Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mineral spirits safe on metals?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mineral spirits safe on metals?

Old 07-26-19, 02:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
Why would Simple Green destroy the chain? I've used it and hosed the chain to get it off, then used White Lightning Clean after the chain dried.
Storing a chain in Simple Green would destroy it. That's what ToiletSiphon is proposing to do to avoid the chain rusting. However simply putting it in a seal plastic bag would do be sufficient to keep it from rusting.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 07-26-19, 02:40 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Gasoline isn't great for skin contact, in addition to fire hazard. I would never use it in the house. The few times I've used gasoline for anything, have been on the grass away from everything.

How's kerosene ?..never tried it.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-26-19 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 03:59 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I once left a filthy greasy cogset and chain in a jar of mineral spirits for 6 months. Just forgot about it. All the metal parts, alu and steel were in perfect condition. But just cleaner. No surprise, given the chemistry involved.

Try this with the water-based degreasers, and after this timeframe you'd be pouring out a reddish goo that used to be steel.
Old 07-26-19, 04:47 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
Gasoline isn't great for skin contact, in addition to fire hazard. I would never use it in the house. The few times I've used gasoline for anything, have been on the grass away from everything.

As I understand it, kerosene falls into roughly the same range of compounds as mineral spirits or diesel fuel. Each may have its own specific standards and additives. For me, the choice comes down to which one I can buy and store most conveniently. Cost is a lesser issue, as I don't use a lot of it.

I once forgot about a chain that I had in mineral spirits, and it sat there for months. There was utterly no effect on the chain.
Old 07-26-19, 10:03 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Kerosene is between gasoline and mineral spirits when it comes to flash point. That makes it safer than gasoline but not as safe as using mineral spirits. The trade off for safety is how long it takes for the solvent to dry leaving your chain ready to re-lubricate. Not much of a problem out here as it is supposed to be 109 degrees in the shade tomorrow. Just hang the chain outside for a day or so and it will be solvent free.

You don't even need an open flame to ignite flammable vapors. I had a college professor who had been burned fueling a Coleman lantern. He didn't let it cool a bit before adding more fuel after it ran out of fuel. It flashed over as he filled the tank from a gallon container. It wasn't still lit but the metal was hot enough to ignite the vapors.
Old 07-28-19, 05:35 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post

Kerosene and diesel are great cleaners, but leave an oily residue.
Old 07-28-19, 05:58 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Diesel is the best. I've put diesel in ordinary plastic spray bottles. Cheaper and better than WD-40. I've also used gasoline for soaking old automobile & motorcycle carbuerators. But, that's under very tight controls. Primary & secondary containment. Ventilation. Non sparking tools, Elbow length nitryle laboratory gloves. etc. Watch out for toothbrushes with gasoline. It will dissolve the rubber grip into goo. I don't think it would ever be necessary to soak any bike parts in gasoline.