Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Using M28X Aero rims, need 700x23 tires that goes on without a tire lever.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 08:48 PM
JRoller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have pinched 3 inner tubes trying to get my Michelin Lithion 2 tires on my Neuvation M28X aero rims. This is making me extremely frustrated.

What are decent tires that fit on these rims without me having to use a tire lever and pinching the inner tubes again?

Thank you.
Old 07-29-11, 08:59 PM
Sommando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While not exactly what you may want in response, (as I use tire levers) but I have used Continental GP4000s, Gatorskins and Hutchinsons (Blue ones, forget the model name) without pinching the inner tube. I don't mean to accuse you of anything, but maybe you could use the levers differently?
Old 07-29-11, 09:07 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same wheels with 700x23 tires and have no issues using Pedro's tire levers.
Old 07-29-11, 09:48 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know how to put a tire on? You shouldn't be using levers. There are much tighter tires than those that you have that will go on fine. I have Neuvation wheels and they are soooo easy to get clinchers on compared to my 50mm carbon wheelset I had before. I seriously got blisters putting tires on those.

There are some tricks, like putting soapy water around the tire edge.

Mainly though it shouldn't be harder than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpYAM1GulM
Old 07-29-11, 09:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Creatre, I decided long ago that I just have no upper body strength, so I often need a tire lever to coax a tire back on. Soapy water and many other tricks are worthless when you're fixing a flat on the side of a road in the middle of nowhere, so I ignore those.

To the OP, you need to learn how to make sure the tube doesn't get pinched. Push the tube in before running the lever by that area, and do the last few inches by hand (once you get that close, it's easy). Then, pump it up to about 30-40 psi and check for any bulges. If there are, deflate the tire and push the tube in at that part. If not, you should be good.

Also, make sure you're not twisting the tube.
Old 07-30-11, 02:23 AM
mortenfyhn

Bikes: Nishiki International

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks on Fulcrum Racing 5 rims, and my wimpy arms can get them installed without tools.
Old 07-30-11, 05:54 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JRoller
I have pinched 3 inner tubes trying to get my Michelin Lithion 2 tires on my Neuvation M28X aero rims. This is making me extremely frustrated.

What are decent tires that fit on these rims without me having to use a tire lever and pinching the inner tubes again?

Thank you.
I've got a set of Forté Titan wheels, which internet rumor holds to be re-labeled Neuvation M28s. It was a fight getting tires on them (cheap wire bead Vittorias), and I broke an "unbreakable" tire lever doing it. Didn't pinch a tube, though. Some wheels are just tougher to get tires on than others, and some tires are more difficult to mount. I just put a tire on a Shimano R500 wheel - a Michelin Lithion, BTW - and it went on easily, only needing a tire lever for the last five inches or so, and I could probably have gotten away with hands only. The Mavic Open Pro rims I have don't require a tire lever at all.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-30-11, 08:10 AM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, OP, I also finds the Neuvations a relative PITA to mount tires on and it does take a little more caution than normal.
Old 07-30-11, 08:27 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre

There are some tricks, like putting soapy water around the tire edge.
If I need something to get a tire on I'd rather grab a lever than fart around with soapy water.

To OP, once you get them on the first time they tend to relax some and it's much easier to change later on.
Old 07-30-11, 09:27 AM
wheelcrazy

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4, Specialized Sequoia Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I am 55 years old, have been riding for over 30 years, and I have mounted hundreds of tires in my life of riding. I agree with the OP that the Neuvation M28 Aeros can be hellishly difficult to mount tires to, especially when the tires are new. I just mounted a brand new pair of GP4000's to my M28's, and the rear one in particular was so tight that I had to use a long flat head screwdiver to get the tire over the rim. I was very careful in doing so not to pinch the tube. Having said that, of all the tires that I own, I found that the Maxxis Refuse was by far the easiest to mount to this rim. They slipped on with hands alone. Unfortunately, this tire is also heavy and ride quality is not the greatest. Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comps went on with some difficulty with plastic tire levers, but after a couple of hundred miles of riding, they stretch enough that they will go on and off with hands alone. And, I still love these wheels. They are light, stay true, and the bearings are the smoothest that I have ever had on a set of wheels. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wheelcrazy; 07-30-11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-30-11, 09:32 AM
wheelcrazy

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4, Specialized Sequoia Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, I just noticed that I joined this forum in 2006, and that was my first post. I guess that makes me the World's Ultimate Lurker! Sorry about that guys and gals, but I hope to contribute much more from now on!

Last edited by wheelcrazy; 07-30-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-30-11, 04:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Just get the Conti GP4000s.

You KNOW they are the most appropriate, even if they may be annoying to mount. Be careful and you won't pinch your tube.
Old 07-30-11, 09:36 PM
mississippimud

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
these are amazing tires for around $15-$18 ! i have been running them for 6 months and not one flat ! plus they are cheap ! and i installed them by hand within 2-4 min. they are not the lightest but they are durable for my weekend 30 mile loop, i sorta laugh to myself when i see guys paying 50 dollars per tire or more ! https://www.bontrager.com/model/08860
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
11bo419318.jpeg (19.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by mississippimud; 07-30-11 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 04:29 PM
JRoller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got it thanks guys. Stupid mistake here, I did not put one side of the bead in before putting in the tube. Just did that and muscled the other side in without using a lever. Thanks for the video also, helped a lot.
Old 08-30-11, 07:04 AM
whoiswes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to bump an old post but I'm having the exact same issues - new set of GP4000's and I cannot get the front tire mounted on my M28X wheels. I spent two hours last night and couldn't even get ONE of beads on, let alone both. I was able to get the tire onto a Mavic CXP-22's without too much trouble, but absolutely no go on the Neuvations. My current tires are Vittoria's of some sort, can't remember the details - they go on relatively easy.

I was able to get the rear tire mounted, with some difficulty. I think I'll swap tires tonight and see if the tires are slightly different sizes. I'll also try soaping things up and/or lightly sanding the beads to remove all of the manufacturing waste (all of the little rubber bits left over from the molding process). If none of that works, anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to buy different tires and was really looking forward to trying out the GP4000's.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-30-11, 07:51 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ are you using tire levers?

I like Pedro's tire levers best...
Old 08-30-11, 07:52 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

whoiswes, keep in mind that tires stretch a little over time. Anybody's current tires will go on easier than a set of new, unstretched tires. Once you get the Contis on, they will start to get a little easier to put on.
Old 08-30-11, 07:54 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A also very helpful tip at your stage (or any stage):

Learn to patch tubes. It's the easiest task possible (I've never had one fail, even the first ones), and you can batch patch 5 tubes in <5mins. So when you pinch a tube in your mounting process, it's not like an extra $8 down the drain (or $24 in your case.)
Old 08-30-11, 08:09 AM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelcrazy
LOL, I just noticed that I joined this forum in 2006, and that was my first post. I guess that makes me the World's Ultimate Lurker! Sorry about that guys and gals, but I hope to contribute much more from now on!
lol so much for this!
Old 08-30-11, 08:15 AM
JSMaxwell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the tough to mount a tire the first time, but fairly easy thereafter. I run a Conti GP4000 on the rear and Mich Pro Race 3 in the front. There is a sweet spot in the life of the Mich that let me roll the tire back on w/o a lever. I usually use levers, so if I could roll it on, it was easy. Of course, my flat frequency was starting to increase enough to make me want a new tire so I'll be putting on a new tire this week.

Anyway, it really helps if you get good enough with the lever so that you never pinch the tube.

Oh, and isn't the "Aero MX28" calle dan RX28? Maybe I'm confused.
Old 08-30-11, 08:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I know that some of the above posts mentioning a lack of arm strength are a month old, but it should be mentioned, anyway - (most of the time) you don't need tools or arm strength or thumb strength; when it gets tough, you should be rolling the tire over the edge using the heel of your palms.
Old 08-30-11, 08:21 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know that some of the above posts mentioning a lack of arm strength are a month old, but it should be mentioned, anyway - (most of the time) you don't need tools or arm strength or thumb strength; when it gets tough, you should be rolling the tire over the edge using the heel of your palms.
18 years of trying (rolling, pushing, pulling, pleading, begging), and there are still times when I still need a little help from a lever.
Old 08-30-11, 09:28 AM
whoiswes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback - I'll work on the tires more tonight and see where things end up.

Yes, I was using levers (broke one already) and I've had to patch a number of tubes in my riding history. Never had a single problem with any tire changes until now...even had a roadside flat this week that I had changed and inflated (manually, without CO2) in under 5 minutes.

Too bad I can't use my motorcycle tire changer for this - THAT would make things easy.
Old 08-30-11, 09:29 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire.../dp/B001AYML7K

Use it for the initial installation of new tires at home. Once the tire beads stretch you should be able to roll them over with your hands at on the side of the road.
Old 08-30-11, 09:41 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mississippimud
these are amazing tires for around $15-$18 ! i have been running them for 6 months and not one flat ! plus they are cheap ! and i installed them by hand within 2-4 min. they are not the lightest but they are durable for my weekend 30 mile loop, i sorta laugh to myself when i see guys paying 50 dollars per tire or more ! https://www.bontrager.com/model/08860
Those are some heavy tires... I would much rather use Michelin Lithion 2's which can be had for the same price on PBK and probably roll and handle much, much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.