Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What kind of bike you use for commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What kind of bike you use for commuting?

Old 01-17-19, 05:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jay1117 View Post
What kind of bike do you use for commuting?
I have used a German 10-speed c.1974, a nice Italian road bike (Cinelli Supercorsa) dripping with Campy, a fat bike (Surly Pugsley) a folding bike (Breezer Itzy), a touring bike (LHT), City Bikes (Ride Share), and my favorite is a bike I picked up out of my LBS's rental fleet for $100. And I try not to sink money into it by upgrading, although it is now cassette rear wheel instead of freewheel because I was breaking axles and, of course, tougher tires for our glass-filled streets. I have annihilated dudes and dudettes on carbon road bikes with it in city traffic. It is an ancient (2001) Jamis Explorer with chopped-down bars (my shoulder width), a straight-block 7-speed cassette, and saddle/handlebar/pedal config is the same as my fancy road bike, slick 26x2.0 tires. It is set up to race traffic in a city grid and not be too expensive to lose to thieves. I've had it 10 years now. Every bike on this list is steel.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 01-17-19 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 08:49 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride almost exclusively on this Kona Big Rove AL:

I used to also ride a Surly Straggler into work, but it's not as fun to commute on as the Kona.
Old 08-27-19, 01:47 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I use this kalhkoff bike (already posted somewhere in another thread)

Old 08-29-19, 02:09 PM
aplcr0331
Compulsory Collectivisim

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Old 08-30-19, 12:30 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 79 Posts
I have been using my "good" bikes for commuting, even if it means using a backpack

why: life is too short to not ride your most fun bike, I live in an area of mostly nice weather

I use 28mm tires and SKS race blade fenders if it is wet

Here is my current one (previous were Miyata 1400 and De Rosa)

85 Team Miyata

Old 08-30-19, 01:04 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite, Specialized TriCross Sport, Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Obviously, I need to go take pictures of my bike, shameful I don't have any handy to post. I'll fix that when I leave work in a little while and add them here later. I ride a Specialized TriCross Sport, purportedly a 'cross bike, but I think it was really meant to be a commuter bike. I used to ride my (Specialized) Allez Elite, but was blowing tires almost once a week, so I looked for something better suited to the pathetic condition of most Los Angeles streets. I found it in the TriCross. Once I swapped the dirt tires for some Continental Cityrides, it went much faster, too. It's got a big carbon fork that just seems to seek out potholes to show them who's boss, I hardly ever get a flat, and those MTB-style brakes will stop pretty quickly in all kinds of weather, which, in L.A., means either warm, or rainy a few days a year (a co-worker once asked me what I do on those rainy days; I said, "well, usually, I get wet"). Triple crank for those pesky hills between home and work (West L.A. and Glendale), and dual brake levers for easy access in traffic surprises. A pair of Timbuk2 panniers on the back to carry my regular shoes and whatever I'm going to wear at work that day, and I'm good to go.

There, photo added. Unfortunate lack of other-colored backdrop makes it a little tough to see. Even the abandoned bike on the right is almost the same color.

The biggest improvement to my commute lately is the construction of a bike storage/maintenance facility in the parking garage at work. They're still building it, but it'll have secure storage so I don't have to remove the lights, seat bag, cyclocomputer, etc. once I get to work. There will be pictures once it's done.

Y'all may have some nastier weather to deal with, but judging by these pics, your commutes are a lot prettier than mine, though there is a certain charm to riding through Hollywood (not really). Since I skirt the edge of Griffith Park, I do get to see the occasional coyote, though.

Last edited by giffenf; 09-01-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 01:27 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
My NYC metro commuter for the last 10 months.. $140 Sundeal folding bike w/disc brakes.
Old 08-30-19, 07:52 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
I hate studded tires. They sux. I hope you find some that work better than all the ones I've tried.
Yeah, they require more effort to ride, but when you hit the black ice and don't bust your @$$ or other parts, it doesn't seem so bad.
Schwalbe "Marathon Winter" on my commuter, and Nokian "Extreme 294" on my mountain bike (for fun!).

No falls! Try this without studs. :-)
Old 08-30-19, 08:12 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Here's my non-winter commuter, a Tern Verge S11i.

Recently passed the 7,000 mile mark.

Dahon Mu XL in "winter" trim.

My commute is 100 miles round-trip, but all but about 7 miles are on METRA (Chicago's "heavy rail"), so a folder is necessary.
Old 08-31-19, 05:06 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 57 Posts

I’ve been riding this one the last few days...I really like it: