Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wow! Looks like 2007 Centaur is going to kick some A$$!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 05:53 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.campyonly.com/rumors/2006/2007_gruppos.html

Centaur now seems truly legit (instead of being a Veloce knockoff).

Forgive me if this is old news, but since most of you guys are behind the times with technology and most things cycling related I figured I'd post it
Old 08-03-06, 06:04 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what ever happened to the LOOK and Six13 frames you were building up?
Old 08-03-06, 07:00 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the carbon brifters on my Chorus and Record bikes. However, I have to admit, for durability and asthetics, I wish they would keep an alloy option for Centaur. I suppose you could use a year old model? Assuming the shifting is the same in the new line.

I have a silver Veloce group on my commuter, and have to admit, I like the alloy for it's longevity, durability, and good looks. Sure, they're heavier, but they are very beefy and reliable brifters.
Old 08-03-06, 07:13 PM
Blastinbob
Mufflerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be the first on the block with 2007 Record, there was a Chorus groupo on ebay also but it sold. https://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Recor...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-03-06, 08:36 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
what ever happened to the LOOK and Six13 frames you were building up?
I'm on a CAAD 4 with 105. Nice bike though I can't complain.

This Centaur kit looks pretty nice and maybe for a new build I will use it. The rear derailleur is supposed to be like 2006 spec chorus

Nor sure what frame, but it won't be anything too fancy (at least compared to the stuff people roll with in this forum). I actually like aluminum believe it or not.
Old 08-03-06, 09:08 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Looks like I bought the last edition of the Aluminum Record crank. And the last non-skeleton Centaur brakes. Just the way I wanted it.
Old 08-03-06, 09:12 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Looks like I bought the last edition of the Aluminum Record crank. And the last non-skeleton Centaur brakes. Just the way I wanted it.
i got the last mint shake of the year at ruby's the other day. pretty stoked about that one.
Old 08-03-06, 09:14 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
i got the last mint shake of the year at ruby's the other day. pretty stoked about that one.
congrats man
Old 08-03-06, 10:09 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Bikes: Torelli 20th Anniversary, Trek 2000, Kona NuNu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'cept 2007 centaur loses the multiple down shifts...which in my opinion is just about the best feature campy has.
Old 08-03-06, 10:19 PM
mpearson76

Bikes: Klein q-pro carbon, Record, Ksyrium SSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way Campy typically operates I bet that this year's Veloce is last year's Centaur (more or less). That is just speculation, but I bet that there's no need to buy last year's Centaur, unless you don't like the changes that filter throughout the line, like the new cranks/bb.
Old 08-04-06, 01:46 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpearson76
The way Campy typically operates I bet that this year's Veloce is last year's Centaur (more or less). That is just speculation, but I bet that there's no need to buy last year's Centaur, unless you don't like the changes that filter throughout the line, like the new cranks/bb.
Well the Veloce gets all the new touches too doesn't it. Like the crank and hollowed brakes.

I bet it has a 2006 centaur rear derailleur too?

Actually this 2007 veloce might rate highly too. I'll have to check prices.

But most importantly I think this 2007 stuff closes the gap Shimano had with all there 10 speed groups. Campy fans non-wothstanding I think this stuff is probably on equal footing now plus you get those campy specific advantages along with it.
Old 08-04-06, 03:25 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
Well the Veloce gets all the new touches too doesn't it. Like the crank and hollowed brakes.

I bet it has a 2006 centaur rear derailleur too?

Actually this 2007 veloce might rate highly too. I'll have to check prices.

But most importantly I think this 2007 stuff closes the gap Shimano had with all there 10 speed groups. Campy fans non-wothstanding I think this stuff is probably on equal footing now plus you get those campy specific advantages along with it.
The Centaur rear der, alu version, had a forged main body. Shifting was improved over the Daytona and early Centaur version with the die cast main body. Actually, Veloce is looking like a best buy in an all aluminum group. It is cheaper than Ultegra and now has all the features plus some extra, skeletonized brakes.

IMO, Veloce just moved up to Ultegra level for 2007. The weight weenies might complain it's a few ounces heavier, let them. Feature for feature, Veloce now matches Ultegra for a lot less money.

Tim
Old 08-04-06, 05:53 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to see Campy innovating and improving the groups.
Old 08-04-06, 06:45 AM
DRLski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blastinbob
Be the first on the block with 2007 Record, there was a Chorus groupo on ebay also but it sold. https://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Recor...QQcmdZViewItem
if only I had $2300 to spend
Old 08-04-06, 06:48 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technology is a bit of shell game shrouded in marketing. If you track the lineage of gruppos from Campy...which incidentally are my favorite...basically what they do is change the paint jobs and names and each year move each gruppo up a partial or full notch. An example is '07 Centaur is now pretty close to '06 Chorus. The rub is...you can likely find an new '06 Chorus gruppo for less money then a '07 Centaur...and it even may be fractionally better...lol.
George
Old 08-04-06, 06:52 AM
DRLski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker7
Technology is a bit of shell game shrouded in marketing. If you track the lineage of gruppos from Campy...which incidentally are my favorite...basically what they do is change the paint jobs and names and each year move each gruppo up a partial or full notch. An example is '07 Centaur is now pretty close to '06 Chorus. The rub is...you can likely find an new '06 Chorus gruppo for less money then a '07 Centaur...and it even may be fractionally better...lol.
George
then what's the point?
Old 08-04-06, 06:53 AM
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker7
George
Point taken but if you've ridden dark side cranks with outboard bearings, or FSA, then you know they are a lot stiffer, so this argument suffers when you bring up cranks.
Old 08-04-06, 07:03 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by flythebike
Point taken but if you've ridden dark side cranks with outboard bearings, or FSA, then you know they are a lot stiffer, so this argument suffers when you bring up cranks.
Not to mention that they have changed the shifting so that it is faster and the brakes Veloce and above are also the new design and now all differential (single pivot rear which had only been in the Chorus and Record).

I am really interested in the cranks...I am going to stick with my 2006 Record shifters, derailleurs and brakes but I would like to dump my FSA crank in favor of the new Record.
Old 08-04-06, 07:15 AM
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I am really interested in the cranks...I am going to stick with my 2006 Record shifters, derailleurs and brakes but I would like to dump my FSA crank in favor of the new Record.
+1

I have a Phil Wood Ti bb/Chorus Carbon crank and would love to change that sucker over to whatever Campy OS bearing crankset I can afford by selling the former. About to avail myself of a cost+10% discount at the LBS, so hoping that turns out to be Record .
Old 08-04-06, 07:18 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by flythebike
+1

I have a Phil Wood Ti bb/Chorus Carbon crank and would love to change that sucker over to whatever Campy OS bearing crankset I can afford by selling the former. About to avail myself of a cost+10% discount at the LBS, so hoping that turns out to be Record .
Yea I actually keep going back and forth thinking the current Record Carbon might be just fine if the price comes way down.
Old 08-04-06, 07:28 AM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest deal to me is that "The left ErgoPower shifter will be QS (QuickShift) cutting the movement of the change lever in half."

The loooong swing to shift from the small to large chainring has been my only complaint about Campy's shifters.
Old 08-04-06, 07:36 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Olebiker
The biggest deal to me is that "The left ErgoPower shifter will be QS (QuickShift) cutting the movement of the change lever in half."

The loooong swing to shift from the small to large chainring has been my only complaint about Campy's shifters.
Anyone know if this will be upgradeable in older Ergo levers, like the ability to go from 8-9-10 speeds?
I'm ready to buy a Chorus group - but don't want to wait. This would be a reason to.
Old 08-04-06, 09:20 AM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
Anyone know if this will be upgradeable in older Ergo levers, like the ability to go from 8-9-10 speeds?
I'm ready to buy a Chorus group - but don't want to wait. This would be a reason to.
If you're ready to buy, get it from www.rullobike.com. They are in Italy and have all the new groups ready to go. Their prices are outstanding. I'm gonna pick up some of the Record Shifters and a new FD soon.
Old 08-04-06, 09:29 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by briscoelab
If you're ready to buy, get it from www.rullobike.com. They are in Italy and have all the new groups ready to go. Their prices are outstanding. I'm gonna pick up some of the Record Shifters and a new FD soon.
You had to post that didn't you? Must resist....
Old 08-04-06, 09:47 AM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
You had to post that didn't you? Must resist....
That's what I'm here for chopper

Besides, this is the crank you REALLY want ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.