Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is the LBS going the way of the of other repair shops?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is the LBS going the way of the of other repair shops?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 11:06 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
I think a mobile bike service would be dependent on the area. Couldn't see it being much of a success in Blo-No (Bloomington / Normal IL with pop. of 133k). They have three pretty solid bike shops with staff of employees.

The key in keeping sales volume is the turnover of residents partially due a multi-college town. The usual big box stores do sell the cheapo bikes but I don't believe it affects the other bike shops sales. If anything, some of those cheapo Wallmart type store bikes might roll in ending up as shop repair or new bike sale revenue.

Its also very easy to travel anywhere there by mass transit, car or bike. Bonus for customers are the convenient access to stores and rarely one complains of traffic delays. Those few bike stores have a pretty efficient turnaround on service.

In summary with just a few stores, it makes for good competition, all are within easy access and provide speedy service. I don't see a mobile shop making it in that area.
Old 01-31-17, 12:07 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
[QUOTE=squirtdad;19347106]I really wonder about this....in my area a bike fixit van coming to work is considered part of the perk of the work you to death lifestyle.

Also it seems that so many kids today have limited or no exposure to the basics I grew up with (fiddling with bikes and wood) etc that a lot of things that I do DIY (bikes, house repairs, etc) are something that will have to be done by someone else.

My area (San Jose/Silicon Valley) has a pretty thriving bunch of bikes shops, but I think some are going to be endangered, here are the basic types and examples that i see and my guess

The old school hard core bike shop. Super knowledge, combined with some funkiness/specialties. Probably not endangered, but dependent on the owners/techs

* Sloughs.... doesn't have a web site, wouldn't work on fixies, super skills and knowledge and amazing old stock inventory

*Silva cycles. Build frames, customizes bikes, works old, new and in between, builds professional unicycles. Stocks Rivendell, Salsa, Jones. Good vibe

New school hard core bike shop, newe, bigger but at soul, old school

* la dolce Velo. Larger selection of bikes, more room and staff....but good vibe.

Long term local bike shop. the place that parents and grand parents bought bikes from and then bring kids and grandkids. Tend to be family owned and run for generations. Good chance of owning the buildings they are in. Follow what is hot...ie cruisers, fixies, bmx etc but maintain solid practical inventory. Probably under pressure but follow model and will survive

* Hylands family bike shop

regional chain shop. in between Big chain and new school hard core shop. depends on location, location location and better than chain shop service

*Mikes bikes

Cupertino Bike Shop fits between Silva's/Slough's and Hyland's. It's been in the valley since the 50s in various renditions, but still has that funky, old school appeal. Started by Spence Wolfe to support the local racers at the time. Saw my first derailleur equipped bike at the original shop on Randy Lane. Sadly, Apple has consumed much of that area.

Cheers,

Van
Old 01-31-17, 12:24 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Cupertino Bike Shop fits between Silva's/Slough's and Hyland's. It's been in the valley since the 50s in various renditions, but still has that funky, old school appeal. Started by Spence Wolfe to support the local racers at the time.
From around 1976/7 or so onward Spence relocated the Cupertino Bike Shop to Pacific Grove, CA. I'm not certain how the succession worked, or who bought or inherited the business/name, but AFAIK he lived in Pacific Grove until his death.
Old 01-31-17, 12:33 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
From around 1976/7 or so onward Spence relocated the Cupertino Bike Shop to Pacific Grove, CA. I'm not certain how the succession worked, or who bought or inherited the business/name, but AFAIK he lived in Pacific Grove until his death.
As of a couple of years ago, It was back in Cupertino on Foothill Blvd. Check it out.

Van
Old 01-31-17, 02:12 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I think a mobile bike service would be dependent on the area. Couldn't see it being much of a success in Blo-No (Bloomington / Normal IL with pop. of 133k). They have three pretty solid bike shops with staff of employees.

.... I don't see a mobile shop making it in that area.
The windshield on my car cracked. Whereas every auto-body shop could replace the windshield. It was simpler and MUCH more convenient for me to just have the guy stop at the house and replace it. The cost was the same, too.

But, I agree that the new van bike-repair model might be a hard (costly) method to sell to the public. But at least the infrequent cyclist might like the idea of no... new bike sale pitch.... from a mobile repair shop.
Old 01-31-17, 02:50 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I tend to think LBS's will still be around, provided they aren't priced out of their respective places (looking at you, Seattle.....). Like new car dealerships, there will be the need for new bike dealerships. Many people want a car or bike that is all put together well enough to trust, with all parts 'made to work with each other' (as opposed to our mixing and matching here at C&V, well, when we're not building period-correct that is). The margins made on new sales will be whatever they are, but service always costs money. New car dealerships make little money on the new car sale, but a lot more on service. Used car margins tend to be very favorable.

If we tweak the question into longevity of used parts and bikes shops, then it gets a bit more unknown. They know they have to have an inventory of new bikes and consumables to be smart and stay in the black, but not everyone is looking to wrench. Thankfully, two to three shops in a huge Seattle area keeps them going, though perhaps not as much as they'd want.
Old 01-31-17, 06:26 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
One statement I read here shortly after I joined has stuck in my head: If you want to make a small fortune with a bicycle shop, start with a large fortune and just wait. (paraphrased due to memory being lacking) Every shop owner I told that line to said it was pretty much spot on, especially with the on-line stores and their prices.

Bill
Old 01-31-17, 06:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Yet, one small business that has blossomed is the quicky-lube shops.

It isn't that people can't crawl under their vehicle and pull an oil plug. It is just easier to get someone else to do it.
This is something I wanted to learn to do as a kid, but just when I got old enough to ask my dad to show me how different environmental rules came into place and he said it was cheaper to get it done than it was to for him to pay to dispose of the oil (which he used to do for free). Either that or he was tired of building cars all day and didn't want to think about working on them when he got home at the end of the day.
Old 01-31-17, 06:58 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The shops that survive will have to keep a brick and mortar shop, and, sell a lot on the internet. Just like Performance.
And many others. One needs to use all the available selling methods that exist. The exposure to so many customers can't be overlooked. Same as any other business. Most of the things I buy from Amazon are from bike shops. Times change and you need to adapt or fail. It's not one or the other type of sales. It's both.

Now Wal Mart is doing what Amazon does. You can buy all kinds of bike related items on line from them. Mostly coming from bike shops.
Old 01-31-17, 06:59 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
What other consumer product comes partially assembled, but the part that is pre-assembled needs adjustment?
Old 01-31-17, 07:10 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
The handwriting is definitely on the wall for my LBS. It was pretty much a two man shop. One ran the operation and the other did the wrenching. With an assistant in the busy season. They've long been located in a warehouse district a few blocks from the university. But in the last two years, the entire area has been completely rebuilt with their street now being large apartment buildings with first floor retail with a new hotel at either end of the block. The shop now sticks out like a sore thumb and the land has become too valuable to be dedicated to a bike shop. According to the remaining owner, there's a plan to put a Performance store in one of the storefronts when they get forced out. If that's true, there will be bike shop, but it won't really be an LBS.

Last edited by jon c.; 02-01-17 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 07:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I worked in a shop in the 80s in New Orleans called the Bikesmith. The owner got his start in business with a mobile repair van. That gave him the working capital he needed to open a shop.

I'm sure that others had this idea as well but it's an interesting way to interact with customers. Still it looks like those mobile shops cater to the higher end of the bike market.
Old 01-31-17, 09:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
There is a guy in the Des Moines metro who has is a mobile mechanic. Advertises on CL and has a facebook page which I will glance at from time to time. I am always surprised that there is work. Seems like a heck of a hustle to constantly drum up business. He will go out to the trails and meet someone if needed, or go to their house or business.
There is certainly something to be said for the convenience to the consumer.
And the wait times for him are significantly less than if you take your bike to a shop(there are a couple shops in the metro which are always a 2 week wait regardless of time of year).

I am just surprised that an area the size of the Des Moines metro in a climate where cycling is a seasonal activity can sustain someone thru word of mouth and facebook.
Old 01-31-17, 11:53 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I am one of the guys that my (only) LBS calls to wrench on bikes when they get busy. There used to be 3 shops in town as I recall, but this is the last. It is a mom & pop where the owners own their building, and has been in business as long as I can remember - at least since the bike boom of the 1970's.

They do a lot of repairs and tune-ups and sell quite a few new bikes (mostly aluminum), but they maintain more inventory of new bikes than I am comfortable with. Their main mechanic is a young guy who is a student and will likely leave when he gets his degree.

Their ace in the hole is their proximity to the university. They get a lot of student business, both sales and service. They bend over backward on customer service. When they decide to retire, which will be in the next few years, the university will probably make an offer on their property.
Old 01-31-17, 10:39 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read this article a couple days ago when it came out, and found it funny because I used to work with Sean Sweeney (the triathlete in the article).

Anyhow, I have a few friends that own bike shops, and know a bunch more people who work in the industry. When it comes to their shops, I've observed that the successful ones fall into a couple of categories: small/boutique shops focused on used/obscure bikes with a small line of new bikes and a knowledge of old parts voodoo, or large/multi-location shops with a concept store vibe (Mike's Bikes for example is heavily bolstered by Specialized, and floorplans a number of their bikes). Anywhere in between, and it seems like you end up getting lost in the shuffle.
Old 01-31-17, 10:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
There's a local guy that has been doing mobile service using a custom built cargo bike. I've seen him around a few times, sometimes out on the bike path. I don't know how well he's been doing, but ideally overhead would be almost zero.

I assume winter is less appealing than summer.
Old 01-31-17, 11:00 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by 4funbikes
What other consumer product comes partially assembled, but the part that is pre-assembled needs adjustment?
Tennis Shoes?
Desktop Computers?

A lot of things are shipped requiring assembly of various amounts depending on the product. Desks, Bookshelves, Barbecues, and just about anything bulky. Swingsets.

Some stores provide assembly services. Hopefully at higher quality than Walmart bikes.
Old 01-31-17, 11:03 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by himespau
This is something I wanted to learn to do as a kid, but just when I got old enough to ask my dad to show me how different environmental rules came into place and he said it was cheaper to get it done than it was to for him to pay to dispose of the oil (which he used to do for free). Either that or he was tired of building cars all day and didn't want to think about working on them when he got home at the end of the day.
I believe all auto parts stores are required to provide FREE oil recycling. Just bring in your used oil and they will take it. Ask them the next time you buy oil.

Some of the quick lube shops will also take carried in used oil.
The local dump should also have a special place for it.
Old 02-01-17, 12:26 AM
Campagnerdo 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Just received word this weekend that a local, very long established shop will be closing next month. Not sure if it is the current competition (on line) or just lifestyle change for the present owner, but it seems to be the case that the local shops struggle. It is probably for the better that I didn't accept that job at John's bike shop when I was 16, I am entrepreneurial, and would have wanted to give the industry a shot.
Old 02-01-17, 04:29 AM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This got me thinking about challenges to bike shops...

When I was a kid, every kid was out on a bike once school was out, and if the weather was nice. Summer time, on the bikes constantly.

Looking around my neighborhood, there are a fair number of kids, but I rarely see them on bikes. Certainly nothing like when I was younger.

I wonder if this is a ticking time bomb, to some extent, for bike shops and manufacturers. Fewer young people riding as kids means fewer adults riding bikes someday in the not too distant future.

When I think of my workplace, the people riding bikes are 40 years old plus. I work with a pretty decent number of younger folks in their mid twenties, and I don't know that any of them ride regularly.

Obviously, my neighborhood and workplace are a small sample size, and I live in a city that doesn't have a particularly huge bike scene. Kansas City isn't Portland or Seattle. But anyway, was just thinking about how I don't see younger folks riding very often.
Old 02-01-17, 09:50 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts
So being a manager of a shop. I pretty much never seen a teenager come in and just walk around and daydream like I and probably many others used to. The majority of our bread and butter bikes are from that $350-$600 range. Lots of Electra Townies, entry level mountain bikes, comfort bikes and hybrids. Road bikes are completely dead and selling them at 10% above cost just to get rid of them. Last year was not a positive one for road riding in Michigan.

The general manager wants a piece of the big box pie so he's bringing in some Huffy cruisers and kids bikes to compete with Walmart, Toy'r'Us, Meijers, etc... so it'll be interesting. He had a company in the past that contracted with stores to build their bikes so he's dabbled quite a bit with that part of the business also. He wants to cater to every customer and offer them a well assembled bike but at every price level. So this year will be different as Huffy is pushing for IBD's to become service centers for them for those that don't read Bicycle Retailer.

Why was Huffy's CEO at the IBD Summit? | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

I think the shops that refuse to work on dept store bikes give customers a bad taste in their mouths. We service everything as it baffles me sometimes when folks come in and ask if we work on bikes also? Not sure I've ever been to shop that just does sales and no service as the two go hand in hand.

We also do online sales with Amazon, eBay and online store as well as ski/snowboard swaps over winter to keep the cobwebs from the till.
Old 02-01-17, 10:54 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My bike shop is about to close. Really, it's the owners fault. My side of town used to support two shops that both did fairly well and had been in business for a long time. Long story short, both owners sold out to Bike Street USA which went bankrupt and closed all (15?) of their shops. The one on my side of town was resurrected by the regional manager along with 2 or 3 others. He lives in a different city with different buying habits. He wouldn't listen to the manager from one of the old shops or to his manager at my local shop. He also wouldn't hire a 2nd employee here, so the manager runs the shop by herself, doesn't get vacation time, and as a result is 100% burnt out.

Next closest shop is 25+ minutes away. I won't feel bad about ordering stuff online. I'll give some shops my business if I am in the area, but I'm not going that far out of my way to pick up small parts.

Shops need to change with society or they will die out. We aren't all rich dentists or lawyers springing for a $8k bike, full Rapha kit, and a personal coach.
Old 02-01-17, 08:24 PM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in Colorado Springs and there some great LBSs here. From small (thinking Ted's Bicycles) to large retailers like Performance Bike, we've got it all really. However, with so much competition the bike shops all have to develop their own niche customer base.

For example, Criterium Bicycles is the closest to my house. I like stopping in there when i'm riding the trail that runs near them just to shop around and occasionally pick up the odd thing or three. They have a great selection, but other then when i'm riding that trail i never head their way when i need something.

On the other hand, I love going to Ted's Bicycles - they're always super friendly and beyond helpful. I buy things i wasn't even thinking of every time i stop in!!! They're not big, but make up for it with panache!

However, when i want or need something i most usually go to Performance Bike. They're always very nice and super helpful (especially their repair crew).

And then there is Bicycle Village (just up the road a ways from Performance Bike).

I've been in a few times - even had them do some work on my commuter, but they just could not get it right (i eventually just did the job myself). Over the span of the few years that i have known them, they have proven themselves to be complete azzhats. I will never go there again. Unless you're looking to buy a new bike, they won't even look at you (as in do not even acknowledge you unless you head into the "new bikes" area).

So, when it came time to get a new ride for my son last year you can bet it wasn't at Bicycle Village (and there were a couple bikes he liked when i had taken my commuter in to get worked on).

I believe the LBS presence will continue, but like all retail operations in this ever-more-digital marketplace they will have to "up their game" if they want to survive.
Old 02-02-17, 08:03 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
In my small town in north ga I have a bike shop just blocks from my house. I have stopped by to pick up tubes or chain lube. They see my old bike, state of the art for the time. The guys there never say a word about it.
I thought bike people liked to talk bikes......
Their group rides are hammerfests. I did those 20 years ago but am older and over it. I love to ride and do several times a week.
I think these shops that cater only to what to be racers are going to be short lived.

I have found the folks at REI and Performance more down to earth and engaged with normal people.
Old 02-03-17, 02:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Recent story:

I have a LBS I really like - the owner was the main mechanic at another shop and opened his own on the other side of town. Always friendly and helpful, usually has what I need.

This week I broke a spoke on my commuter bike - bought this bike at this LBS - nice but nothing special; fixed gear with fenders and lights and rack. The wheels that came on the bike have galvanized spokes, this isn't the first one I've broken, so I figured I'll rebuild the wheels with some good spokes.

So I go to the LBS and he doesn't have enough spokes in the size I need, so I have to order them and come back later in the week. He's charging me about 50% more than if I ordered them myself... OK, I'll accept that because I'm here and he's helping me - he made sure we got a good measurement for the length.

Then I thought - it would be pretty nice to have a set of backup wheels for my commuter bike - in case this ever happens again, or I can have different tires on them or something - I look at his stock and find the perfect rear wheel with flip flop hub and nice rim and the good spokes. Pre-built warehouse kind of wheels - probably 25% more than I could order them for myself, but I can take them home right now and ride tomorrow... except he only has the back wheel and has to order the front from the warehouse... OK, I'll accept that because I'm here and he's helping me and I can at least take one wheel home and ride tomorrow.

So the next day I get a text that my stuff has arrived and I go back and get my front wheel - exactly what I wanted... but the new spokes for the re-build are the wrong length - he filled out the order form wrong... so now I have to go back again.

I'm happy to pay the LBS premium for the convenience of having it there and support him for the sake of the community... but this was kind of disappointing... the premium didn't match the experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.