Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Old 09-25-19, 10:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Venzo VZ-F33-054 torque wrench. It's tiny. And functional.
It also doesn't require calibration, assuming it's accurate to begin with. Nice find!
Old 09-25-19, 11:10 AM
eduskator

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
It also doesn't require calibration, assuming it's accurate to begin with. Nice find!
Won't the metal end up losing its properties (excuse me if I don't use the proper word here) on the long run? It will not stay calibrated forever.
Old 09-25-19, 11:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
Won't the metal end up losing its properties (excuse me if I don't use the proper word here) on the long run? It will not stay calibrated forever.
You may be right, over some time scale and level of use, and I'm sure one of the materials science experts, mechanics, (or BSers) here will straighten us out on that. Allz I know is beam torque wrenches require calibration a lot less often than clickers, which require it on a regular basis.
Old 09-25-19, 12:12 PM
WhyFi

Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9404 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
First Rapha kit (bought it in black), really, really hope it fits (looking to wear off the bike and replace a lightweight Banana Republic vest I've worn for 5+ years nearly every day fall through spring):

I take it that's the Transfer Insulated Gilet? They have the regular Insulated Gilet on sale in my size, but it doesn't look like it has the dual zip, which would be really nice on the bike... Let me know what you think of it when it arrives.

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Haven't had a torque wrench in years, since I last worked on old cars and motorcycles. Didn't see any need for one with my steel bikes.

But a friend gave me a Diamondback Podium 5 frame to build up from whatever bits and pieces I have in the spares bin. First encounter with carbon fiber steerer, thought I'd better do it right so it doesn't asplode.

I was about to order one of those preset clicky 3-5nm wrenches but another BFer posted about this teensy Venzo beam torque wrench. Sooooo... why not. My first bike tool starter kit was from Venzo a few years ago and everything has been good, especially the shop grade chain tool.

It's so cute. And it works.

Also, turns out I'm way too gentle. My guesstimate for 5nm was way below spec, closer to 3nm.
Venzo VZ-F33-054 torque wrench. It's tiny. And functional.
Awwwww - that's super cute. I had the same revelation when I got a torque wrench, too - I was consistently under (but everything was holding). Better than being ham-fisted.
Old 09-25-19, 01:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
@canklecat where did you purchase the torque wrench from?
Amazon, for $25.

I was reading old BF threads on torque wrenches and another fellow earlier this year suggested the Venzo. I couldn't find anything locally that was suitable for wrenching carbon fiber bit on bikes so I gave this a try.

And after watching this I've sworn off guesstimating wrenching anything on carbon fiber. Yikes. Bad enough seeing the damage caused by careless tightening but it's a puckering experience to see how many imperfections there are in a simple cylinder right out of the factory.

I know it's kinda trendy among makers of inexpensive bikes to tart up a steel or aluminum bike with a carbon fork. Now I'm wondering whether it ought to be the other way around: safe-n up a carbon bike with a steel fork.

I was in the process of building up a Diamondback Podium 5 frame I got from a friend, but now I'm gonna completely disassemble it and inspect everything first, especially the fork and steerer.

Old 09-26-19, 01:59 PM
Boogie85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized top tube bag
Old 09-26-19, 02:43 PM
dagray 

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I purchased a Selle SMP "Evolution" saddle in red, a set of flat pedals for my mountain bike, and a tire sealant injector for my tubeless road tires.
Old 09-26-19, 02:52 PM
WhyFi

Picked up a Genuine Innovations tubeless repair kit. For the first time in 3+ years of riding tubeless, I had an in-between puncture - it isn't big enough to total the tire, but it's too big for the sealant to keep it effectively sealed. Popping in the 'bacon strip' was easy enough - will see how much air it holds overnight and take it for a test ride tomorrow.

Old 09-26-19, 03:14 PM
newduguy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a "new"-in-box Computrainer Lab for $200 that was purchased and never used by the owner. Came with all cables, Polar HRM receiver, 4 extra cadence sensors and earlobe HRMs packages, and original documents and CDs.

I know newer trainers have more bells and whistles, but for me, Computrainer is perfect. I prefer wired and can use PerfPro's CT Bridge for all newer software that doesn't interface with Computrainer.
Old 09-27-19, 07:49 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I take it that's the Transfer Insulated Gilet? They have the regular Insulated Gilet on sale in my size, but it doesn't look like it has the dual zip, which would be really nice on the bike... Let me know what you think of it when it arrives.
So I'm going to keep it. I don't see myself using it on the bike though, I bought it for off the bike and it will work well.

The things I don't love about it, I knew going in so not a huge deal - I don't care for the logo on the back, the rounded corners near the bottom zip, or the ribbed fabric side panels (but the stretchiness is nice). The one thing I don't like that I didn't realize when I bought it is that the zipper pull is on the left, which I always grew up thinking that was for women's garments? Arm holes are also a little small, but it's fine. Fits pretty good though.

I know it sounds like wtf did I buy it for, but it is VERY thin and light, like the Banana Republic one it's replacing, and that's been really, really hard to find in a vest. It really feels like there's nothing inside it.

Is it worth $190? Absolutely not. Is it worth $95? Questionable, but again, considering I have been looking for a vest that's basically made of nothing for the last few years, this fits the bill.
Old 09-28-19, 05:12 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
So I'm going to keep it. I don't see myself using it on the bike though, I bought it for off the bike and it will work well.

The things I don't love about it, I knew going in so not a huge deal - I don't care for the logo on the back, the rounded corners near the bottom zip, or the ribbed fabric side panels (but the stretchiness is nice). The one thing I don't like that I didn't realize when I bought it is that the zipper pull is on the left, which I always grew up thinking that was for women's garments? Arm holes are also a little small, but it's fine. Fits pretty good though.

I know it sounds like wtf did I buy it for, but it is VERY thin and light, like the Banana Republic one it's replacing, and that's been really, really hard to find in a vest. It really feels like there's nothing inside it.

Is it worth $190? Absolutely not. Is it worth $95? Questionable, but again, considering I have been looking for a vest that's basically made of nothing for the last few years, this fits the bill.
Cool - thanks for the thoughts. IMO, fit and versatility are huge, and it's pretty easy for me to justify ~$100 for something that can/will be worn daily. Hopefully you get your money's worth out of it!
Old 09-30-19, 08:25 PM
bpcyclist

Bikes: 56 cm BMC SLR02 w/105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Grabbed a new set of Look Keo Grip Cleats for the wet months here. I find they help me not fall on my butt when I'm pushing off at intersections in the rain.
Old 10-01-19, 05:44 AM
android_hosp

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax, Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a pair of Castelli Diluvio Pro shoecovers in black. Getting cold here.
Old 10-01-19, 07:34 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
Needed a new helmet to go with my new (to me anyway) mountain bike.

Old 10-05-19, 01:22 AM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ordered up a set of Boyd Altamont lite disc wheels, trading in my OEM wheels for junior riders and a nice discount.
Old 10-05-19, 03:02 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '87 Centurion IM Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Got recently a cheap shoe cover. Used twice so far but was not actually raining.
Easy to put and take out. I wear 7.5 shoes, so ordered a M size and initially I tough it was a bit small, but I think is a good fit now.
Old 10-05-19, 05:31 PM
Greiselman

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I invested in a professional bike fitting 10 days ago... best move ever. No soreness or discomfort on the saddle, both during and after long rides. Amazing.
Likes For Greiselman:
Old 10-05-19, 06:22 PM
TriBiker19

Bikes: 1985 Shogun, 1987 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
I purchased a new chain, a chain tool, and a seat for my son's Trek.

I also anticipate I'll be purchasing some sandpaper, a couple cans of paint, and grips... Kids bikes get beat up...
Old 10-05-19, 06:34 PM
melikebikey35

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I just picked up a set of Roval CLX50's and GP5000's. Both of which are excellent.

roval-clx50 by Jamey Freeman, on Flickr
Old 10-06-19, 10:41 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
@FeltF2Tarmac I have set of Boyd 44mm rims. Love them. I suspect you'll be equally as happy with your Altamont Lite wheels too.
Old 10-07-19, 04:02 AM
tabl10s

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fourth and last Ceramicspeed OSPW.
Five pairs of Extralite Streeters.
New gloves.
Velocio Signature bibs.
Garmin 1030.

Last edited by tabl10s; 10-14-19 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 05:30 AM
android_hosp

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax, Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rotor Aldhu 24 axle and crank arms 165 mm. Eventually will add the new Rotor Inspider power meter along with 50/34 chainrings, possibly Q-rings.
Old 10-07-19, 06:28 AM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greiselman View Post
I invested in a professional bike fitting 10 days ago... best move ever. No soreness or discomfort on the saddle, both during and after long rides. Amazing.
Jealous, I'm out $245 after mine and all I got was a stem with 10mm difference. Still having problems. Going to start trying every saddle I can get my hands on.
Old 10-07-19, 07:19 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Carbon 1, Bianchi Impulso All Road 105

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Most recent purchase was a Hammerhead Karoo. After some initial concerns, I've decided I like the flexibility of it. I like having the Cateye for instant data and the Karoo for mapping and ride recap data.
Old 10-07-19, 07:24 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrarider7 View Post

Most recent purchase was a Hammerhead Karoo. After some initial concerns, I've decided I like the flexibility of it. I like having the Cateye for instant data and the Karoo for mapping and ride recap data.
So the Karoo doesn't give you instant data? Can you not customize the screen to show what you want to see?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.