Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Fantasy Vuelta + general Vuelta Discussion!

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Fantasy Vuelta + general Vuelta Discussion!

Old 09-13-19, 06:15 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
It's my own fault for not being more obsessed with cyclists, I guess. I have no idw\ea how everyone has so much knowledge of the sport !!!
Crazy dumb luck on my part! Can't believe Craddock helped me stay on the podium so long. Looking forward to some more greatness from this guy!

I fear I can't hold off Velocrank much longer, lacking Majka. Unless Rodriguez and Stetina make something magic happen. Almost thought I had it today with Craddock and Stetina in the break, or the other day with Rodriguez. Meh it was a good run.

DQS with 61 pro wins this year!! Everyone's talking up the youngsters but how about Gilbert, Valverde and (earlier this season) Nibali? Not too shabby.
Old 09-13-19, 06:33 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Now that I'm 1 point down I'll come out of hiding.

This is getting pretty exciting.
Yeah, you guys are making it very interesting. Congrats to both of you for superb picks. May the best Fred win.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-14-19, 05:43 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
It's a real nail biter here in the VeloLeague and, from the snippets I see in the steephill headlines before getting back to my hedonism, a heckuva race.

I see my team has clawed its way into the top 10,000 of all of the teams and I have almost cemented my place off the front of the laughing bunch but decisively behind the shredded remains of the peloton. The cream of the crap. I'm a little disappointed I haven't done much full contact fantasy sporting this GT. Poor performance and prospects would never slow me down, I am a victim of poorly timed trips (walking in old England, motorcycling in New England) have gotten in the way. My only consolation is that my pale presence in this thread dampens the mitigating glimmer of joy and accomplishment @ooga-booga salvages from getting counterattacked and put back onto Pitcairn Island while I remain adrift in my life boat.

So there's that.

Or will "it's cycling" strike in stage 20? Tune in and see!

Fortunately, I am senile enough that I will be able to watch some of the replays and still be surprised by the winners. October Vuelta for me. And training for the Giro.
Old 09-14-19, 02:02 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
It's a real nail biter here in the VeloLeague and, from the snippets I see in the steephill headlines before getting back to my hedonism, a heckuva race.

I see my team has clawed its way into the top 10,000 of all of the teams and I have almost cemented my place off the front of the laughing bunch but decisively behind the shredded remains of the peloton. The cream of the crap. I'm a little disappointed I haven't done much full contact fantasy sporting this GT. Poor performance and prospects would never slow me down, I am a victim of poorly timed trips (walking in old England, motorcycling in New England) have gotten in the way. My only consolation is that my pale presence in this thread dampens the mitigating glimmer of joy and accomplishment @ooga-booga salvages from getting counterattacked and put back onto Pitcairn Island while I remain adrift in my life boat.

So there's that.

Or will "it's cycling" strike in stage 20? Tune in and see!

Fortunately, I am senile enough that I will be able to watch some of the replays and still be surprised by the winners. October Vuelta for me. And training for the Giro.
i consider myself properly counterattacked and dropped/shelled. the air was so fresh on that short-lived breakaway. back to the fetid smells of the unkempt peleton for me.
Old 09-15-19, 02:22 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

congrats to canam73 and team the bounty in taking the whole enchilada while nearly going wire to wire. picking all three podium finishers is well-nigh impossible to beat and a hefty kudos to that. team slow (s)pokes somehow managed to stay upright just long enuff for second while str8jakett’s Velocrank team came on like gangbusters to take third. thanks to all that played and hope to see you in la primavera for the giro!
Old 09-15-19, 05:33 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
congrats to canam73 and team the bounty in taking the whole enchilada while nearly going wire to wire. picking all three podium finishers is well-nigh impossible to beat and a hefty kudos to that. team slow (s)pokes somehow managed to stay upright just long enuff for second while str8jakett’s Velocrank team came on like gangbusters to take third. thanks to all that played and hope to see you in la primavera for the giro!
Just curious where the additional points in the end came from? Surprised to see that much difference in first and second after being so close, and the final stage being very close.

Might benefit me to read the rules.

Last edited by one4smoke; 09-15-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 06:00 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Hey, that was enjoyable and certainly addictive, thanks for setting up the league!
Old 09-16-19, 01:26 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Just curious where the additional points in the end came from? Surprised to see that much difference in first and second after being so close, and the final stage being very close.

Might benefit me to read the rules.

a ton of additional points for the final standings in the gc, points and kom categories. por ejemplo, canam73 had the top three gc finishers in roglic (500 points), valverde (400) and
pogacar (350) for a total of 1250, while i had #'s 3 (pogarcar 350), 5 (lopez 260) and 6 (majka 220) for 830 points. that 420 points was the difference. i had higuita and tgh with some extra points (150 total)
(and canam73 had chaves for 60) but not enough. those end of race points are huge so even if your guy doesn't win a stage but finishes and ends up seventh on the gc at the end, it's as good as a stage win.
normally, my 3, 5 and 6 along with a 14 and 20 final gc standing guys for 980 points would trump most players that picked the winner but little else. what do you do when your opponent sweeps
the podium? you bow and say "well done."

Last edited by diphthong; 09-16-19 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 01:34 AM
diphthong

dqs with four stage wins...shoulda been five with the opening ttt. not too shabby for a "classics" team.
dqs with five stage wins...shoulda been six with the opening ttt. not too shabby for a "classics" team.
Old 09-16-19, 01:39 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by str8jakett
Hey, that was enjoyable and certainly addictive, thanks for setting up the league!
you're welcome and thanks for playing! i find it actually helps me enjoy the grand tours more. so many things to focus on.
the different daily competitions like the white jersey or the points jersey along with intrarace items like the second climb of the day
and the first sprint of the stage. the games within the game within the game.
Old 09-16-19, 02:42 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

you're welcome and thanks for playing! i find it actually helps me enjoy the grand tours more. so many things to focus on.
the different daily competitions like the white jersey or the points jersey along with intrarace items like the second climb of the day
Absolutely. I find myself ever more involved in all aspects of the race, and chomping at the bit waiting for results to be posted later in the day. I've always enjoyed a grand tour, but without a lot of option of actually watching them on TV, it;s hard to stay focused for three weeks. I've also been much more interested in some of the shorter stage races that were offered on Velogames and the daily results rather than just seeing who takes the overall.
Old 09-16-19, 06:36 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by str8jakett
Yes, thank you OB SR for heading up all these for us! Sure makes the GT's a lot more fun. Even though the Vuelta wasn't quite as fun for me as the TdS and TdF, as I was MIA for this last one ...it was enjoyable none-the-less.

So, this can't be it until the Giro, can it? More, more, more I say!
Old 09-16-19, 09:13 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Yes thanks ooga and everyone! I humbly tip my hat to Str8jakett who like Majka humbly pushed me to fourth.

Shout out to team EF, even with the catastrophe lent me a total of 1,376 points between the three. Can't wait to see Craddock riding again. Hope there's another one of these soon
Old 09-16-19, 12:11 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by Zviedrs6020
What's next this season? Is there any Fantasy for UCI World championships?
there’s this:

https://www.velogames.com/autumn-classics/2019/

fun in scrolling through the riders and i’ve got a team for giggles but having to modify/transfer riders potentially for every race isn’t my thing. it does seem to be for others, tho. this includes the world championship road race and others...
Old 09-16-19, 12:57 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

A long, cold winter of plotting revenge lies ahead. Fortunately, revenge is a dish best served cold. And the Giro is very cold -- just ask little Stjevjen Kjruikjwijkjk about how cjold it was in that snjow bank. Where I stand a hjigh chance of winding up with hjim.

From the middle of the pack, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Well done, winners! Well done, losers!

Old 09-17-19, 01:15 AM
diphthong

^no more monty python and the holy grail for you, slcbob...
Old 09-17-19, 03:06 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Yes thanks ooga and everyone! I humbly tip my hat to Str8jakett who like Majka humbly pushed me to fourth.

Shout out to team EF, even with the catastrophe lent me a total of 1,376 points between the three. Can't wait to see Craddock riding again. Hope there's another one of these soon
Thank you, pure luck!

there’s this:

https://www.velogames.com/autumn-classics/2019/

fun in scrolling through the riders and i’ve got a team for giggles but having to modify/transfer riders potentially for every race isn’t my thing. it does seem to be for others, tho. this includes the world championship road race and others...
I don't think I came into those classics with a very good strategy. Seems you'd just have to let about half your team sit the bench. I'll be out of transfers after two more races with my current methods.
Old 09-17-19, 05:15 AM
diphthong

the classics are a different (m)animal. i just run the get off my lawn grand tours and some of the mid-season, oldsmobile weeklong races like the dauphine, toc and tds.
if someone feels compelled to champion and host the punks not yet dead classics game(s) in a fantasy capacity-feel free. post it in this forum and count me in.
if someone feels compelled 2 champion and host the metamucil/ovaltine/(p)runes game(s) in a fantasy capacity-feel free. post it in this forum and count me in.
methinx our own curmudgeon-slcbob-a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away-hosted a gt or two. coulda been the pleistocene period...maybe the miocene.
memory collapses and you invent it as you see fit...except with me finishing first at the tdf game. thomas edison in the rainbow jersey couldn't pace me to the top of the podium.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-17-19 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-17-19, 11:32 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ yes, that may have happened, though it feels like it was pre-Cambrian. I am glad you took over and are blazing the way ahead.

I was channeling the Wrath of Khan above. By the way, fresh off the Star Trek Experience near Fort Ticonderoga. Really. Google it. It's there. I got the Monty Python out of my system for a year or two (OK, maybe a week or two) while walking Hadrian's Wall -- alternately muttering "The Britons! Who are they?" and "What have the Romans ever done for us?" It's not clear why I'm not single. Though my lovely wife works with Special Ed kids and has the patience of Sisyphus so maybe it is a little clear.

The spring classics league is work. But you know how it goes, per Eddie -- the hardest races are the easiest ones to win, because there is plenty of opportunity for the lesser riders to be ground away and the best rider to move to the top. That's why I'm so lousy in the VeloLeague GTs. They're just too easy. Yeah, that's my story!!

OK then. See you all in the spring classics!
Old 09-17-19, 11:39 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

P.S. I just threw down for the NBC Sports Gold rugby world cup pass and it makes the cycling package look like a bargain! If I had to pay $200 for the cycling pass, I'd be watching every pedal stroke of Omloop Het Nieusblad and even that weird one where they race around the port to get my $$$ worth.
Old 09-17-19, 01:24 PM
diphthong

^ yes, that may have happened, though it feels like it was pre-Cambrian. I am glad you took over and are blazing the way ahead.

I was channeling the Wrath of Khan above. By the way, fresh off the Star Trek Experience near Fort Ticonderoga. Really. Google it. It's there. I got the Monty Python out of my system for a year or two (OK, maybe a week or two) while walking Hadrian's Wall -- alternately muttering "The Britons! Who are they?" and "What have the Romans ever done for us?" It's not clear why I'm not single. Though my lovely wife works with Special Ed kids and has the patience of Sisyphus so maybe it is a little clear.

The spring classics league is work. But you know how it goes, per Eddie -- the hardest races are the easiest ones to win, because there is plenty of opportunity for the lesser riders to be ground away and the best rider to move to the top. That's why I'm so lousy in the VeloLeague GTs. They're just too easy. Yeah, that's my story!!

so does my ex of 22 years. i’m sensing a pattern here...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-19-19, 04:52 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Just a couple of short bus riding obtuse cycling fans. One rabbit stew, coming right up! D'oh!!!
Old 09-20-19, 02:17 AM
diphthong

plenty of scorched earth and nada lotta pillaging/sacking/booty/spoils.
Old 09-22-19, 12:50 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Is the Vuelta over? Did I win?

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Likes For dstrong:
Old 09-22-19, 08:05 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by dstrong
Is the Vuelta over? Did I win?
You did ...and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I was a close 2nd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.