Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Immersing a 63 cm frame in 1 1/2 gallons of Evaporust

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 07:43 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts

I just finished a highly successful derusting of an old Gitane TdF frame. I should have taken photos, but didn't. Here's what I did:

1. I made a simple 3' x 4' pool by nailing together four pieces of 2x4 lumber, lying the resulting frame flat on my porch, and then lining it with a sheet of 6-mil plastic. Then I filled it with water from the garden hose to a depth of 3" or so. A plastic wading pool would have worked just as well, but I don't have one.

2. I then took a sheet of 3-mil plastic and laid it over the top of the resulting pool of water, with about a foot of overhang all around. I took some bricks and weighted down the excess plastic. The result was something like a waterbed--a sheet of plastic with a dry outer surface floating on a pool of water beneath.

3. I placed the frame (which I had previously cleaned and degreased with mineral spirits) on top of the floating sheet of plastic (lying on its side, obviously). I pressed it down so that it sank into the floating plastic to about the mid-line of the head tube, seat tube, down tube, and head tube. The downward-facing dropout and chainstay sank until the dropout touched bottom, so that half of the bottom bracket shell was "underwater." I experimented with various weights and found that a two-foot stick of firewood--resting between the seat and down tubes--held it pressed down to about the right level.

4. Next, I poured Evaporust into the depression surrounding the frame. It took one and one-half gallons to bring the level halfway up the tubes. I put a blue tarp over it to keep everything clean and let it soak overnight.

5. In the morning, I took the frame out and rinsed it. All the rust on the immersed side was gone. I turned it over and did the other side, then rinsed and dried it the following morning. Finally, I did the fork in the same solution.

6. To reclaim the Evaporust, I gathered the edges of the upper sheet of plastic so the ER formed a blob in the middle. Then I picked the whole thing up and put in into a milk crate, after which I could bail out the ER with a coffee can and pour it back into the jug for re-use later. I rinsed the plastic and put it away for re-use later, drained the water, and folded up the lower sheet as well. Done!

Result: A perfectly clean frame (since the solution flooded the insides of the tubes, I imagine that any rust inside the tubes is also gone, although I have never been one to worry about that). Cheaper than oxalic acid, and no toxic waste to dispose of. No neutralizing with baking soda--just a plain water rinse and dry. Seriously, oxalic acid is obsolete.

Patent pending! Okay, not really. I hope it works for others as well as it worked for me.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 08-21-16, 07:53 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I just finished a highly successful derusting of an old Gitane TdF frame. I should have taken photos, but didn't. Here's what I did:

1. I made a simple 3' x 4' pool by nailing together four pieces of 2x4 lumber, lying the resulting frame flat on my porch, and then lining it with a sheet of 6-mil plastic. Then I filled it with water from the garden hose to a depth of 3" or so. A plastic wading pool would have worked just as well, but I don't have one.

2. I then took a sheet of 3-mil plastic and laid it over the top of the resulting pool of water, with about a foot of overhang all around. I took some bricks and weighted down the excess plastic. The result was something like a waterbed--a sheet of plastic with a dry outer surface floating on a pool of water beneath.

3. I placed the frame (which I had previously cleaned and degreased with mineral spirits) on top of the floating sheet of plastic (lying on its side, obviously). I pressed it down so that it sank into the floating plastic to about the mid-line of the head tube, seat tube, down tube, and head tube. The downward-facing dropout and chainstay sank until the dropout touched bottom, so that half of the bottom bracket shell was "underwater." I experimented with various weights and found that a two-foot stick of firewood--resting between the seat and down tubes--held it pressed down to about the right level.

4. Next, I poured Evaporust into the depression surrounding the frame. It took one and one-half gallons to bring the level halfway up the tubes. I put a blue tarp over it to keep everything clean and let it soak overnight.

5. In the morning, I took the frame out and rinsed it. All the rust on the immersed side was gone. I turned it over and did the other side, then rinsed and dried it the following morning. Finally, I did the fork in the same solution.

6. To reclaim the Evaporust, I gathered the edges of the upper sheet of plastic so the ER formed a blob in the middle. Then I picked the whole thing up and put in into a milk crate, after which I could bail out the ER with a coffee can and pour it back into the jug for re-use later. I rinsed the plastic and put it away for re-use later, drained the water, and folded up the lower sheet as well. Done!

Result: A perfectly clean frame (since the solution flooded the insides of the tubes, I imagine that any rust inside the tubes is also gone, although I have never been one to worry about that). Cheaper than oxalic acid, and no toxic waste to dispose of. No neutralizing with baking soda--just a plain water rinse and dry. Seriously, oxalic acid is obsolete.

Patent pending! Okay, not really. I hope it works for others as well as it worked for me.

How do you figure it is cheaper? Here in Canada I paid ~20 CAD for tall can size of oxalic acid couple of years ago and it will last me for quite some time. ~1 quart of Evaporust was about 15 CAD or so
Old 08-21-16, 07:59 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by mongol777
How do you figure it is cheaper? Here in Canada I paid ~20 CAD for tall can size of oxalic acid couple of years ago and it will last me for quite some time. ~1 quart of Evaporust was about 15 CAD or so

Wow. Does Evaporust really cost $15 a quart in Canada? On this side of the border it's $20 a gallon.

My observation is that most people seem to pour OA out onto the ground after using it once. The Evaporust can be reused indefinitely. I guess if you have space for a semi-permanent vat of OA and aren't concerned about toxicity, OA probably is cheaper. Assuming that cheapness is your main concern.

--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 08-21-16 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 08:04 PM
mongol777

Most people seem to pour OA out onto the ground after using it once. The Evaporust can be reused indefinitely. I guess if you have space for a semi-permanent vat of OA and aren't concerned about toxicity, OA probably is cheaper. Assuming that cheapness is your main concern.

Cheapness is not main concern. I used evaporust a lot in the past but switched to oxalic acid - was not a big fan of collecting it after and did not like finish it left on some bits and parts.
If oxalic acid is properly disposed of (diluted and neutralized) it is not toxic and biodegradable. Powder does not take special space to store, ready when I need it and I can adjust concentration and amount.
Not bashing your solution - was just curious how did you figure it was cheaper.
Old 08-21-16, 08:12 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Does either oxalic acid or evaporust leave paint alone?

Last edited by artclone; 08-22-16 at 11:27 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-21-16, 08:21 PM
jonwvara 

Cheapness is not main concern. I used evaporust a lot in the past but switched to oxalic acid - was not a big fan of collecting it after and did not like finish it left on some bits and parts.
If oxalic acid is properly disposed of (diluted and neutralized) it is not toxic and biodegradable. Powder does not take special space to store, ready when I need it and I can adjust concentration and amount.
Not bashing your solution - was just curious how did you figure it was cheaper.

Fair enough. Oxalic acid obviously has its champions. I've heard a range of opinions about its toxicity, and I prefer to err on the side of caution on that score.

--Ogden Nash
Old 08-21-16, 08:24 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by artclone
Do either oxalic acid or evaporust leave paint alone?

Evaporust has no effect on paint. Unlike OA, it is also harmless to aluminum, which makes it a good choice for soaking things--like derailleurs--that combine steel and aluminum parts.

--Ogden Nash
Old 08-21-16, 08:25 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 560 Posts
Smart idea!
Old 08-21-16, 09:11 PM
mongol777

Evaporust has no effect on paint. Unlike OA, it is also harmless to aluminum, which makes it a good choice for soaking things--like derailleurs--that combine steel and aluminum parts.

Good point - only used OA on steel, never occurred to me.
Old 08-21-16, 09:26 PM
mightymax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I saw the title of this thread and thought My Gosh that has to be one frame worth $$$ for that much Evaporust to be used. A few ago I found this product at AutoZone and I thought it was ridiculously expensive for a quart container! Multiplied x6 and the OP used over 150.00 of this product. So where do you guys get this in bigger cans at economical pricing???
Max Bryant

Last edited by mightymax; 08-21-16 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-16, 05:27 AM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by mightymax
I saw the title of this thread and thought My Gosh that has to be one frame worth $$$ for that much Evaporust to be used. A few ago I found this product at AutoZone and I thought it was ridiculously expensive for a quart container! Multiplied x6 and the OP used over 150.00 of this product. So where do you guys get this in bigger cans at economical pricing???
Max Bryant

I bought it at a local place called Tractor Supply for $20 per gallon. I had to buy two gallons, of which I used 1 1/2. But as noted, almost all of it gets collected and poured back into the jug for re-use. It lasts a long time. Considering the cost of bike parts, tools, tires, etc., I don't consider a couple of gallons of ER every few years to be a major expense.

I think ER is even cheaper in 5-gallon pails, but I've never needed that much of it.

--Ogden Nash
Old 08-22-16, 05:31 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Wow. Does Evaporust really cost $15 a quart in Canada? On this side of the border it's $20 a gallon.
Just bought 4 Liters at princess Auto for $21.59 Cdn...
Old 08-22-16, 10:14 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 703 Posts
I'd love to see pics of the final product if you're inclined to post... Thanks...
Old 08-22-16, 10:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
Cheaper than oxalic acid,

OXA1

What's cheaper than this? Enough to treat over 100 frames for about $15 shipped.
Old 08-22-16, 02:43 PM
mongol777

Originally Posted by Wileyone
Just bought 4 Liters at princess Auto for $21.59 Cdn...

Last time I bought was at crappy tire so there is that. Good to now PA sells it too, thanks
Old 08-22-16, 02:53 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Last time I bought was at crappy tire so there is that. Good to now PA sells it too, thanks
No worries. I don't think C Tire sells it anymore.
Old 08-22-16, 02:57 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
[QUOTE=Moe Zhoost;19002462]OXA1
+1 Increase the quantity and it gets less expensive. Mixed properly it won't hurt the paint or decals.

I've found Evaporust looses it potency rather quickly.

Last edited by Velognome; 08-22-16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 05:53 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
OXA1

What's cheaper than this? Enough to treat over 100 frames for about $15 shipped.

Does that figure in the cost of the neutralizing solution and disposal?

--Ogden Nash
Old 08-22-16, 06:16 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Brilliant! Much better than my 'sandbox' technique!
Old 08-22-16, 06:24 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
Does that figure in the cost of the neutralizing solution and disposal?

I mix it in a proportion of 1 tablespoon per gallon. This makes about a 2.5% solution. Not much (cheap) bicarb is necessary to neutralize this amount and it may not be necessary at all if spent.

Glad you had good results with ER.
Old 08-22-16, 06:34 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I mix it in a proportion of 1 tablespoon per gallon. This makes about a 2.5% solution. Not much (cheap) bicarb is necessary to neutralize this amount and it may not be necessary at all if spent.

Glad you had good results with ER.

I think I mixed OA way too strong back in the days when I used it--that's why I'm probably so concerned (quite possibly too concerned) about toxicity.

I apologize if my previous post seemed wiseassed/sarcastic. That wasn't my intent.

--Ogden Nash
Old 11-10-17, 01:08 PM
jpaschall

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613, 1988 Panasonic MC 2500, 1981 Schwinn Super Sport, 1975 Raleigh Super Course MKII, 1985 Miyata 210

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
From the grave:

@jonwvara I’m planning on doing this as you’ve done it this weekend. Evaporust is still ~$20/gallon at TS. When I place the frame down into the plastic, will a good amount of water flow out from underneath? Trying to figure out how much of a mess I’m going to be making . In my head 2x4’s don’t seem high sided enough to make an adequate soaking space without displacing all the water?

I’m going to take pictures of the process for reference, before and after a of the frame as well.
Old 11-10-17, 01:43 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I think I mixed OA way too strong back in the days when I used it--that's why I'm probably so concerned (quite possibly too concerned) about toxicity.

I apologize if my previous post seemed wiseassed/sarcastic. That wasn't my intent.
I use both OA and Evaporust. I prefer EV on anything with aluminum or plastic parts; on pure steel I use OA.

Sometimes I mix it a bit too strong and get a yellow residue that has to be scrubbed off with a brush; in the summer my OA tank (a wallpaper soaking tray) has water evaporation problems, so the concentration of OA increases along with the yellow residue.

Evaporust power does weaken with time, but additional time in the bath seems to work.
Old 11-10-17, 02:22 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts
Good thread; I have a frame that needs soaking (rust is on the inside) and I've been trying to decide between evaporust and OA. I figure this is a one time deal for me as I don't plan on buying another frame that needs this treatment (fingers crossed).
Old 11-10-17, 02:39 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by jpaschall
From the grave:

@jonwvara I’m planning on doing this as you’ve done it this weekend. Evaporust is still ~$20/gallon at TS. When I place the frame down into the plastic, will a good amount of water flow out from underneath? Trying to figure out how much of a mess I’m going to be making . In my head 2x4’s don’t seem high sided enough to make an adequate soaking space without displacing all the water?

I’m going to take pictures of the process for reference, before and after a of the frame as well.
I'm glad you're going to take photos. I didn't think to until it was too late. The frame won't displace much water and there's no need to fill the 2x4 and plastic "tank" anywhere near the top. If I remember right, I left about an inch or so of head space and that was plenty. If a dry run with the frame afloat on the plastic but no ER added yet suggests there's there's not enough water, you can always peel back the floating outer sheet and add more water.

As a footnote I will mention that I took the ER-treated Gitane TdF on a nice overnight ride with some friends last weekend, and noticed that there's again a thin layer of rust over some of the bare areas in the paint, despite my sporadic efforts to treat it with Boeshield (I ride it quite a lot but don't always look at it closely). But small amounts of cosmetic rust don't bother me much.

As long as it's my rust, I mean. It's a previous owner's rust that I can't stand.

--Ogden Nash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.