Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

when korsos go BOOM.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

when korsos go BOOM.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 10:27 PM
bayareawheeler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when korsos go BOOM.

Well not quite BOOM more like a TWANG...the wheels I was so proud of for snatching up at 89.00 just threw a spoke tonight on the commute home. heard this and actually saw as i was looking down at the time of failure - bike shifted and i could see the wheel wobbling. Id guesstimate (no puter on the commuter) the wheels had between 800-1000 miles, they stayed true to the end heh...o well

upon closer inspection the small hole where the spoke is attached to the hub cracked at one of the spokes. TIme to hit up craigslist or find the next deal...hint hint any deals?

next!

OH AND HUGE PROPS TO MY WIFE FOR RESUING MY SPANDEX CLAD ASS FROM THE STREETS OF NEWARK - this is the second emergency pickup and she has been awesome thus far
Old 05-04-06, 10:45 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got about 5 twangs out of my performance titans before kicking their sorry assses to the curb and swearing off traditional j-bend spokes forever. that was about two years ago with almost all miles since then logged on a set of easton circuits. i haven't had a single broken spoke since.
Old 05-04-06, 10:49 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance will honor the warranty on supergo stuff... get it replaced!
Old 05-05-06, 04:13 AM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Performance will honor the warranty on supergo stuff... get it replaced!
+1
Old 05-05-06, 04:21 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have balls to ride these wheels. Personally I would only trust them after careful fine tuning on my truing stand with my tensiometer. Even then.........
Old 05-05-06, 05:33 AM
rruff

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dog hair
i got about 5 twangs out of my performance titans before kicking their sorry assses to the curb and swearing off traditional j-bend spokes forever. that was about two years ago with almost all miles since then logged on a set of easton circuits. i haven't had a single broken spoke since.
If the wheel is well designed and built the J is not a problem. Those wheels (like many others) have too few spokes for the stiffness of the rim, and spokes that are too thick (stiff).
Old 05-05-06, 05:43 AM
psuaero
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2050 miles on mine since last August. They are still as true as the day I got them. I weighed between 180 and 162 lbs. while riding those miles. I think they're doing pretty well considering how bad the roads and bike paths are in this area. I ride them pretty hard too.

Do you weigh more than 200 lbs.? 800 doesn't seem like a lot. I'd give Performance a call and see if they'll replace them. It's worth a shot.
Old 05-05-06, 08:37 AM
bayareawheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope im 180 and dropping. Ill give Performance a call and see what they say.
Old 05-05-06, 08:56 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rruff
If the wheel is well designed and built the J is not a problem. Those wheels (like many others) have too few spokes for the stiffness of the rim, and spokes that are too thick (stiff).
i should have added that i never had a single problem with my neuvations. still, that's not enough for me to go back to regular spokes. i've had way too much success with alternatives.
Old 05-05-06, 09:53 AM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you get what you pay for
Old 05-05-06, 10:03 AM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
++++ to the performance return idea....

and does your wife have a sister?
Old 05-05-06, 10:04 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpico
you get what you pay for
Agreed. But would the spoke have broken if he had paid twice the amount?
Old 05-05-06, 10:14 AM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Agreed. But would the spoke have broken if he had paid twice the amount?
?

the same product is the same product no matter how much he pays--but why would someone think a wheelset this cheap is going to be made of durable materials and quality workmanship

I like a good deal as much as the next person--but no name + super cheap should raise some flags

I like shopping at shop n' save (grocery store) because they have the same brands for cheaper than other stores, but I won't shop at Aldi's because they have goofy brands that no one has ever heard of--same concept

cheap + no name = gamble

discounted/sale + products with good track history = deal
Old 05-05-06, 10:17 AM
Mach42

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think that they'll last for me? I'm a 130 pounder. It seems like I'd put a lot less stress into these things.
Old 05-05-06, 11:14 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpico
(A) cheap + no name = gamble
(B) discounted/sale + products with good track history = deal
For every 1 person who thinks the Korso's belong in category A, I can find you an equal or greater number of people who feel they belong in B - regardless of what they paid.

Even Toyotas and Hondas break down once in awhile.

55/Rad
Old 05-05-06, 11:20 AM
psuaero
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
For every 1 person who thinks the Korso's belong in category A, I can find you an equal or greater number of people who feel they belong in B - regardless of what they paid.

Even Toyotas and Hondas break down once in awhile.

55/Rad
I'm with RAD on this one. Were they cheap at $89, sure. I say it just makes them a better deal. If they are just rebadged then they'll have the same quality and track record as the ones with the other stickers that cost $299. They were on my bike when I bought them but I wasn't in a huge hurry to replace them. Later this summer I may pick up another set of wheels that will likely be in the 1450-1500g range just to see if I can tell a big difference. They'll probably cost me around $500 so I'd better see a difference for over 5x the cost as the Korso's.
Old 05-05-06, 11:38 AM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know those wheels. My brother, future brother in law, and father in law have-em. I have the titans. All of them have held up well. No spoke killers yet and the riders are from 160-190 lbs.

I used the titans for a full year with no problem and had them re-greased for good measure. So I have /like them.

The LBS/Performance guys are cool-- even if their company has dropped the ball as of late—and they say that bad wheels come in batches. They say that they sale and from time to time the spokes pop on several wheels at a time. They all believe that it is a quality control issue.

These wheels do go pop but they replace em.
Old 05-05-06, 11:45 AM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggg300

These wheels do go pop but they replace em.
well they won't "go pop" in a vacuum--does Performance cover the damage to the rest of the bike and/or medical bills

would you feel safe on a descent, knowing they might "go pop"

getting a refund for 80$ would be the least of my concerns in that situation
Old 05-05-06, 12:24 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stretch.

have you ever had an entire wheel "go pop" on a descent? not me. but i've had a spoke go on the titans on several occasions - twice on descents - and the rest of the wheel never followed.
Old 05-05-06, 05:59 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
stretch.

have you ever had an entire wheel "go pop" on a descent? not me. but i've had a spoke go on the titans on several occasions - twice on descents - and the rest of the wheel never followed.
ya....that is how the LBS guys say it goes. The spoke pops, the wheel is off, and then you will get rub... ^^^ ....any down hill run at top speed has a risk....A flat on a down hill is more hair-e IMHO and I have had a few of those.

The sets I have don't have issues. If I got a set that did then I would think that it was one of ones from the bad batch and toss the things or put em on the trainer...