Notices
Mid-Atlantic Rides and Events Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Potomac Pedalers Back Roads Century 2018

Old 08-27-18, 11:16 PM
  #1  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,464

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Potomac Pedalers Back Roads Century 2018

I signed up for this back in June of this year. I signed up for the 52mil. ride(there is the century, metric century, 52/47, and the 25/29). Thinking my arm would not feel up for doing the metric. I had recently started a statin for my blood pressure. I had the GP put me on a different statin. So now my arm feels fine.

Since I signed up for the 52, instead of the metric. Do you think there would be a problem if I did the metric instead?
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 08-28-18, 03:41 AM
  #2  
jpescatore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashton, MD USA
Posts: 509

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Trek 520

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I did the BRC last year, will be doing it again this year. Not a big deal if you switch rides - they mostly want to know for staffing/stocking of the rest stops and the rest stops for the 50 are shared with the Metric century ride. It is a great ride, scenic routes, well supported.
jpescatore is offline  
Old 09-02-18, 10:41 PM
  #3  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,464

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore View Post
I did the BRC last year, will be doing it again this year. Not a big deal if you switch rides - they mostly want to know for staffing/stocking of the rest stops and the rest stops for the 50 are shared with the Metric century ride. It is a great ride, scenic routes, well supported.
Thanks for responding. I finally got a hold of them by e-mail. They said I could do the Metric instead of the 52.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-10-18, 04:17 AM
  #4  
jpescatore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashton, MD USA
Posts: 509

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Trek 520

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Tried to do the Baltimore Bicycling Club Civil War Century this past Saturday - ran into a deluge at the 33 mile rest stop on the 3 mile ride.

This weekend it looks like Hurricane Florence is heading towards the Back Road Century!
jpescatore is offline  
Old 09-10-18, 01:52 PM
  #5  
mike974
Member
 
mike974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 45

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Salsa Spearfish, Calfee Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore View Post
Tried to do the Baltimore Bicycling Club Civil War Century this past Saturday - ran into a deluge at the 33 mile rest stop on the 3 mile ride.

This weekend it looks like Hurricane Florence is heading towards the Back Road Century!
Yep, the weather royally sucked for the CWC. Most of our group ended up taking the bail-out route after the 3rd climb. Still netted a respectable 75 miles and 6,000', but I was rather bummed as I was feeling really strong. But I was also soaked and miserably cold when we finished, so definitely made the right call.

And sadly, yes, it looks like Back Roads is going to be a complete wash-out. If we actually end up getting the amount of rain that they're potentially calling for, I wonder if they'll simply scrap some or all of the routes on account of flooded roads.
mike974 is offline  
Old 09-12-18, 05:39 AM
  #6  
jpescatore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashton, MD USA
Posts: 509

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Trek 520

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
The Back Roads Century was officially cancelled - the Potomac River has already flooded some roads up there and all the rain had already caused other problems, even in advance of Hurricane Florence. Of course, the track predictions for Flo moved further south immediately after the decision to cancel....

I see the Harrisburg PA club has a ride near Carlisle PA on Sunday, looks like lower chances of rain there. I may give that one a try but it is a 100 mile drive, vs. the 65 mile drive to Sheperdstown for me.
jpescatore is offline  
Old 09-14-18, 10:34 PM
  #7  
Chris0516
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,464

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore View Post
The Back Roads Century was officially cancelled - the Potomac River has already flooded some roads up there and all the rain had already caused other problems, even in advance of Hurricane Florence. Of course, the track predictions for Flo moved further south immediately after the decision to cancel....

I see the Harrisburg PA club has a ride near Carlisle PA on Sunday, looks like lower chances of rain there. I may give that one a try but it is a 100 mile drive, vs. the 65 mile drive to Sheperdstown for me.
I saw that on their website today. Maybe I will take the metric map, with its' rest stops, and just do the distances around the county I live in.
Chris0516 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
10speedBill
Pacific Northwest Regional Rides
0
04-10-16 02:49 PM
Chris516
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
2
09-24-14 06:52 AM
speedevil
Road Cycling
16
10-09-12 06:09 AM
Cannonshell
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
2
02-17-12 11:23 PM
FreddyV
Road Cycling
29
02-05-10 11:43 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.