Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 12-22-17, 03:10 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
aerospokes and the rio io look a lot different when you're looking at them irl. aerospokes spokes are ridiculous - fat, practically round cross-section. the io's - like the old io - have a graceful taper.
Old 12-22-17, 06:06 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
You should investigate whether this wheel used threaded cogs or splined cogs?
If I could translate Italian it would be easier. You can't tell from their images of the wheel, but the road version is splined. But after reading their all Italian product catalogue and finding the model of hub on the track version, and Googling that, and then finding a page that sells Miche hubs, it appears to be threaded. They also sell an adaptor that threads on the hub, but then accepts a splined cog.

EDIT: That could be the opposite, because all of their track cogs are splined.

https://www.singlespeedshop.com/Singl...g-Carrier.html

Last edited by krispenhartung; 12-22-17 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-22-17, 06:12 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
More info: https://www.fixedgeargallery.com/revi...breview/miche/
Old 12-22-17, 08:14 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
aerospokes and the rio io look a lot different when you're looking at them irl. aerospokes spokes are ridiculous - fat, practically round cross-section. the io's - like the old io - have a graceful taper.
Yeah, I know. But, the more narrow spokes had me think of the Aerospoke when I first saw them. The iO was know to be a "fat and flat" 5 spoke wheel.

Mavic won't publish any wind tunnel data on the iO. Frederico from Marketing says "It's lighter and faster!", so I believe him
Old 12-22-17, 08:27 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
The Japanese national team riders have been riding these for the past few seasons, also a narrower-blade than the old IO. As far as I can tell, they are made by a company called Nova Engineering and marketed under the brand name "Realize". In person they look like top notch work.
https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20...07.jpg?caw=800
Old 12-23-17, 02:29 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!! That wheel is light!
Old 12-23-17, 04:23 AM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by taras0000
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!! That wheel is light!
Wow, I didn't even notice that! Too light??
Old 12-23-17, 07:52 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Looks solid
This is the one I have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (152.2 KB, 213 views)
Old 12-23-17, 07:01 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Morelock
Looks solid
This is the one I have
Is that the Realize wheel? Where did you purchase it? Even in Japan I'm finding it difficult to get much info on this wheel.
Old 12-24-17, 12:26 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
They don't seem to be the same wheel. Look at the carbon layup where the spokes meet the rim.
Old 12-24-17, 01:32 AM
Baby Puke

I know that there are at least three versions of this wheel. There was a pre London Olympics one, one they developed for London, and then a newer version since then. Of course this is badly translated and poorly understood hearsay...
Old 12-24-17, 09:12 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
no, it's just a knock off wheel from ebay.

That said, it's a fast wheel, whatever mould they used was a pretty good one.
Old 12-25-17, 08:01 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Let's see that Dixie then!
I don’t have good a picture of my current set up.
And sorry for the late post

https://ibb.co/hENxn6
I have a break so I can go to a velodrome, so please ignore.
Old 12-25-17, 08:43 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread just yet, as I'm still up in the air about the whole thing.

My wife and I moved to the Colorado Springs area recently. And, for the first time in my life, I'm near-ish a velodrome. Less than a 20min drive from home to track. While I'd prefer to ride outside every day, that's simply not feasible, and riding/racing would be a welcome break from the monotony of the trainer/rollers.

So, I'm looking to build up a track bike. I've ridden a fixed gear a few times but never raced. I know I'll have to take a certification or training class in order to race and I'm fine with that. I'm a 2 on the road and "pro" MTB, so I anticipate moving up quickly, but the rules are the rules.

I have a lot of parts hanging around the house. Cranks, bars, stem, a front tubular wheel, pedals, etc. Really, the only thing's I'll need are a frame/fork, rear wheel, cog and chain.

So, should I just buy some dirt cheap steel frame off eBay? If I were looking for a road or MTB frame I'd know what to look for, but I'm a bit lost in terms of track bikes. I presume horizontal dropouts are a must, but what else should I be looking for? Any brands known for good quality at the lower price points? I don't care if the frame is a tank or has the aerodynamic properties of a brick. I just don't want to have a catastrophic failure in the middle of race. I'm probably looking at a 50cm or so frame, so, unfortunately the selection is limited when compared to other sizes.

Also, what kind of gearing should I be looking at? I plan on heading to their open training nights, as well as their endurance racing nights as well. Not sure if that will influence recommendations but thought I'd put it out there.

Last edited by Duke of Kent; 12-25-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 09:05 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by gycho77
I don’t have good a picture of my current set up.
And sorry for the late post

https://ibb.co/hENxn6
I have a break so I can go to a velodrome, so please ignore.
Cool, looks good! I like the orange. Does your gym let you bring in your bike and rollers? VIP treatment.
Old 12-25-17, 10:07 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Cool, looks good! I like the orange. Does your gym let you bring in your bike and rollers? VIP treatment.
Haha
It’s just an apartment gym and they say I can bring my trainer and train.
Also, I usually use the gym(for roller) around 1am, so no one cares
Old 12-25-17, 10:24 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
Haha
It’s just an apartment gym and they say I can bring my trainer and train.
Also, I usually use the gym(for roller) around 1am, so no one cares
looks like a darn solid apartment gym !
Old 12-25-17, 10:49 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
Didn't want to start a new thread just yet, as I'm still up in the air about the whole thing.

My wife and I moved to the Colorado Springs area recently. And, for the first time in my life, I'm near-ish a velodrome. Less than a 20min drive from home to track. While I'd prefer to ride outside every day, that's simply not feasible, and riding/racing would be a welcome break from the monotony of the trainer/rollers.

So, I'm looking to build up a track bike. I've ridden a fixed gear a few times but never raced. I know I'll have to take a certification or training class in order to race and I'm fine with that. I'm a 2 on the road and "pro" MTB, so I anticipate moving up quickly, but the rules are the rules.

I have a lot of parts hanging around the house. Cranks, bars, stem, a front tubular wheel, pedals, etc. Really, the only thing's I'll need are a frame/fork, rear wheel, cog and chain.

So, should I just buy some dirt cheap steel frame off eBay? If I were looking for a road or MTB frame I'd know what to look for, but I'm a bit lost in terms of track bikes. I presume horizontal dropouts are a must, but what else should I be looking for? Any brands known for good quality at the lower price points? I don't care if the frame is a tank or has the aerodynamic properties of a brick. I just don't want to have a catastrophic failure in the middle of race. I'm probably looking at a 50cm or so frame, so, unfortunately the selection is limited when compared to other sizes.

Also, what kind of gearing should I be looking at? I plan on heading to their open training nights, as well as their endurance racing nights as well. Not sure if that will influence recommendations but thought I'd put it out there.

I'm sure with those palmares you would consider yourself an "enduro" on the track -------

Don't overthink it ----- I don't know if COS has any rental bikes to get you through the certification process , but they may ---

Just show up, and if available, use the rental stuff, (bring your own pedals though) and keep an open mind at first --- If your a road Cat 2, you have some experience and fitness which will serve you well,

Ultimately yes, a proper track bike is essential, -- and not many of the parts you have in inventory will have much use -- Its easier to buy a complete bike that's ready to go, like a Fuji Elite or a Felt TK series or even a Bianchi Pista at the most basic . The dimensions are different (!/8 chainsets at 144 bcd, plus the forces on a front wheel are much higher than on the road, so the wheels are usually heavier in general )

In short --- I see people at the track on $450 machines and having a great time and being competitive in their respective classes ---- but if your a Cat 2 , you will want your own machine pretty soon if this is something you can do regularly

Ive seen guys' on the more modestly priced alloy Felts and Fujis racing at high levels, --- not to mention the Specialized Langsters --- which originally I didn't even think had track geometry but I may be wrong on that----- Its kind of a paradox in that yes, you need the right equipment, but after a certain point when everyone has a proper track bike, -- the equipment choices don't matter much

Lots of us on this forum geek out on equipment stuff that may only amount to tenths of seconds in a pure sprint situation , but in a long points race, --- ehhhhh maybe not as big a deal

Last edited by DMC707; 12-25-17 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 11:09 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
looks like a darn solid apartment gym !
Yeah it’s great
But they don’t have Barbell and heavy weights.
So I go to different gym for workout
Old 12-26-17, 12:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

Hi, Duke.

As DMC states, a basic bike is fine until you know what you want.

Being that there are a reasonable number of popular frames and components out there, it's likely that someone here will be familiar with them and can give you a quick "yea/nay" on if you should buy it or not.

The equipment is all pretty basic. On the track, the engine and aerodynamics (rider on the bike) are generally what makes winners. The equipment choices are simply to avoid problems first then to add some sort of gain second. For example, a tried and true steel or aluminum frame with no issues would be a far "faster" frame than a new carbon spaceship with slipping seatpost due to bad engineering tolerances.

Also, carbon isn't necessarily better. There are aluminum frames that are lighter, stiffer, more aerodynamic, and less expensive than some carbon frames. It's all about the details.

Fit trumps materials every damn day. But, you probably know that.

Clinchers are fine. Use quality tires and tubes.

Chances are, you'll be bitten by the bug and replace whatever you buy now. So, maybe don't go too big right now.

Also, your race front wheel from the road would probably be fine on the track. But, as you take your certification classes and progress through the newbie ranks (as you learn rules, skills, and pay your dues (should only be a few weeks)) you won't need race wheels...and would probably be over kill. You'll know when you need the race wheels.

Chances are, during your first few races, the track director won't (or at least shouldn't) let you simply ride away from the field and solo to the win. That doesn't teach you anything. There is a lot to learn even in the lower ranks about how the "flow" of a race happens and the group dynamics. It would be a disservice if you'd never felt that then a few weeks later you are in a P/1/2 race and can't ride away and are uncomfortable and don't know what to do or what to expect. So, stay in the pack until you hear the bell.
Old 12-26-17, 12:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Duke, there are a couple of threads that should interest you:

See what normal folk are riding: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cyc...es-2014-a.html

What tools you might need and some general tips: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cyc...ack-racer.html

Some basic info and thoughts about frames: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cyc...ete-bikes.html (all that glitters ain't gold)
Old 12-26-17, 03:45 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
.....................My wife and I moved to the Colorado Springs area recently. And, for the first time in my life, I'm near-ish a velodrome. Less than a 20min drive from home to track. While I'd prefer to ride outside every day, that's simply not feasible, and riding/racing would be a welcome break from the monotony of the trainer/rollers.

Welcome to Colorado - great place for all types of cycling events.

Also check out the Boulder Valley Velodrome - it is often open during the winter weather permitting.
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
It has certification sessions that include both the bike and shoes if needed. Certification here also certifies you for the Springs track (and vice versa).
Racing every Thursday evening and training races and TTs on Saturdays April - Oct.
The BVV track is Olympic style; 250m with 41 deg banking.

You may not need to get a track bike immediately if the Spring track has rental bikes - check it out.

Last edited by 700wheel; 12-26-17 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 04:22 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 'Springs velo is a 333 concrete track with relatively (compared to BVV) shallow angles on the turns. This means you can ride just about anything as long as it does not have brakes or derailleur. Thin, light tires, like Vittoria Speeds etc will not last very long if you use them for training and racing. I learned on LA's version of that track when I started out and still love it. BTW, its also very similar to the vels in Indianapolis and T-Town.
Old 12-26-17, 05:00 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Chances are, during your first few races, the track director won't (or at least shouldn't) let you simply ride away from the field and solo to the win. That doesn't teach you anything. There is a lot to learn even in the lower ranks about how the "flow" of a race happens and the group dynamics. It would be a disservice if you'd never felt that then a few weeks later you are in a P/1/2 race and can't ride away and are uncomfortable and don't know what to do or what to expect. So, stay in the pack until you hear the bell.
+1

Learning how to race track is very much about rider safety. P/1/2/3's have certain expectations on how racers in their fields will handle their bikes and their positions within the field. In my book, riding off the front in every race, means there won't be a fast-track for an upgrade. I personally won't recommend an upgrade until I see that a new track racer isn't a danger to the other riders. Yeah, I'm the guy who has sit-downs with the riders who made me cringe while I'm up on the judges stand.
Old 12-26-17, 08:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by dunderhi
+1

Learning how to race track is very much about rider safety. P/1/2/3's have certain expectations on how racers in their fields will handle their bikes and their positions within the field. In my book, riding off the front in every race, means there won't be a fast-track for an upgrade. I personally won't recommend an upgrade until I see that a new track racer isn't a danger to the other riders. Yeah, I'm the guy who has sit-downs with the riders who made me cringe while I'm up on the judges stand.
This reminds me of when I used to play tennis in HS. Our coach would often have players of mixed skill levels play each other. Coach wouldn't let the stronger player simply serve hard for an ace or blast the first ball for a winner. The better player would be required to serve a moderate serve and only go for a winner after the ball had gone back and forth 4 times.

This did 2 things: It gave the less powerful player a chance to setup and out-play the more powerful player by using ball placement. It also taught the more powerful player to learn to set up his opponent...because when the more powerful player were in an evenly matched tournament, (s)he can't simply blast the ball and expect it not to come back. It's definitely coming back, and with the same pace that (s)he gave it.

Nothing rattles a strong player more than to see his best move not work. "Now what? Oh snap! I have to think now."

Last edited by carleton; 12-27-17 at 04:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.