiar with SPD-Ls but as an alternative to backup shoes, consider bringing the hex key or whatever tool you use to attach the cleats instead. Much lighter and smaller, then if you do have to hoof it you can spare the cleat wear and hopefully walk more comfortably (depends on the shoe).
Old 08-17-14, 09:05 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNTC
Not too familiar with SPD-Ls but as an alternative to backup shoes, consider bringing the hex key or whatever tool you use to attach the cleats instead. Much lighter and smaller, then if you do have to hoof it you can spare the cleat wear and hopefully walk more comfortably (depends on the shoe).
Actually, this is pretty encouraging - all the responses I'm getting, and a lot I can say, "got it covered." You folks are helping more than you might realize just by boosting my confidence that I'm not totally clueless. My mini-tool has a hex that fits the cleats, and ya, they would come off pretty fast. Might that cause more damage to the shoes, but be easier to walk in safely? I guess we would be talking < 1/4 mile on asphalt or maybe a dirt path to a road where a cabbie or SAG wagon could pick me up.

Still, I think about the joke of using running shoes to out run the bear...
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 08-26-14, 04:54 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st commute today! It was a really nice ride with clear skies, no moon, minimal wind and about 59 degrees. Later in a week or so I'll move from the 14.9 mile / one-half commute to most, if not all, the way from home.

Thank you everyone for all your assistance.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.