Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My Bikes Seem Jealous of Each Other...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-12-19, 07:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

I have three bikes and they reside in the shed alongside each other and my wife's bike. Over the last two months I have been acquiring parts to convert my old straight-bar Nishiki Blazer mountain bike to drop bars.

Last week I played with the new handlebars and stem before riding the Charge Plug to the office. Later that day the rear disc brake arm came apart. (I ordered a new one and replaced it last weekend.)

Tuesday morning I put the intended shifters in the shed before riding the Plug to work and the less-than-a-year-old rear wheel began squeeking. At lunch I rode it to the bike shop and on the way a shifter cable snapped. (The shop inspected the rear hub and said it was a little loose, regreased the bearings, tightened it and replaced the shifter cable.)

The new brake levers arrived Tuesday, so yesterday morning (Wednesday) I put those in the shed next to the drop bars and shifters. I decided to ride my 1984 Nishiki International to work. A mile from the office a rear drive-side spoke snapped. At lunch I rode to the bike shop for the second day in a row. And then on the way home, this happened:

Today, Thursday, I will ride the old mountain bike to work for what should be the last commute with straight bars before the conversion.

Heaven only knows what the other bikes will plan for me after that.
Old 09-12-19, 11:00 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I was riding from Toronto Canada to Barrie Canada one time a long time ago. I moved onto the unpaved shoulder to let a bunch of semis go by. I had a wire similar to yours go right through my rear wheel from the left side to the right side. The wire then struck the seatstays but didn't bend. It tore holes about 4 inches long in either side of the tire and tube. Fortunately it wasn't too far a walk to a Canadian Tire store where I was able to buy a new tube and rear tire.

Cheers
Old 09-12-19, 12:40 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
@BobbyG, I'd lock up the knives.
Old 09-12-19, 02:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
That tire needs its own "Is this OK to ride" thread.

Possible spoilers are, "Put some shoe goo on it" and "This is why I've converted all my bikes to tubeless" and any number of references to goat head thorns.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 09-12-19, 05:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I was riding from Toronto Canada to Barrie Canada one time a long time ago. I moved onto the unpaved shoulder to let a bunch of semis go by. I had a wire similar to yours go right through my rear wheel from the left side to the right side. The wire then struck the seatstays but didn't bend. It tore holes about 4 inches long in either side of the tire and tube. Fortunately it wasn't too far a walk to a Canadian Tire store where I was able to buy a new tube and rear tire.

Cheers
A couple of years ago I had a three-inch nail go through the rear sidewall on my main commuter. It contacted both rear fender supports pulling the fender inward and snapping it jamming the jagged edge into the rear tire, freezing the rear wheel. This was just a half-mile from the office. Earlier in the ride a shifter cable had snapped.

By the way, yesterday's puncture is only the second time in 12 years that an foreign object actually pierced the tire liners (Mr. Tuffys). All other punctures came through the sidewall.

I will go months without any problems or drama and then...bam, bam, bam!
Old 09-12-19, 05:11 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Cage fight...winner gets new doodads for a month.