Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vintage Bike New Component Upgrade?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-21-09, 09:02 AM
fatmanriding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 1982 Trek 613 with SunTour Components that someone gave me two years ago. I ride it regularly but really enjoy my kids bike with brake lever shifters a lot. I've been looking for a new bike but a mechanic friend of mine suggested I buy brake lever shifters and the related components and update my Trek frame. I've been out of work and without much cash and this seems like a more efficient alternative. I've been shopping Shimano 105 components after reading on the Forums that is where the quality begins without going over the top in price.

What are the thoughts about adding the new parts to the old frame, which is really good shape, and about the 105s as the group to install? Can it be one, and if done correctly, would the results be positive?

FMR
Old 11-21-09, 09:06 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, it can definitely be done with great results, i have a vintage trek with modern sti shifters i use as my road bike, its great.

know that you will most likely need a full groupset, along with new wheels, but with a reasonable mechanical competency, it shouldnt be a problem to tackle.

105 is a great group. IMO, if you're not overly concerned with weight which you shouldnt be for this bike, 105 is the best cost/quality ratio in the shimano line-up.
Old 11-21-09, 09:16 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My training bike is a 93 trek 1100. Originally it had downtube shifters and a triple crank. I re-fit it with 7800 Dura-Ace. the only issue is that the rear derailleur covers up a bit of the dropout so I have to pull the skewer to remove the rear wheel now. Otherwise it feels fairly close to my race bike (2008 Ridley Noah).

PS - I also replaced the quill stem with a Nitto track stem. the original would not give me the riding position that I am used to.
Old 11-21-09, 09:38 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
If you shop carefully, it can be economical. I upgraded my Cyclocross bike to a 105 & Ultegra mix for about $600, including a wheelset with Mavic Open Pro rims.
Old 11-21-09, 10:27 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have the time to shop around, I'd probably shop for Ultegra instead of 105. 105 is great, but I've found Ultegra to be even more smooth, lighter, and very very reliable. I've actually found it to be more reliable than DA over the long run.
Old 11-21-09, 12:16 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not an expert but I would guess that you rear drop outs are not compatible with current 9 / 10 speed 135MM hub width. I'm guessing an '82 frame is either 6 or 7 speed? If it is an aluminum frame don't even try ... http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
Old 11-21-09, 02:25 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grambo View Post
I'm not an expert but I would guess that you rear drop outs are not compatible with current 9 / 10 speed 130MM hub width.
Fixed...
Old 11-21-09, 02:59 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 64 Posts
I did my vintage steel to Campy Centaur/Chorus mix for about $350 (used wheels, used crankset, BB, RD, NOS Chorus Brake calipers, new Centaur 2009 shifters). I just open the dropouts a bit when inserting the wheel ... no bigee.
The cheapest would be to shop on Ebay for a used rear wheel only, rear derail, shifters and crankset & bb and new chain & cassette. You can probably use the same FD (I'm still using my 1970s Nuove Record with10 speed setup). Campy square taper cranksets of a few years ago can be had cheaply (Chorus for $50 the other day)

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-21-09, 03:00 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though not as easy to find used, Ultegra isn't much pricier and is noticeably smoother. 105 is good and I would just as soon buy a new 105 bike depending on other factors. Brifters, used for instance, go for roughly the same, to a lesser extent cranks, ders... etc. are close. For years Ult. compares to D.Ace IMO.
You may luck-out and get a package deal one or the others, wheels too. Many riders do mass up-grades in one fell swoop. Such a deal trumps all.
Old 11-21-09, 03:14 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I'll go against the grain here. You posit that you have no job currently.

Is the bike causing you discomfort? Are your knees hurting because you can't spin high enough?

If it was me, I would work on the engine before throwing the SunTour baby out with the bath-water. Brifters are cool, but at the end of the day they really don't mean much (unless you've got some sort of serious DT aversion, and I'd also point out that braking efficiency is generally compromised with brifters). My friend spent $600 upgrading his old bike with vintage D.A. bling. After getting the project done, it sits as much as it did before he threw cash at it. Wait, you mean with D.A. the bike doesn't go faster? I'll give you that it looks cooler. Its not like he had 2200 on the thing or something either.

I guess what I'm saying is if you love the frame, but feel like the components are hurting you or making you not want to ride it, seems like you should shop around for some reasonably inexpensive upgrades. If you're like me, and come here all the time, getting thoughts in your head about how cool it would be to upgrade your bike, give it a second thought.

Moreover, you'll feel better about yourself when you get a job and can justify throwing money at your bicycle. I spent some cash on my bike with no job, and let me tell you, it wasn't a good feeling.
Old 11-21-09, 03:20 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregon Southpaw View Post
OK, I'll go against the grain here. You posit that you have no job currently.

Is the bike causing you discomfort? Are your knees hurting because you can't spin high enough?

If it was me, I would work on the engine before throwing the SunTour baby out with the bath-water. Brifters are cool, but at the end of the day they really don't mean much (unless you've got some sort of serious DT aversion, and I'd also point out that braking efficiency is generally compromised with brifters). My friend spent $600 upgrading his old bike with vintage D.A. bling. After getting the project done, it sits as much as it did before he threw cash at it. Wait, you mean with D.A. the bike doesn't go faster? I'll give you that it looks cooler. Its not like he had 2200 on the thing or something either.

I guess what I'm saying is if you love the frame, but feel like the components are hurting you or making you not want to ride it, seems like you should shop around for some reasonably inexpensive upgrades. If you're like me, and come here all the time, getting thoughts in your head about how cool it would be to upgrade your bike, give it a second thought.

Moreover, you'll feel better about yourself when you get a job and can justify throwing money at your bicycle. I spent some cash on my bike with no job, and let me tell you, it wasn't a good feeling.
Good points. I was out of work last year and a bike is not where I spent money until I got a new job.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-21-09, 03:48 PM
poptart38247

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Super Sport, 1988 Trek 1500, 1978 Raleigh Competition Gran Sport, 1986? Nishiki Cresta

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't even upgrade it, Suntour parts are like tanks, they will almost never die and outlast anything you can buy today, but if you do upgrade it I would go with 105, Sram Rival, or Veloce/Centaur. Personally I love my old Suntour stuph and have never had a problem, I'd keep it the way it is, and if you want more speeds just get new wheels and say a 8 speed cassette, the DT shifters probably have enough cable pull to do the new 8 speed since it is a smaller distance between the cogs. But hell, that's just my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-09, 03:57 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some thoughts about (and examples of) retrofitting older steel framesets with Ergo or STI shifters are in THIS THREAD.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.