Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is the most awesome wheelset I could buy with $500.00??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 12:06 PM
StalkerZERO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Simple question.
I've got a 2005 specialized roubaix comp (all black) and I wanted to upgrade the wheelset (kysyrium equipes). Black bladed spokes would be cool but whatever the look.....
What would be an awesome wheelset for about $500.00 bucks? Or is that just too cheap? I could always get the wheelset used or on sale if your suggestions are too expensive.

Last edited by StalkerZERO; 05-04-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 12:16 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velomax Circuit Comps aka Easton Circuits. Bulletproof, light, I've had them 4K miles and never needed truing. Half that mileage includes the best NYC streets could offer...
Old 05-04-06, 12:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Custom handbuilt to your specifications, what's cooler than that?

spokes $20-70
Rims ~ $120
Hubs $100-300
Labor ~ $50

Right around your budget and you get to choose number of spokes, cross pattern, type of spokes, almost any rim available, and a decent set of hubs.
Old 05-04-06, 12:46 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StalkerZERO
Black bladed spokes would be cool but whatever the look.....
What would be an awesome wheelset for about $500.00 bucks?
For under $500 you could get a strong 1515g wheelset lighter than a pair of Ksyrium SL, built by Mike Garcia or another custom wheelbuilder. Something like:

Front, 650 gram 28 spoke wheel
https://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/2/117.htm?608

Rear, 865 gram 28 spoke (still under 900g for 32-spoke)
https://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/2/119.htm?608

Or if you want something aero, substitute his 30mm rim.

https://www.oddsandendos.com/
Old 05-04-06, 01:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

thewalrus, that's a very nice set of wheels at a nice price.
Old 05-04-06, 01:10 PM
Joe101689

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheels

bontrager race lite wheelset is 499.99. they weigh about 1690 grams. try them out
Old 05-04-06, 01:11 PM
Joe101689

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheels

bontrager race lite wheelset is 499.99. they weigh about 1690 grams. 20 spoke front wheel and 24 spoke rear wheel. these things are strong and light. try them out
Old 05-04-06, 01:14 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Campy Zondas are cool...

Old 05-04-06, 01:22 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Custom handbuilt to your specifications, what's cooler than that?

spokes $20-70
Rims ~ $120
Hubs $100-300
Labor ~ $50

Right around your budget and you get to choose number of spokes, cross pattern, type of spokes, almost any rim available, and a decent set of hubs.
If I go the custom route for $500.00 bucks approximately what expensive pre-built wheelsets could I get mine comparable to? And about naming some companies or brands I should be looking at.
Old 05-04-06, 01:36 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

If I go the custom route for $500.00 bucks approximately what expensive pre-built wheelsets could I get mine comparable to? And about naming some companies or brands I should be looking at.
Well for starters, I just bought a NOS Record 24h front hub for $15 and a new Record 28h rear hub for $130. I am currently debating on the following lightweight rims to be laced 2X with 14/15/14 double butted spokes, and most likely Velocity Aerohead rims for $50 each. Calculations say that they should weigh 1600 grams when complete, which I expect to actually be 1700. Even with the pricey hubs, the while build should cost me about $250 (I'm doing the building myself so no labor charge, which would run about $50)

It all depends on what you want, but I recommend Mavic, Sun, and Velocity rims, DT Swiss spokes, and Shimano Ultegra hubs are an amazing bang for the buck. Let me know what you want (strong, light, aero, middle of the road) and I can make some more specific suggestions.
Old 05-04-06, 01:42 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trust someone who has tested the limits - a hand built set of 36 hole, 3 cross, Open Pro/Ultegras..... maybe w/DT Revolution spokes for weight savings. I have trashed several sub 500 dollar wheelsets and one almost $1k set.......
Old 05-04-06, 01:44 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Campy Zondas are cool...

Yup their very cool. But tell me...I don't know much about campy stuff. Would that wheelset work with my shimano cog/gears N whatnot?
Old 05-04-06, 01:47 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seriously - the ultegra/open pros can look cool. Here's mine:

You can probably get 'em for under $300 and get yourself some kewl pedals or something to boot.
Old 05-04-06, 01:53 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Well for starters, I just bought a NOS Record 24h front hub for $15 and a new Record 28h rear hub for $130. I am currently debating on the following lightweight rims to be laced 2X with 14/15/14 double butted spokes, and most likely Velocity Aerohead rims for $50 each. Calculations say that they should weigh 1600 grams when complete, which I expect to actually be 1700. Even with the pricey hubs, the while build should cost me about $250 (I'm doing the building myself so no labor charge, which would run about $50)

It all depends on what you want, but I recommend Mavic, Sun, and Velocity rims, DT Swiss spokes, and Shimano Ultegra hubs are an amazing bang for the buck. Let me know what you want (strong, light, aero, middle of the road) and I can make some more specific suggestions.
I would like something that performs better than the ksyrium SLs in terms of power transfer and stuff like that. But also something a bit aero if that was possible. Also, since I seem to be a bit vain....something purty too.

I went out for a bit from work (I escaped for a bit don't tell my boss ) and went to gotham bikes for a look see. I got to hold a kysyrium SL and was impressed by it. And that damn ES version is way overpriced!
But besides performance I like looks too. Something creative maybe can be suggested in terms of materials and even spoke layout? Dunno. I needs more tutorin by youuus guys.
Old 05-04-06, 01:56 PM
irablumberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shop carefully and you could find a set of Ritchey WCS Protocol wheels.

See review here https://www.bicycling.com/gear/review...1&family_id=61

Ira
Old 05-04-06, 01:59 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Seriously - the ultegra/open pros can look cool. Here's mine:

You can probably get 'em for under $300 and get yourself some kewl pedals or something to boot.
cool rims. But I would probably get some flat bladed spokes if I had a choice. And I got speedplay zero stainless pedals (blue). Their pretty cool.
Old 05-04-06, 02:12 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yup their very cool. But tell me...I don't know much about campy stuff. Would that wheelset work with my shimano cog/gears N whatnot?

Yes, you can get them Shimano compatible. They have Record-quality hubs and are dynamically balanced.

Old 05-04-06, 02:13 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reynolds Alta (it has white industries hubs too).
Old 05-04-06, 02:13 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reynolds Alta (it has white industries hubs too).
Old 05-04-06, 02:17 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
https://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/wheels.html

neuvation wheels are very good and he has 3 different sets for $400 or less. I just got a set of R28SL2 and I am very happy with them
Old 05-04-06, 02:44 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I would like something that performs better than the ksyrium SLs in terms of power transfer and stuff like that. But also something a bit aero if that was possible. Also, since I seem to be a bit vain....something purty too.

I went out for a bit from work (I escaped for a bit don't tell my boss ) and went to gotham bikes for a look see. I got to hold a kysyrium SL and was impressed by it. And that damn ES version is way overpriced!
But besides performance I like looks too. Something creative maybe can be suggested in terms of materials and even spoke layout? Dunno. I needs more tutorin by youuus guys.
I almost made an all black setup: Ritchey 24/28 black hubs, black spokes, and black Aerohead rims. But I could only find the Ritchey hubs in Shimano and didn't want to pop $100 for a conversion cassette. The velocity rims come in various colors, which looks really cool on the Deep V rim.

As for something REALLY creative, I plan on rebuilding my current wheelset after I build the new set. I plan on taking the Veloce 32h hub and Fir Net97 rims, then rebuilding the rear to have 16 drive side spokes in 3X pattern, with the non drive side only 8 spokes in a 1X pattern (effectively 3X with half of the spokes missing), then doing the front wheel with the same pattern as the rear non drive side. That essentially makes a 24 spoke rear wheel with a strong drive side and a 16 paired spoke front wheel. The rim is sturdy, but I really don't know how well such a build will hold up. So in that light, I don't recommend this since I have no idea how it will work out.

Originally Posted by ravenmore
Trust someone who has tested the limits - a hand built set of 36 hole, 3 cross, Open Pro/Ultegras..... maybe w/DT Revolution spokes for weight savings. I have trashed several sub 500 dollar wheelsets and one almost $1k set.......
I agree with you mostly, but why 3X on a 36h? 4X is the most tengential for 36 spoke. That's what velodrome sprinters use, although it is arguably needlessley strong for the average roadie. That's why I would suggest the same rims and hub but in 32h 3X
Old 05-04-06, 02:48 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
https://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/wheels.html

neuvation wheels are very good and he has 3 different sets for $400 or less. I just got a set of R28SL2 and I am very happy with them
Nice stuff. If I were to buy them I would go with the m28 aeros. But their spokes are stainless steel. How do they compare with the kysyrium SLs being aluminum?
Old 05-04-06, 02:48 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
Velomax Circuit Comps aka Easton Circuits. Bulletproof, light, I've had them 4K miles and never needed truing. Half that mileage includes the best NYC streets could offer...
absolutely. best bang for the buck you can get, and you can usually find them on sale for much less than the $500 retail price.
Old 05-04-06, 02:49 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bladed spokes are heavy and kitey in a crosswind. If you use a normal amount of 'em you end up with a heavy windsail of a wheel. If you use less you mitigate that effect somewhat but you have to put them under a lot of tension. If they break the wheel usually goes waaay out of true and is unrideable.

I liked my Nuevations a lot, but I've destroyed 2 sets of them. They are good wheels though, very stiff and strong, and most other folks don't have issues that I have had. I chew up wheels more than most people do, that's why I'm sticking with open pro/ultegras. They perform well, are relatively inexpensive, and easy to repair. Mine are also 1800 grams on the dot, which is probably what most sub $500 wheels will weigh.
Old 05-04-06, 02:50 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
easton circuits for $399:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5320

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.