Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

1969 50 years ago

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

1969 50 years ago

Old 07-20-19, 07:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj06C0GzgHs

I've always liked Tom Wolfe's account in film: "The Right Stuff". Though I'm one of Wolfe's readers I'm afraid I haven't read this one.
Make haste and read it, I liked it best of all the Tom Wolfe books I have read. As good as the movie was, it is no match for the book.
Old 07-20-19, 08:10 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Getting ready to walk on the moon. 50 years ago. Mission time 108:33:00.

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

Yes I saw this posted above, this is just one of the good parts. The replay of the landing was incredible.
Old 07-20-19, 09:59 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I believe even the still photograph cameras were custom... and let's not forget the space pen. "writes at any angle..."
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Just like the Russian low tech 2 Ruble/10˘ space pencil.
Both the US and Russia used pencils on early flights. The debris from the pencils was of concern so they both changed to pens. The pens were one of the only items that both programs used that was the same: a Fischer AG-7 "Space Pen" REF: Scientific American

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Only B/W was broadcast due to the bandwidth and power available. It was known as a "slow scan" signal. Consider the transmitter power available from the LEM and the distance the signal had to go. And bear in mind that electronics at that time was quite crude compared to your smartphone of today. The signal was then converted to a standard broadcast TV scan signal. The conversion also added "noise." That "conversion," may indeed have been a standard TV camera looking at the received signal on a NASA monitor. That arguably would be the easiest way to do it.

This was all "pre-microprocessor," the first microprocessor came out in 1971, as a 4 bit 4004 chip. Everything done for Apollo was based on individual IC gates... the "computer" that kept sending alarms during the luner descent was about the equivalent of a hand held calculator.

50 years ago. Think about that. Most home TVs used vacuum tubes at that point. My family only had a B&W TV.
If you haven't looked at the restored videos of the Apollo 11 moonwalks do yourself a favor and go to NASA's website and view them. The restored videos use some of the footage found in Australia of the original downlink. The quality is so much better, much better than I remember seeing when they broadcast it live.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-20-19, 10:02 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
Hmm, that wasn't the clip I thought it was going to be. There was one online this morning that featured the son of one of the engineers who was small enough to grease up a bad bearing allowing the equipment to work then. And now I can't find it, do you know more about what I remember seeing this morning?
How A 10-Year-Old-Boy Helped Apollo 11 Return To Earth
Old 07-21-19, 03:06 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Make haste and read it, I liked it best of all the Tom Wolfe books I have read. As good as the movie was, it is no match for the book.
Well I might just do that. I've still got unread novels sitting on the shelf laughing at me but I've always tended to read more history though selectively. And it's Tom Wolfe.
Old 07-21-19, 04:02 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 07-21-19, 04:29 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
As I recall, the actual portion of Armstrong setting foot on the moon would have been in black and white even on a color TV. It was broadcast in black in white for a variety of reasons.
I always wonder why the cameraman who stood next to the space capsule and filmed Armstrong's foot setting foot on the moon never got any credit. I guess they left him behind so he could film the spacecraft heading back to earth.

Old 07-21-19, 04:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
I always wonder why the cameraman who stood next to the space capsule and filmed Armstrong's foot setting foot on the moon never got any credit. I guess they left him behind so he could film the spacecraft heading back to earth.
I once posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
So, @rumrunn6 , who takes these photos, both at a distance and close-up?

I’m reminded of a long-ago MAD Magazine feature about a poor, unrecognized photographer who had to schlep his heavy equipment around and get to a destination before his subject in order to capture the moment of success.

For example, that photographer had to get to the top of the Mountain first, in order to shoot the celebrated Mountain Climber making the first successful ascent.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 07-21-19, 06:00 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6796 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 116 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQfauGJaTs
Gosh, 50 years later, I wonder how he's doing... ya think he went from landing mission to landing mission and drank all the Tang and ate all the energy bars?

I wonder if NASA still pays him?
Old 07-21-19, 06:14 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 278 Posts
Scientists say that there is plenty of of Cream Cheese on the moon, though I'm sure that gets old after a while, without any lox or bagels.

Old 07-21-19, 06:47 AM
genec
genec

Scientists say that there is plenty of of Cream Cheese on the moon, though I'm sure that gets old after a while, without any lox or bagels.

Of course, I forgot about the cheese... well that TV cameraman is probably doing fine... just old and graybearded now.
Old 07-21-19, 06:59 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
I once posted:
Thinking like that spoils most of what's on Discovery and NGC.
Old 07-21-19, 02:31 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 87 Posts
That's what I meant, thanks. @genec, were you thinking of the movie Apollo? I haven't seen it but love the soundtrack.
Old 07-21-19, 02:46 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Just curious, but with all the hoopla about the 50th anniversary, wow was here to see it , one of the photos I saw today was of the recovered astronauts waving to the press from quarantine inside what appears to be an Airstream on the USS Hornet. I wonder what became of that Airstream?

The USS Hornet is now a museum in Alameda, they have some neat Apollo 11 exhibits. They have another version of the same Airstream, and a mock-up of the capsule.
https://www.uss-hornet.org/visit-hor...anent-exhibits

A Mobile Quarantine Facility from Apollo 14

This Airstream trailer is called a Mobile Quarantine Facility (MQF). MQF trailers were built by NASA to be used for Apollo missions 11, 12, 13, and 14. The astronauts of Apollo 11 were the first people to set foot on the Moon and scientists worried they might return with an infection that could harm Earth’s inhabitants or ecosystem. NASA decided to quarantine the astronauts, equipment, and lunar samples returning from the Moon’s surfact for a period of 21 days. NASA planned to quarantine the first four lunar missions–Apollo 11, 12,13, and 14–to determine if Moon germs existed. The astronauts had to leave the recovery helicopter after splashdown and immediately enter the MQF. They were then closed in the MQF along with a flight surgeon.

This MQF is serial number 004. It was the prototype model and eventually used to house the crew of Apollo 14. Astronauts Alan Shepard, Edgar Mitchell, and Stuart Roosa, along with a flight surgeon and a vehicle technician, lived inside this MQF from February 9-12, 1971. Apollo 14 was the last flight to be subjected to quarantine procedures.
Old 07-21-19, 05:11 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-22-19, 04:01 AM
genec
genec

It was the prototype model and eventually used to house the crew of Apollo 14. Astronauts Alan Shepard, Edgar Mitchell, and Stuart Roosa, along with a flight surgeon and a vehicle technician, lived inside this MQF from February 9-12, 1971. Apollo 14 was the last flight to be subjected to quarantine procedures.
Can you imagine being the heretofore unmentioned "vehicle technician..." and noticing that your "passengers" were suddenly getting sick...
Old 07-22-19, 10:43 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
This is a fantastic article about computer problems that almost (and maybe should have) aborted the moon landing

https://www.wired.com/story/apollo-1...ut-of-control/
Old 07-22-19, 09:48 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
This is a fantastic article about computer problems that almost (and maybe should have) aborted the moon landing

https://www.wired.com/story/apollo-1...ut-of-control/
Reminds me of learning to write Assembly code, back in college, with a hex keypad, and a bank of LEDs for a display... but then again, I wasn't decending onto a hostile airless rock.

I only had to deal with co-eds, after class.
Old 07-23-19, 10:03 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I missed out on punch cards by a few years I think. I started programming in basic on a commodore 64 in the mid 80s, pascal on an Apple IIe in high school, C in college, C++ in grad school, then adding Perl, Java, Python. Started as a CS major, then switched to Applied Math/Eng, and I am just now realizing I never owned a personal computer in college. I guess I must have just always gone to the computer lab full of dumb terminals. Built myself a PC in grad school, although most of the work there was also in the lab full of Sun Solaris machines (that I incompetently administered)
Old 07-25-19, 05:39 AM
genec
genec

I took a programming class in High School... we had punch cards... but more as a demo. We did use punched tape. We didn't actually have a computer... it was in Ohio. We would call the computer, then put the phone on an acoustic modem, then do the programming on a big loud teletype machine. You got a printout and paper punched tape.

If you were smart, you typed out your program first, while making a punch tape, then called the computer, and ran your tape to upload the program, then ran your program. You turned in the teletype printout for grade.

Computer time was limited... it was best to call in at around 7 AM, or you got a busy signal.

Learned Basic, a bit of COBAL, and some FORTRAN this way... but went on to become a hardware engineer... not software.
Old 07-25-19, 03:05 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 48 Posts
I used punch cards in Jr. High (~1973) in my University town. We submitted them to the U for overnight compiling and then would get a computer readout the next day telling us it didn't work and we'd have to do new punch cards. If you were good, you could get a successful run in less than a week.
Old 07-25-19, 04:17 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Remember how you identified the end of your job? I think it was something like a card each with just, /* followed by, /& .... You'd submit your deck and come back the next day after it ran to get your printout on tractor feed paper.
Old 07-25-19, 06:14 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I used punch cards in Jr. High (~1973) in my University town. We submitted them to the U for overnight compiling and then would get a computer readout the next day telling us it didn't work and we'd have to do new punch cards. If you were good, you could get a successful run in less than a week.
Wow, my programming class in High School was 72-73... I guess we just had premium service. Of course, it was just one class full of kids, and we all vied for the same terminal and modem...

It helped that I took a typing class the semester before. (which BTW was full of nice pretty girls... not that it was "motivation" for the class... )
Old 07-25-19, 06:26 PM
no motor?

We used punch cards typed on Teletype machines when I was in college in 1980. My grandfather worked for Teletype from the mid 30's until the late 60's and he was surprised to see the old equipment still in use, even if it wasn't used for it's intended purpose.
Old 07-30-19, 09:02 AM
no motor?

https://www.npr.org/sections/allsong...cordings?sc=tw

Here's your chance to find out what you missed, even if you were there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.