Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey or Other Ti Frame...Last Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lynskey or Other Ti Frame...Last Bike

Old 10-13-17, 03:29 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
A Moots Vamoots build with comparable functionality as the Lynskey R260 I just ordered would cost just under $10,000. For the R260 disc with Di2, thru-axle, etc. plus the ti seatpost I'm paying around $6,000.

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to be out riding and think God damnit, if only this bike had a Chris King headset instead of Cane Creek 40. Is the Moots better? I have no idea. But I highly doubt it's $4,000 better.

I went with the Lynskey because I thought I could get a bike that I would be comfortable on for very long rides, while still being able to hold my own in A group rides, that would be durable, support wider tires, have nice frills like electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes, etc. I haven't got the bike yet, so it remains to be seen if it turns out to be all it's cracked up to be in my mind. Assuming it is, though, I'll be very happy with it. I can think of a lot of other uses for $4,000 than just making me feel "leet" at group rides because I paid more for my bike than the next guy. Hell, even with the Lynskey I probably will have paid more for my bike than most guys or gals. But it won't be the price tag that makes me feel good about it. It'll be the comfortable ride, the smooth, precise shifting, the wide comfortable 32mm Compass tires giving me that creamy ride while giving up no speed, etc.

Even if my wife would have let me buy a $10,000 bike I wouldn't have done it. I could pick up the Lynskey R260 and a killer full suspension mountain bike for that much money. And probably still have some change left over.
Old 10-13-17, 04:07 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I will say I've heard more than a small handful of seemingly-knowledgeable bicycle aficianados claim that Lynsey is a "second-tier builder", a step down from Ti framebuilders like Moots, Hampsten, Firefly, Strong, Seven, Holland, Eriksen, or (when they existed) Serotta. But that's the internet, so you gotta take that with a grain of salt.
Lynskey founded Litespeed in 1989 (1990?) and sold it in 1999. In 2006 they started Lynskey. If they are 2nd tier it's not because they don't have experience, and perhaps the most experience, building Ti frames.
I asked the question about Lynskey's reputation when I started this thread, and in this thread and elsewhere I came to the conclusion that they are an excellent builder, as good as any. Others may come to a different conclusion.

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
But more than a small handful of people I actually know have bought Lynskey frames...and my observation is that every single one of those folks chose a Lynskey specifically because it was more affordable than a Moots, Hampsten, Firefly, Strong, Seven, Holland, Eriksen, or (when they existed) Serotta.
Make of that what you will.
What I make of it is that I just didn't see any reason to pay more for a Moots, Hampsten, Firefly, Strong, Seven, Holland, Eriksen, or (when they existed) Serotta. All beautiful bikes, but so is my Lynskey.

I had a $5K budget for a bike, and planned to get a custom made steel frame. A little research and I started to realize that since I'm fairly average size and not freakishly proportioned, I really didn't need a custom built frame. I had a bike that fit me very well, so I looked for a frame with similar numbers.
I didn't consider Ti because of the high price, so when I stumbled on Lynskey and priced a bike out I started this thread thinking something must be "off."

I think it's the fact that they only sell direct that they can sell at I dunno, 30% off what other Ti makers sell. I enjoy another hobby where boutique makers sell only direct and are generally (relatively) very reasonably priced. Dealers cost a lot of money.

I shopped in my LBS in the $3K - $5K range. Lots of really nice bikes. But I don't believe I would be as happy with one of them as I am with my R250, as modestly spec'd as it is.

Just my 2 cents, hope I don't sound too defensive or too much like a Lynskey homer...
Old 10-13-17, 07:46 PM
matt92037

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I will weight in. I have owned quite a few nice titanium bikes in my day. If you like Lynskeys stock geometry you will not be missing out too much from what a $4k boutique frame has to offer.

If you want custom geometry and a custom tube set then I would personally look to a smaller builder and expect to pay a lot more for a frame.

Not having all the facts, I would guess that Lynskey wins on price when it comes to economies of scale. To add to it, I have read the materials price of titanium has been down for a while and I could see Lynskey having the buying power to buy a significant stockpile of materials when the price is low and pass along those savings to consumers with their never ending "sale" price.
Old 10-13-17, 09:08 PM
Boondocksaints

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For Moots, Seven, Firefly, etc, you are paying for that "bling" factor. That feeling of having a Louis Vuitton Bag. To some people, that is indeed worth it. Because of the emotional satisfaction you get. "Ohh I have this Moots and I love it so much." I probably would love it too if I could afford 10k on a bike. I also think the aesthetics are a wee bit better.

However, for practical purposes, I don't think the quality is thousands of dollars better than a Lynskey. It MAY be incrementally better, but probably just on the same level.

IMO, a Motobecane Ti can't be beat for value.

Last edited by Boondocksaints; 10-14-17 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 04:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I don't chase after beautiful women for the same reason I don't lust after high-dollar bikes ... I look bad enough alone, and in both cases I woulds look even worse ... and I wouldn't ultimately ride any better.
Old 10-16-17, 06:34 AM
BicycleJoe
Peddling my ass all over

Bikes: Merlin, Trek 1500, Serrotta, Merckx ti X, Tomassini Sintesi, Bianchi Champion del Mondo, Cannondale 2000, Giant TCR, Schwinn Continental, Peugeot Folding, Vitus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I don't chase after beautiful women for the same reason I don't lust after high-dollar bikes ... I look bad enough alone, and in both cases I woulds look even worse ... and I wouldn't ultimately ride any better.
Looks aren't every thing LOL
Old 10-16-17, 06:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I do ride faster on a lighter bike, but there certainly is a point of diminishing returns. That's why I don't spend too much on bikes. I'm always looking for the frugal ways, and one of my tricks is to wait until something undervalued comes along.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-31-17, 02:01 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
R260 Disc ordered 10/4, shipped today! Delivery scheduled for Friday. No doubt it will snow several inches here in Syracuse by then.
Old 10-31-17, 02:34 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then there are people who have owned BMWs, aren't fanatics, and are thoroughly pi$$ed off at long wait times for over-priced parts, snotty mechanics and uncooperative service departments and generally unreliable vehicles ... some, not all.
Teetering off topic a bit, but your comment is a bit strong IMHO and sounds like somebody who has never owned or driven one. I have owned three BMWs, a 2001 convertible, a 2002 convertible (still have it) and a 2014 hatch. I have found them to be more reliable than any other car I have ever owned (including several Hondas, an infinity, 4 mazdas and a ford). I put 230,000 miles on my 2001 and owned it for 14 years. Great engine, still going strong when I traded it. Bought the 2002 several years ago because I loved the first one so much. It has 96k on it and still going strong. The 2014 has 46k miles on it and I have paid for nothing yet but tires. I don't disagree with your comments on service departments but I don't take any of my cars to service departments, bmw or otherwise, once they are out of warranty. They are profit centers.

Cheers.
Old 10-31-17, 03:25 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
Teetering off topic a bit, but your comment is a bit strong IMHO and sounds like somebody who has never owned or driven one. I have owned three BMWs, a 2001 convertible, a 2002 convertible (still have it) and a 2014 hatch. I have found them to be more reliable than any other car I have ever owned (including several Hondas, an infinity, 4 mazdas and a ford). I put 230,000 miles on my 2001 and owned it for 14 years. Great engine, still going strong when I traded it. Bought the 2002 several years ago because I loved the first one so much. It has 96k on it and still going strong. The 2014 has 46k miles on it and I have paid for nothing yet but tires. I don't disagree with your comments on service departments but I don't take any of my cars to service departments, bmw or otherwise, once they are out of warranty. They are profit centers.

Cheers.
So you're saying you never owned one of the models with a troublesome HPFP?
Old 10-31-17, 03:30 PM
gettingold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
So you're saying you never owned one of the models with a troublesome HPFP?
Correct. And that is a pretty specific problem, not related to BMW's reliability in general, wouldn't you agree? How many years did it cover? You name me a car that has not had a specific problem of one kind or another.
Old 10-31-17, 10:51 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I ride a Lynskey-made Litespeed Vortex, and I believe that it really will be the last bike I will ever buy (barring bike-ending crashes or component non-availability, which may force me to update). It's light-ish, comfortable, and fits me well - even after 14 years of ownership (frame is 17 years old), I still marvel at how pretty it is. Ti is a splendid material - light, strong and corrosion- and fatigue-resistent. Pretty much the only thing that goes wrong with Ti frames is weld failure, so if you buy from an experienced builder (and Lynskey are like the OG Ti builder), you really can't go wrong.
Old 11-11-17, 07:46 AM
gettingold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thought I'd bump this since my Lynskey R 260 Disc has arrived and been ridden. From the standpoint of ride or fit and finish I can't see anybody who has looked at one and/or ridden it calling it a "second tier" ti bike or manufacturer. The welds are perfect and the finish is stunning. It rides perfectly, better than my carbon. Also, these are not just assembled in the USA but their tubes are actually rolled, shaped and welded at the Lynskey factory. They make OEM frames for others that I have seen listed as top ti bikes.
Old 11-11-17, 10:25 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Thought I'd bump this since my Lynskey R 260 Disc has arrived and been ridden. From the standpoint of ride or fit and finish I can't see anybody who has looked at one and/or ridden it calling it a "second tier" ti bike or manufacturer. The welds are perfect and the finish is stunning. It rides perfectly, better than my carbon. Also, these are not just assembled in the USA but their tubes are actually rolled, shaped and welded at the Lynskey factory. They make OEM frames for others that I have seen listed as top ti bikes.
Pics! Have you made any changes yet? When mine shows up on Tuesday I'll take it for a short 9 mile ride in stock configuration, then I'll be swapping the 11-32t cassette for a 12-25t, putting on some 32mm Compass tires, and my Brooks saddle. I'll keep the original chain off to the side with the 11-32t cassette, which it will match sizewise, and I've got a pair of Dura Ace chains I'll be alternating, sized for the 12-25t cassette. I may end up swapping the handlebar over to the new bike from my current bike, because I really like it and it's probably better than what Lynskey is shipping with the R260 (I have the 3T Ergonova).
Old 11-11-17, 10:37 AM
matt92037

My frame showed up yesterday. Unlike what the website shows as a R265 mine is a R275. Unfortunately (for me) they changed from a 44mm oversized head tube to the same tapered headtube that the R260 uses which means I need to track down headset today.

I ordered the industrial mill finish but ended up giving the frame the grey 3M pad treatment to give a brushed finish. Also was not liking the top tube decal so that is gone.

Welds and workmanship are solid. The only negative is the weight = 4lbs naked. This is where I think Lynskey brings in their frames at a lower price point than others. Other more expensive titanium disc frames seem to come in at the 1400g range where this on is 1800g+.
Old 11-11-17, 11:04 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by matt92037
My frame showed up yesterday. Unlike what the website shows as a R265 mine is a R275. Unfortunately (for me) they changed from a 44mm oversized head tube to the same tapered headtube that the R260 uses which means I need to track down headset today.

I ordered the industrial mill finish but ended up giving the frame the grey 3M pad treatment to give a brushed finish. Also was not liking the top tube decal so that is gone.

Welds and workmanship are solid. The only negative is the weight = 4lbs naked. This is where I think Lynskey brings in their frames at a lower price point than others. Other more expensive titanium disc frames seem to come in at the 1400g range where this on is 1800g+.

Ask Kish about the difference between butted and straight gauge Titanium on his bikes he makes....about 6 ounces and $600 bucks.

Lynskey being a big volume maker, and also an OEM for some other brands...that is how they're able to fly under the $4K mark more typical of other Ti fabricators that hit those lighter weights. Straight tubing, and therefore more weight, on most of their line AFAIK.
Old 11-11-17, 01:03 PM
gettingold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm curious what you are comparing your R275 to. Another endurance frame or racing frames? Apples to apples?
Old 11-11-17, 05:29 PM
matt92037

I am comparing to my XL R265 vs this L R275. This one was a little heavier which I could probably attribute to the flat mount rear brake hardware.

I am not going to sweat what this bike weighs. Once on the scale I may be sad for a minute when I realized the build won't weigh 16lbs but I move on with life really quick.

On another note, this is the slowest build ever. You are pretty much screwed if the rear flat mount bolts that come in the box don't fit your frame. The bolts that come in the box are 35mm, this bike needs 20mm FYI. I am trying to track down bolts locally.

I'm curious what you are comparing your R275 to. Another endurance frame or racing frames? Apples to apples?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
frame.jpg (928.4 KB, 206 views)
Old 11-12-17, 08:38 AM
gettingold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice. I meant which other titanium disc frames were 400 grams lighter than the R 275? Surely not the R 265?

Personally, I love that tapered head tube.
Old 11-12-17, 10:33 AM
matt92037

I am talking about Holland’s and Moots that are lighter. But those cost much more.

I am putting the finishing touches on my build. It landed right @ 19lbs. This build isn’t about weight though. Its about eating lots of miles in comfort. The tubeless 28’s and Ergon seatpost + the Ti frame are going to achieve that in spades.
Old 11-12-17, 11:09 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
I guess I kind of just lumped Lynskey in with olde rLitespeeds, as Lynskey WAS Litespeed

I have an '03 Litespeed Classic , one of the last of the Lynskey era I think ---- quality is top notch, alignment is good --- nice bike, bottom line --- I would expect no less from a Lynskey
Old 11-12-17, 11:31 AM
matt92037

Posting some pics in the Lynskey thread. Should get my first ride in today.
Old 02-01-18, 11:44 PM
BANZAI Dug

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 Lynskey 330r

I am impressed by all the replies on this Post. I bought my 2009 Lynsky, used, in June of 2015.
I chose Lynskey because I liked the way the compact frame looked with the Enve fork, and all the positive reviews on the handling and ride feel of Lynskey frames.
As of Feb. 2018 (about 2 1/2 years), I have put over 4000 miles on that frame and I am very grateful that I still love riding that bike.
The ride is tight yet compliant over not so smooth tarmac. I really like swooping on down hill curves with ragged asphalt.
There maybe better frames but so far I am having so much fun on this Lynskey I do not feel the need to look.
Old 02-03-18, 02:08 AM
ThunderOne

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

This is terrible news. Are you saying the R275 now has the tapered headtube like the Sportive?

Standing by and thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-18, 08:32 AM
gettingold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThunderOne
This is terrible news. Are you saying the R275 now has the tapered headtube like the Sportive?

Standing by and thanks in advance.
What is wrong with a tapered head tube? I have it on the R260. It's not the same geometry as the sportive so what's the big deal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image 4.jpg (370.1 KB, 81 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.