Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2007 Centaur

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2007 Centaur

Old 05-06-06, 06:19 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 Centaur

I was just reading up on the Campyonly site that this group will be getting the Chorus 2006 shifters and the CF crank.

pretty cool.
Old 05-06-06, 06:58 PM
MattC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to order a full Chorus kit for my Litespeed frame but am waiting a bit to see if any thing cool is coming out. If this is true I am glad that I have waited.
Old 05-06-06, 10:37 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.campyonly.com/rumors.html

Looks like Record and other shifters will have a shorter throw shifting mechanism also. Apparently needing only 1/3 the distance.
Old 05-07-06, 02:31 AM
f.gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Centaur will get an Ergopower which looks like the Chorus one, but only allows upshifts one by one, and the left one is indexed, no multiclick adjusting. It will also get a carbon outer plate in the RD. No CF crank though. But the 2007 alu crank is Ultra-Torque, which is the new generation of campy cranks with integrated bb.
Old 05-07-06, 02:36 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f.gump
The Centaur will get an Ergopower which looks like the Chorus one, but only allows upshifts one by one, and the left one is indexed, no multiclick adjusting. It will also get a carbon outer plate in the RD. No CF crank though. But the 2007 alu crank is Ultra-Torque, which is the new generation of campy cranks with integrated bb.
So it doesn't have the chorus ball bearings in it? If its just a regular veloce lever with a stupid little carbon fiber lever I will not be impressed.

The ultra torque sounds cool though. I never liked CF cranks anyway.
Old 05-07-06, 03:57 AM
f.gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, it's not a Veloce lever, it is a Chorus lever sans the ball bearings and with an entirely different mechanism inside, plus the CF brake lever and composite (plastic) shift lever; it will loose 70g though. Looks are like the Chorus/Record levers.
The new bb is the real advantage, a true step ahead of the old square axle.
Old 05-07-06, 03:59 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
I am riding a Daytona/Centaur on my old 1995 Waterford. I chose it because it was the only high quality group Campy made in all aluminum. I wanted a Non carbon group on the bike. Nothing wrong with carbon. I just prefer the look of polished aluminum.

Centaur is a bizare offering in Campy's lineup. Chorus and Record are almost identical. Usually Chorus is last years Record. Centaur is a Veloce/Chorus hybrid. It is considered the last of the high end group line. Yet it is basically Veloce with a nice finish and some Chorus engineered parts.

Tim
Old 05-07-06, 04:48 AM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 06 Veloce on my OLMO, and I haven't had a problem with it..... I doubt I would go to Centaur just becuase the difference is soo minute. Now Chourus on the other hand, I will eventually upgrade to.

"Some rumors tell that only RECORD and CHORUS shifters will still keep the current downshift thump button to drop as many gears as wanted. The others groups will only be able to drop one gear... "

That would really suck if only record, and chorus kept the thumb shifter to drop multiple gears! I love that feature about Campy, and is one of the main reasons I went Campy over Shimano!
Old 05-07-06, 05:43 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I am riding a Daytona/Centaur on my old 1995 Waterford. I chose it because it was the only high quality group Campy made in all aluminum. I wanted a Non carbon group on the bike. Nothing wrong with carbon. I just prefer the look of polished aluminum.

Centaur is a bizare offering in Campy's lineup. Chorus and Record are almost identical. Usually Chorus is last years Record. Centaur is a Veloce/Chorus hybrid. It is considered the last of the high end group line. Yet it is basically Veloce with a nice finish and some Chorus engineered parts.

Tim
I agree. In essence the only difference between 2006 Centaur and 2006 Veloce is a slightly better rear derailleur. (hubs are better too but this is not an issue for those running aftermarket wheels)

Chorus is the real jump upwards from veloce.....not centaur.
Old 05-07-06, 05:48 AM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any idea when the 2007 Campy line is coming out? Is it like automobile model years, where it shows up in the fall of the previous year?
Old 05-07-06, 08:27 AM
mellowdave
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the short throw thing comes to fruition, I will almost assuredly upgrade. I am loving that idea...
Old 05-07-06, 05:30 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mellowdave
if the short throw thing comes to fruition, I will almost assuredly upgrade. I am loving that idea...
Seriously, I like the idea of these new short throw shifters muself. This sounds like a serious upgrade more so than the BB.
Old 05-07-06, 05:49 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it sucks that they're ditching the multi gear throw and front dr trim options. i also read the thumb shifters are getting clipped on the low-mid range stuff too. all these things are part of what sold me on campy (centaur). looks like it's gonna be only chorus and record from here.
Old 05-07-06, 06:17 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I chose it because it was the only high quality group Campy made in all aluminum. I wanted a Non carbon group on the bike. Nothing wrong with carbon. I just prefer the look of polished aluminum.
+1.

I'm considering a Cinelli Super Corsa, Heron Road, or Mercian Audax build with Centaur. I really don't want carbon fiber and the weight of the Veloce makes it less than desirable...
Old 05-07-06, 06:58 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14max
+1.

I'm considering a Cinelli Super Corsa, Heron Road, or Mercian Audax build with Centaur. I really don't want carbon fiber and the weight of the Veloce makes it less than desirable...
I have to admit the CF stuff does not appeal to me. Its one of those "all show" type things that doesn't seem to improve anything and in some cases makes it worse. For example FSA has reportedly had problems with their K force cranks aluminum spider delaminating from the ******** bling CF arms (that also flex more than hollow aluminum).

I'm sure the campagnolo CF cranks are better than FSA stuff though.
Old 05-07-06, 07:32 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
For example FSA has reportedly had problems with their K force cranks aluminum spider delaminating from the ******** bling CF arms (that also flex more than hollow aluminum).
Good example. I just don't see the point (other than weight) of CF in these applications. I'm really leaning toward '06 Centaur because I don't want the higher weight of Veloce and the CF in Chorus. So, while Centaur may be a bit of an oddly placed group it seems to fit my needs...
Old 05-07-06, 07:41 PM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surferbruce
it sucks that they're ditching the multi gear throw and front dr trim options. i also read the thumb shifters are getting clipped on the low-mid range stuff too. all these things are part of what sold me on campy (centaur). looks like it's gonna be only chorus and record from here.

Same here! These are some of the things that make Campy soo much better then Shimano..... ohh well.... gives us a reason to upgrade!
Old 05-07-06, 07:50 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Surferbruce
screw that, might as well buy SRAM then. I love the multi gear throw and front dr trim options.
I just replaced my Centaur shifters with Chorus, I'll give them up when they're pryed from my cold dead hands.