Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I wonder

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 04:52 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I wonder

Anymore with bikes that can have 36 plus gears, and have riders that have cadence meters on their cranks, horsepower reading, pulse rate, GPS readouts and of course speedometers, does anyone just ride for the fun of it?

I really dont care to be involved in all that information. Further I really dont care what anyone thinks about what I ride, where I ride, and how fast I ride. I just ride for the exercise, joy, and the fun of it. How many here do the same?

Last edited by rydabent; 11-21-13 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 05:18 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I have a taped-patched folded map that I carry in a plastic bag for directions. Lately I've been riding with a wristwatch but just looking at the sun will get me home before dark more reliably as the seasons change. I guess I can monitor my cadence with the wrist watch but I never do. I pretty much guess my cadence is relatively fast and always has been. The watch comes in handy for intervals but I'm too lazy to do them very often anymore. Now how did I ever get along w/o the wristwatch for decades, lol. I'm thinking about leaving it home again.

No cellphone. No 'puter. A cadence meter of some sort might come in handy for the newbie solo cyclist at first though. Some newbies will find their cadence is a little slow for keeping up with the Jones'es.

My estimate speedometer so I don't break the 15mph speed limit too often on the more inhabited parts of my local MUP. At the bottom of the page:

https://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html

Last edited by Zinger; 11-09-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 05:33 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Why would you think that it is not possible to have fun riding with lotsa gears and other technology?
Old 11-09-13, 05:47 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
...... Since I will be 75 next month, I really dont care to be involved in all that information.
At 75 you're far too young to be a true Luddite.... (1. A group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery fearing the new technology would put them out of a job). But you may fit in part with of the contemporary definition (2. One who opposes technical or technological change). But it doesn't matter... not even an itty bitty bit.

I only bicycle for the fun of it. It makes me feel like a kid again. However.... I do track mileage, speed, calories... stuff like that. And I also enjoy parts of the processes and procedures with getting ready for a ride. I enjoy wrenching too! There are many aspects to the sport of cycling. Everyone has their favorite parts.... that doesn't include riding the bicycle. Nothing wrong with not enjoying the number crunching.
Old 11-09-13, 05:48 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
And the OP cares for what reason?

Old 11-09-13, 05:59 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anymore with bikes that can have 36 plus gears, and have riders that have cadence meters on their cranks, horsepower reading, pulse rate, GPS readouts and of course speedometers, does anyone just ride for the fun of it?

Since I will be 75 next month, I really dont care to be involved in all that information. Further I really dont care what anyone thinks about what I ride, where I ride, and how fast I ride. I just ride for the exercise, joy, and the fun of it. How many here do the same.
What does age have to do with your desire to ride the way you want? Answer: "Nothing".

That you feel compelled to post about your purported independence makes me question just how immune to perceived social pressure you really are. Note, I said "perceived". I doubt there is any real community action forcing you to ride at all, let alone ride in a certain way.

Stated succinctly: Any person who is not being paid to ride a bicycle and doesn't do it their way needs some counseling.
Old 11-09-13, 06:02 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

I can imagine this sort of thread might come up once in a while as it has over in C&V.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ter-Yay-or-Nay

When I was trying to get a more competitive base going back in the day I just found myself over doing it more often when I spent so much time racing against the clock. And of course I have that whole forum Luddite thing to live up to.

But people who do use 'puters will have reasons for them especially when they are focused on fitness. I'm sure they'll be along directly.
Old 11-09-13, 06:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm with you, rydabent, but different people define "fun" in different ways.

My son is gearing up to do some gravel road night rides. He's ridden with them once on his hard tail mountain bike. He said they rode 20 - 22 MPH on the flat at night. I built him a wheelset for use with 28 mm tires on his back up road bike. He said to leave the rim strips off because he's planning on going tubeless. Not my idea of fun.
Old 11-10-13, 07:56 PM
choteau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started riding again at age 51 (after 25+ years off) because I needed the exercise, joy, and FUN of riding. I remembered the feeling the freedom I had as a kid, it's more FUN for me to ride an old 3 speed, some days slower and some days like today about 18 miles in about 1 1/2 hours. Tim
Old 11-10-13, 11:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Where can I get one of those 36 speed bikes?
Old 11-11-13, 01:27 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rydabent gas it about right. I was riding with a group of younger riders and it was getting harder- They got fitter and faster as I was beginning to slow down. Then on a hard ride last year I swore at them for waiting for me at the top of the hills. They were ruining their ride by stopping and I was pushing too hard to try and catch them so they didn't have to wait for me. That was a hard ride for me but made easier as I no longer pushed myself over the top and wore myself out. Kept within my capabilities and only finished 10 minutes behind them on a 4 hour ride.

Since then I have dropped the group and do my own ride in my time at my speed. At least I am still riding whereas IF I was attempting to ride with them-I would have given up as it was no longer enjoyable.

But on gears and bike technology--I am for all the assistance I can get. Plenty of gears so I can go lower for the hills and cruise in the higher ones. Triple or Compact does not bother me as I have Cassettes that will get me up the hills or closer ratios if flatland is involved. I can assure you that the 15lb bike is easier to pedal on the century rides up long hills but the 19 lbs "BLING" Pinarrello is just as good on 50 milers.

I have found in the last year that my bike riding has changed and that is not through fitness. That has gone down with age but I still get out- still enjoy it and do my my rides in my way and on bikes I enjoy riding.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-11-13, 07:10 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
...I have found in the last year that my bike riding has changed and that is not through fitness. That has gone down with age but I still get out- still enjoy it and do my my rides in my way and on bikes I enjoy riding.
I understand fitness not to be absolute but to be a percentage of capability. In that sense, you can remain equally fit as you age, it's the net capability that declines.
Old 11-11-13, 08:10 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Where can I get one of those 36 speed bikes?
Get an 9 speed cassette, and then make your triple a quad. You'll need a friction shifter for the front derailleur and almost certainly a long cage rear derailleur, but it isn't crazy if you like having tight ratios AND range.

(I realize the question was really sarcastic, but since I had an answer...)

Old 11-11-13, 08:25 AM
big john

Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Get an 9 speed cassette, and then make your triple a quad. You'll need a friction shifter for the front derailleur and almost certainly a long cage rear derailleur, but it isn't crazy if you like having tight ratios AND range.

(I realize the question was really sarcastic, but since I had an answer...)

I figured somebody would come up with something.
Old 11-11-13, 08:37 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I have a single speed that I keep as simple as possible. Single speed, no derailers or ****ers. just one gear and brakes. No computer, although I sometimes will mount my iPhone to it, if I want to know the distance of a specific ride. It's fun to ride. My other bikes have 'puters, but I don't really track mileage. I'll reset them at the begining of a ride, look at them at the end, sometimes as a guage of my fitness level if I have a big ride in the future, but usually I look at it say 'That's nice' and go on to the next thing.
You want to ride with all the stuff, fine with me. You want to ride simple, that's ok with me too. I'm sure we'll have something in common at the coffee stop.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 11-11-13, 09:03 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't it great!? How many of us differ so much in our personal preferences!? Are some people soooo caught up and sooo slavishly consumed in their gadgets and electronics that they have completely lost site of just the fun of riding. YES! Are some people total gadget/electronic geeks but yet still NEVER lose grasp of the pure fun of riding a bike? YES! It does make one wonder sometimes but I know, thankfully, that we humans come in all types so our routes to good clean fun just benignly differ sometimes
Old 11-11-13, 09:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A triple with a 12 speed cassette will give you those 36 speeds.

BTW it has been suggested by a few that I hate technology which is not true. FYI before I retired, I worked on almost all office machines from typewriters up to and including laser printers and mainframe computers.

Also Im not trying to say that anyone that enjoys having an electronics suite on his bike and enjoys it should not do so. All that I am saying is people should just go with the joy of cycling, watch their surrounding, and stop and smell the roses. Riding a bike should be carefree and fun. In todays world it is one of the few fun things left.
Old 11-11-13, 12:35 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the commonly used 12 speed cassette.

Do you know what I hate? Everything different.
Old 11-11-13, 01:12 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

BTW it has been suggested by a few that I hate technology which is not true. FYI before I retired, I worked on almost all office machines from typewriters up to and including laser printers and mainframe computers.

Also Im not trying to say that anyone that enjoys having an electronics suite on his bike and enjoys it should not do so. All that I am saying is people should just go with the joy of cycling, watch their surrounding, and stop and smell the roses. Riding a bike should be carefree and fun. In todays world it is one of the few fun things left.
I've always been tempted to install a fax machine on my bike, but I'd be fine with just a flat screen TV with Netflix.

Old 11-11-13, 01:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
There's a difference between having the various training aids and using them on the one hand, and obsessing over them on the other. I ride 3 times a week, 2 x ~1 hr rides midweek where I push really hard, essentially going as fast as I can for the whole time, so that when I do my long Sunday ride I'm less limited by fitness.

My bikes all have 16 or 20 gears because I don't want to limit myself to riding in the flats. Riding only in the flats is not as much fun.

I have a cyclocomputer with speed and cadence. I pay attention to them on my midweek rides, because on those I'm 'training', while on the Sunday ride, I don't.

I have an HRM, which again I pay more attention to on the midweek rides, while on the Sunday rides, I primarily use it on long climbs to keep an eye on effort.

All of these data-collecting devices, I used much more when I was learning how to ride long (for me) distances. I built up to having a smooth 95-105 rpm spin by paying attention to the cadence meter, but now I know what if feels like, for example. With the HRM, I use it as a check on effort, because I've often found myself zooming along on slight downhill sections thinking I'm not pushing very hard, and found that I'm actually surprisingly close to lactate threshold. Now I am better at matching perceived effort with actual level of exertion.

All of this is to say that I have a number of the things the OP mentions, which I have used to make my rides that I do for fun more fun. The idea that you can't have these things and ride for fun is a false dichotomy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-11-13, 01:27 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The idea that you can't have these things and ride for fun is a false dichotomy.
Ex-friggin'-zactly.
Old 11-11-13, 01:32 PM
swampboy62
hermit

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the ONLY reason I ride.

I work with computers pretty much every day. When I get on my bike I don't want any electronic gadgets around (I will carry my cell phone in my pack though).

Not there to impress anyone, don't give a damn what others think. I'm slow - so what.

Steve Z
Old 11-11-13, 01:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Why would you think that it is not possible to have fun riding with lotsa gears and other technology?
He doesn't ride enough to use one.

Old 11-11-13, 01:38 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone can have fun riding a bicycle that isn't a penny-farthing.
Old 11-11-13, 02:06 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
He doesn't ride enough to use one.
I wonder how anybody ever rode 300 miles per week without a 'puter, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.