Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

sleepin in tent is oh so hard.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

sleepin in tent is oh so hard.

Old 08-27-11, 11:48 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
glad to hear that ant!
cheers
cheers djb yeah at last a pillow that 's more like a home pillow ,its amazing what a good nights sleep can do for you ,next day i walked 6miles up a bloody mountain but it sure was beautiful .
Old 08-28-11, 07:28 PM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plodderslusk View Post
+1 to an inflatable pillow. Aside from that HTFU.
Or, buy a good camping hammock. I did the HTFU in the Marines. The hammock>HTFU any day of the week that ends in Y......
Old 08-29-11, 03:41 AM
antokelly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
-Not sure if anyone has mention these yet.

I bought a Luxurylite cot a few weeks ago. I used it for a week while family visited, and sleept as good as in my bed. I haven't used it camping yet, but will definitely take it if base camping (car camping). I'm not quite sure if I'll take it cycle touring or not, but likely will.

Expensive? Definitely, but IMO has allready paid for itself in the one week I used it.

Worth it for the OP? I can't say, a lot of factors go into gear choices.

Pillows: I think I recall seeing either a thread here, or on CGOAB reviewing a couple types of the blow-up type pillows. One type had poor reviews, while another type had rave reviews. IIRC the well recieved pillow had a cutout/curverature for your neck, or was shaped just a slight wedge (or both).
this would be fantastic to buy if it weren't for the bulk plus weight.
i normally only use two rear panniers, tent and camping stool live on the rear rack as well so not much room for anything else.and to me it would take to long to set up and dismantle.
but on the positive side it would make a nice comfy bed .
Old 09-05-11, 01:51 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"the guy i tour with is only 30 seconds in his own tent and he's snoring his brains out."

Dump this guy for starters. It 's impossible to sleep if someone beats you to it, and then starts snoring, even if not too loudly.
Old 09-05-11, 02:22 AM
Gotte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD View Post
"the guy i tour with is only 30 seconds in his own tent and he's snoring his brains out."

Dump this guy for starters. It 's impossible to sleep if someone beats you to it, and then starts snoring, even if not too loudly.
MP3 player, I find, drowns out most snoring, even my own
Old 09-05-11, 02:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I might as well toss this in here...

Based on comments in this thread and elsewhere, I bought two Exped 7 mattresses while in Canada, one for me, one for Machka.

Several years ago, I diverted briefly from using Thermarest and knock-off self inflatables to try a standard "Lilo" mattress because of hip issues on the self-inflatables. I found the Lilo pad to be good in solving the hip issue, the comfort level dependent on inflation pressure.

But the problems were the narrowness of that particular mattress, the slipperiness of the material, and the bulk when uninlfated (not hugely different from the standard-sized self-inflatable, but still noticeable).

We haven't used the new Expeds in camp, but my test in our guest bedroom in Canada showed it to be getting to what I wanted. Like others, I am not sure about the built-in pump, but I am also sure we can live with it and maybe rig up something with the tyre pump to avoid moisture-laden breath affecting the down. It seems to be wide enough and the big bonus is that it rolls down to a smaller package than a standard inflatable (which surpised me greatly, although I did have to roll it once, seal it, unroll, unseal and roll it again).

And it should solve my hip issues, and enable us to camp comfortably in cooler weather. On the whole, I am happy at this stage with the (expensive) purchase.
Old 09-05-11, 03:32 AM
antokelly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rowan i have the exped matt excellent matt on all counts it came highly recommended by a friend in the fell club,i'm getting close to a perfect nights sleep at long last.
Old 09-05-11, 03:33 AM
antokelly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good advice massived i did already.