Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Feedback on this bike

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Feedback on this bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 02:08 PM
mrmcmasty

Bikes: You need a bike?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback on this bike

I found a bike at one of the local shops. This would be my first bike.

Specialized, allez triple, I think it is an 07.

I am 5 8, 170 - the bike is a 54cm.

They are asking 750.00

What does anyone think of this bike at this price?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-03-08, 02:10 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I love mine!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-03-08, 02:12 PM
mrmcmasty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah it looks like that, just a different color. Is the price in the ballpark for a used bike?
Old 07-03-08, 02:20 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

A tad high for a used bike, since new isn't much more ($850 range, stock). I have a bit more than the list in mine, since I upgraded the wheels for a Clyde to Velocity Deep V's and added aerobars and clipless pedals. It's a scary fast bike though and very twitchily responsive. It rides like a Ferrari to me, especially compared to my touring bike.

Old 07-03-08, 05:02 PM
mrmcmasty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so i called the guy at lbs and kinda prodded about the price being a bit high for the allez triple... he counters that it is actually an "Allez expert triple" and that the tires/wheels, handle bars and rear sprocket set were upgraded...

When I look more carefully the only difference I can see is that the frame of the bike has a slight indentation where the rear wheel meets the frame.

Would this change the value of the bike? Is it worth the 750.00 if it is an expert triple?

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 07-03-08, 06:11 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

If it's the expert, it may well be worth it. Better group and hubs than the Triple standard. Mine started life as a Standard, but was upgraded to somewhat better than the expert. All I can say is ride it and if you feel it's worth the money, grab it. I know I've been very happy with my Allez. The price isn't that terrible.

Old 07-03-08, 07:28 PM
Raerfani
Obsessed

Bikes: 08 Giant OCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't back down man. The strategy that worked for me is even though I was in love with this bike tell the salesman/woman that I'll buy this $700 today without a doubt but at the same time imply that will take your business elsewhere. Saying things like unfortunately I have to stay below $700 helps too.
Old 07-06-08, 05:11 PM
mrmcmasty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so whats the difference in components, tiagra, eltegra etc...?
Old 07-06-08, 11:19 PM
Rahzel

Bikes: Trek 1500 road bike, Giant Trinity Alliance tri bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In order of best to worst (Shimano):

Dura-Ace
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora

After you get the frame that fits you, generally speaking you want the nicest components you can afford. However, in triathlon, there are generally better things to spend your money on.
Old 07-07-08, 11:00 AM
mrmcmasty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok so the guy at the lbs says the bike Im looking at has ultegra components... I have down to $700.00 and they are offering to do my cable work for the first year at no additional cost.

The bike again is specialized, allez, expert triple. Looks like I can get the bike for 700.00 and will need a helmet and pedals/shoes.

What does anyone think about the price. I am going to go ride it today after work... but i know nothing and dont want to get taken by a "salesman"
Old 07-07-08, 06:07 PM
The_Spaniard

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would say to take it. Some good components if it is full ultegra.
Old 07-07-08, 08:53 PM
haenous
Everybody relax, I'm here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is a good price for that bike if it is all ultegra...they should also fit you on the bike... If they are above board, they should be more concerned about getting you fit right than you are. Look around the shop and see if they have been fit certified by specialized...they usually have certificates hanging on the walls..
Old 07-08-08, 12:07 PM
mrmcmasty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so I bought the bike. I got the guy down to $700.00 but he got me to buy padded shorts, shoes and pedal, and a set of new tubed (in case I pop them) so I guess I got to feel good he came off the price $50.00 and he got about $175 additional out of me (hmmmmm, I think he won that one).

As for fit. They measured me, made some minor adjustment (appears the previous owner and I are about the same in leg length). I rode it for about a half hour, seems to fit well (but I have nothing to compare it to... this is my first road bike).

For the record I have to say this. Road bikes are F'n fast! Skinny tires are bumpy. Getting ones feet out of pedals is tricky getting them in while pedaling is trickier and being able to do all of this without falling... priceless.

Thanks for all the advice it was nice to have some objective opinions to refer to.

Thanks again!

Mark
Old 07-11-08, 01:48 PM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I think it was a really good deal. Plus, your ass and balls will thank you for spending the money on the padded shorts. Your legs will appreciate the pedals (especially on hills) and it's always good to have en extra set of tubes.
Also, someone above said there are better things to spend $ on that better comments (for a Tri) but I disagree. Try riding a bike with lesser components and see how often you need to adjust them or take it in for an adjustment. Ultegra is pretty much maintence free and will make your ride a much better experience. I think you got a great deal for that price!
Old 07-12-08, 11:56 AM
ir0nfist
gnilcyc

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with dave, those components are great. You are verly lucky to have found this site before buying a bike. You could have easily ended up like me and bought something before you realized how fun cycling is and got something inadequate. (like my Giant FCR3) I am now looking to upgrade.

My first triathlon is tomorrow, if all goes well I will be looking for one or two more sprints this summer and a new bike!

BTW, the padded cycling shorts are a must. Try not to tip over while getting used to those pedals, hah, it happened to me on my first ride home. The embarrassment keeps you from making that mistake again.
Old 07-12-08, 02:05 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good deal on a nice bike!....now all you need to do is just get out and ride!!