Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

compact cranksets? share your wisdom.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 01:36 PM
tinybiker

Bikes: bridgestone xo-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the love of my life is my 48cm Bridgestone XO-1, which i'm currently in the process of giving a major overhaul. i'm interested in riding a compact crankset, but am having trouble deciding which one i should buy. obviously, the new Shimano R700 is a work of beauty, but it costs near $300. and with everything else i'll be upgrading on my bike, that's just outside my price range.

so: are there any thoughts out there for compact cranksets that are mid-level quality and are under $200? i'm not racing, but i do ride every day, with longer (maybe 50-80 mi) rides on weekends. the other caveat is that i'm a mere 5' tall and am hoping to find something with 165 crank arms. this is not the dealbreaker for me, though, since it seems to majorly limit my options.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 04-20-06, 01:39 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
FSA Gossamer is probably up your alley.

I recently put an FSA compact on, and I absolutely love it. The 50T chainring is a perfect size for me, and I spend MUCH more time in it than I ever did with a 53T ring. The 34T is nice for climbing as well.
Old 04-20-06, 01:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
fsa gossamer mega exo compact. $149 at Performance, although smallest is 170 mm at least through Performance.
Old 04-20-06, 01:42 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently installed an FSA SL-K Compact on my bike after having used a Triple for the last 2 years. I love it.
Old 04-20-06, 01:42 PM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Id spend $30 more than the FSA and look at this:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5122
I had the Forte carbon crank on my last ride and it was a great crank, no complaints.
Old 04-20-06, 02:12 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife owns a bike with a triple, and recently she rode a bike with a compact double. She liked it much, MUCH better than the triple. She always seemed to be able to get to the proper gear without bouncing around on the front chainring as much, and as such her climbing improved greatly.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 04-20-06, 03:15 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
If your XO-1 comes with a 110BCD stock crankset, you're already halfway there. All you need to do is swap chainrings to a smaller set. What kind of cranks do you have on the bike now?
Old 04-20-06, 03:23 PM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iansir
Id spend $30 more than the FSA and look at this:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5122
I had the Forte carbon crank on my last ride and it was a great crank, no complaints.
You'd be spending more than $30, you'd need an Isis bottom bracket to go with.
Old 04-20-06, 03:28 PM
tinybiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i built the bike up from spare parts, so right now i have a super old 165 road crankset on it (stolen off a friend's raleigh). i'm pretty sure it has a 130 BCD, tho, so unfortunately i can't just replace the chainrings. ...but it was a good thought nonetheless.

thanks for everyone else's comments. sounds like FSA is a winner. ... am i going to have an issue, though, because the bike was originally built for 26" wheels? i'm worried about finding a BB that will allow enough clearance between the chainrings and BB spindle.
Old 04-20-06, 03:53 PM
WorldWind
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my road bike I run a 39-53 crankset and a 11-20 straight-block in the back. Even so comming down Highway 9 from Skyline I find my self compleetly spun out some of the time. Their is no way I would ever loose that big ring. (LOL, for thoes of you that know that decent.)
Old 04-20-06, 03:59 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Google is our friend: ("compact crankset 165")

https://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/...5&FROM=froogle
Old 04-20-06, 04:10 PM
tinybiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i googled the same terms and also came across that Stronglight crankset. it was my leading option up until posting on here b/c of the price and fact that it comes in 165mm. however, i'm hesitant to order from a distributor all the way in France (mondo shipping costs? will i have to wait a million years before it gets here? this is all if they even have it in stock).

does anyone know about this crankset? or any thoughts about Stronglight cranksets in general? i've heard that the chainrings wear out fast but the cranks themselves are good.
Old 04-20-06, 04:18 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldWind
On my road bike I run a 39-53 crankset and a 11-20 straight-block in the back. Even so comming down Highway 9 from Skyline I find my self compleetly spun out some of the time. Their is no way I would ever loose that big ring. (LOL, for thoes of you that know that decent.)
Well, some of us, including myself, have a hard time pushing a 53 ring even on descents....
Old 04-20-06, 04:23 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with an 11 cog, I like a compact with a 48 ring...this way I can stay in the 48 ring most of the time and shift the rear.
Old 04-20-06, 04:36 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
FSA Gossamer is probably up your alley.

I recently put an FSA compact on, and I absolutely love it. The 50T chainring is a perfect size for me, and I spend MUCH more time in it than I ever did with a 53T ring. The 34T is nice for climbing as well.

agree....
Old 04-20-06, 04:36 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=ggg300]agreeQUOTE]
Old 04-20-06, 04:38 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tinybiker
i googled the same terms and also came across that Stronglight crankset. it was my leading option up until posting on here b/c of the price and fact that it comes in 165mm. however, i'm hesitant to order from a distributor all the way in France (mondo shipping costs? will i have to wait a million years before it gets here? this is all if they even have it in stock).

does anyone know about this crankset? or any thoughts about Stronglight cranksets in general? i've heard that the chainrings wear out fast but the cranks themselves are good.

good cranks.... try qbike
Old 04-20-06, 04:40 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I'm putting a compact on my new build. It just seems like the perfect compromise between hill climbing (or lack of ability) and high gears (which I never use). Why do I need a 53/11? I can barely push it going downhill.
Old 04-20-06, 04:44 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good cranks.... try qbike
Old 04-20-06, 04:57 PM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
however, i'm hesitant to order from a distributor all the way in France (mondo shipping costs? will i have to wait a million years before it gets here? this is all if they even have it in stock).
53-11 has purchased from them (xxx cycles in France) and had no issues.
Old 04-20-06, 05:30 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
53-11 has purchased from them (xxx cycles in France) and had no issues.
I've been thinking of getting something from them, their shipping prices seem very reasonable.
Old 04-20-06, 06:08 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've actually been thinking of ditching my compact that came with the bike - too limited on the high end.
Old 04-20-06, 07:06 PM
ekimyel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the love of my life is my 48cm Bridgestone XO-1, which i'm currently in the process of giving a major overhaul. i'm interested in riding a compact crankset, but am having trouble deciding which one i should buy. obviously, the new Shimano R700 is a work of beauty, but it costs near $300. and with everything else i'll be upgrading on my bike, that's just outside my price range.

so: are there any thoughts out there for compact cranksets that are mid-level quality and are under $200? i'm not racing, but i do ride every day, with longer (maybe 50-80 mi) rides on weekends. the other caveat is that i'm a mere 5' tall and am hoping to find something with 165 crank arms. this is not the dealbreaker for me, though, since it seems to majorly limit my options.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I agree with the FSA Gossamer suggestion. I just replaced my triple with the compact FSA Gossamer and love it. Got it at my LBS for $128.00 (https://www.bigbangbikes.com/)
Old 04-20-06, 07:37 PM
uga8589
swamp biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me out. What is the advantage to using a compact crank? Sorry for the stupid comment

2006 Bianchi L'una
Old 04-20-06, 07:57 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
+1 FSA Gossamer

50-34 with 12-25 gives me more high gears than I can use and almost as much as a triple. Big ring for the flats; small ring for the climbs. No complaints. Actually little difference between 53-12 and 50-12(34.5mph vs. 32.6mph or 1.9mph); if you can spin either at 100 rpm, hats off to you.

On the low end, 39-25 vs. 34-25 is 1.6mph at 100rpm for 700 x 23 tires. [12.2 mph vs. 10.6mph]

It's about 1.5gears lower on the low end and a gear lower on the high end. Since I can't spin out the top gear except maybe on some descents where I'm just trying to stay alive, I don't miss anything. And since I'm an old newbie, the extra 1.5 gears on the low end is greatly appreciated.

The Shimano compact is a narrower 50-36; you can also get compact gearing in a 48-34 or 48-36. A straight block with these would give you very fine gearing changes.

Or if you spend your time always on the flats, get a 53-43 double with an 11-23 cassette.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.