Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Workstand / Truing Stand / Tools

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-30-11, 05:47 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got taken by my LBS and I've decided to learn how to do everything I need for bike maintenance by myself.

I could really use some help from people on figuring out what tools to get without totally breaking the bank.

Since I'll be wanting to build my own wheels, I know I'll need:
1. truing stand
2. dish tool
3. tensiometer
4. good spoke wrenches
5. work stand
6. cassette removal tool (for SRAM)
7. set of bicycle tools
8. ???

I have no idea which of the above to get so I'm hoping that people can make recommendations taking into account that I'm not a shop and wont be using them all the time.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-11, 06:01 AM
mortenfyhn

Bikes: Nishiki International

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Either buy one (bloody expensive) or build one (not that expensive). I used the plans from http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php.

2. Pretty much the same as above. The bloke that wrote the book recommends making one from cardboard.

3. According to the same Musson: It's apparently not necessary.

4. You'll certainly need spoke keys. Find one that matches the nipples you intend to use.

5. That's just for general repair work.

6. You will need that, yes.

7. For general work, yes, but not wheelbuilding.
Old 06-30-11, 06:05 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
A truing stand is far from needed. Makes work faster by allowing a more comfortable/accessible position, but many a perfectly decent wheel has been built using only an upside-down bike as a stand.
Dish tool is even farther down the "need" ladder. A rim that's centered between the locknuts won't move when the wheel is flipped over. Obviously, this take a little time, but that's about the only drawback.
Tensiometer is good. First of it'll let you bypass a lot of experience, which otherwise, to some degree, would have been able to tell you when a spoke is tight enough. Secondy, it'll make it ever so much easier to troubleshoot and discuss if you were to have any issues with your builds.

spoke wrenches are so inexpensive, take so little space that there's really no reason not getting them.
Work stand - I don't have one. But I guess they can be nice.
Cassette tool - I've only used noname versions, and they've held up fine. OTOH I've butchered a number of noname cone wrenches...
Bike tools - there's a bunch of them, but there's also a bunch of generic tools relabeled as bike tools. I've got various pullers, cone wrenches, a cable cutter. But I don't think I'd ever buy a "bicycle Allen key" for instance.

Where to start is entirely dependent on what you want to do. Buy as the need arises. You need a chain whip to go with the cassette removal tool.

Last edited by dabac; 06-30-11 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-30-11, 09:59 AM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a proponent of truing stands because it offers a "cleaner" look, especially if you have fenders, rack or wider tires, for example. Plus, I have cantilever brakes that require a pretty good amount of toe-in with my Salmon pads and I like my levers set high. So the front part of the pad is very close to the rim.

This leaves little room for error with a wheel that's out of true so it's important to have my wheels as straight as they can be. Yes, you can certainly use your brake pads as guides, but for the really subtle variations that the eyes can't see, a truing stand will make an undeniable metal on metal sound for correction.