Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gunnar Hyper-XX anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 08:10 PM
austex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gunnar Hyper-XX anyone?

Gunnar has expanded the Hyper line from the -X to the -XX and -XC. I am looking at the -XX for a couple reasons. Has S-bend chainstays that the caption says " increase tire clearance (to 55mm between the stays) as well as heel clearance", and the interchangeable rear frame ends for Q/R or thru-axle (though proprietary bits are also a bit of a potential downside). I'd likely do a custom fork, reducing axle-crown from design-spec of 395mm to 385, to lower the bb from 70mm drop to 74-ish drop, steepen head angle a tad (from 72.5 on the 54cm, haven't done the trig yet), and 65-ish rake for low trail. Also thinking three wheelsets - 559-51, 684-42 and 622-28 for flexibility.

Hyper-XX

Tom
Old 03-23-17, 09:48 AM
Flamme Rouge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure why the Gunnar Hyper-XX doesn't get more love... maybe lack of a marketing budget?

Changing wheelsets (and tires) will give a ton of flexibility and make for a solid "do anything" bike. It will take a 29er wheel with a 2.0 tire if you're riding really loose stuff, but 700c with +/- 40mm seems to hit a good spot for reducing weight to take on hills/accelerations and float (and I know they're the same diameter, just sayin').

Steel frames are never as light as carbon or alloy or Ti but a 21-pound build is not hard on this frame. Even going with 105/5800 Hydro should still keep it in the lower 20s.

I'd personally look at a Whisky fork. I've got several buddies riding them hard with good results. The headtube will take a tapered headset. If you reduce axle-crown you lose some of the choice for a larger front tire. You might have the width but not the height under the crown.

You'll prolly get a different BB drop depending on tires/wheels. Not sure I'd overthink it. I've had bikes from 67 to 80mm drop. Lower gives more stability but unless you're regularly descending at 45+ mph I don't know think you'll have a problem at 70.

Would be great to hear what you decided, or if you went in a different direction.
Old 03-23-17, 12:52 PM
cyanotic

Bikes: Trek 7300FX 2004

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a very nice review at GravelCyclist. I can't post URL's yet as a new user, but a search on their site for Gunnar will bring it up.
Old 03-24-17, 06:11 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamme Rouge
Not sure why the Gunnar Hyper-XX doesn't get more love... maybe lack of a marketing budget?

Changing wheelsets (and tires) will give a ton of flexibility and make for a solid "do anything" bike. It will take a 29er wheel with a 2.0 tire if you're riding really loose stuff, but 700c with +/- 40mm seems to hit a good spot for reducing weight to take on hills/accelerations and float (and I know they're the same diameter, just sayin').

Steel frames are never as light as carbon or alloy or Ti but a 21-pound build is not hard on this frame. Even going with 105/5800 Hydro should still keep it in the lower 20s.

I'd personally look at a Whisky fork. I've got several buddies riding them hard with good results. The headtube will take a tapered headset. If you reduce axle-crown you lose some of the choice for a larger front tire. You might have the width but not the height under the crown.

You'll prolly get a different BB drop depending on tires/wheels. Not sure I'd overthink it. I've had bikes from 67 to 80mm drop. Lower gives more stability but unless you're regularly descending at 45+ mph I don't know think you'll have a problem at 70.

Would be great to hear what you decided, or if you went in a different direction.
When you come down to it is steel really that much heavier than AL? Maybe a pound in a frame. CF maybe several ponds. But I'm not really seeing AL having that much of a weight advantage.
Old 03-24-17, 06:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by cyanotic
There is a very nice review at GravelCyclist. I can't post URL's yet as a new user, but a search on their site for Gunnar will bring it up.

Featured Bike: Gunnar Cycles Hyper-XX | Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience

-Tim-
Old 03-24-17, 07:28 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
When you come down to it is steel really that much heavier than AL? Maybe a pound in a frame. CF maybe several ponds. But I'm not really seeing AL having that much of a weight advantage.
Depends on the frame. I had a steel frame that was 6.5 pounds. Rode awesome but heavy. My current aluminum bike frame is just a tiny bit over 4 pounds. So that's a 2+ pound difference. Whether it matters to you is one thing...but there can be quite a difference. For some 2+ pounds is a huge deal. I weigh too much for it to really matter much.
Old 03-25-17, 10:49 AM
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hyper-XX has really piqued my interest as well. I currently have an older Tamland which is QR front and rear, and eventually I will be looking for a lighter weight gravel frame with thru-axle compatibility. The Hyper-XX is currently at the top of my list.

As regards the weight of steel frames, I also own a Gunnar Roadie in 56cm and the frame is ~3.8 lbs. It all comes down to which frames you are comparing. A decent carbon frame and a "high end" steel frame like a Gunnar, with the cost for both being the same at ~$1200, you're really only looking at 1-2 lbs difference. Even with higher end carbon frames you're paying a lot more for a different carbon layup but not a significant weight savings.
Old 03-25-17, 12:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gunnar is Waterford's Tig welded line, they are OK. don't worry.
Old 03-26-17, 08:00 PM
austex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamme Rouge
If you reduce axle-crown you lose some of the choice for a larger front tire. You might have the width but not the height under the crown.

Thanks for the thoughts. Economic circumstance has postponed a purchase.

Not too concerned about larger 700 tire sizes - for fatter, I'm going 584 or 559 rim size. And I do like 75mm BB drop, which 10mm shorter a-c should about accomplish.

OP Tom
Old 03-06-18, 12:27 AM
twinsies

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to post my new Hyper-XX. Steel grey metallic paint with reflective logos which for some reason my phone's flash turned yellowish in these photos. Whiskey #9, Ultegra R8020, Roval CLX32. Weighed in at 22.3lbs as pictured with fenders (sans lights and seat bag). Really happy with it so far!

Old 03-06-18, 10:38 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
That's a great looking bike, twinsies! Solid build specs and I love the way that grey metallic paint turned out.
Old 03-09-18, 08:35 PM
austex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple ??s @twinsies - What headset are you using? And bottle cages are King stainless, yes?

And a comment - I see flat-mount caliper on fork and post- on chainstay. Paragon Machine Works has apparently introduced a flat-mount/12mm thru-axle insert for the chainstay should you want to match the calipers.
Old 03-09-18, 11:27 PM
twinsies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RocThrower
That's a great looking bike, twinsies! Solid build specs and I love the way that grey metallic paint turned out.
Thank you, I'm happy with the aesthetic as well.

Originally Posted by austex
Couple ??s @twinsies - What headset are you using? And bottle cages are King stainless, yes?

And a comment - I see flat-mount caliper on fork and post- on chainstay. Paragon Machine Works has apparently introduced a flat-mount/12mm thru-axle insert for the chainstay should you want to match the calipers.
Headset is FSA Forty. You are correct King Cage Iris bottle cages. They are excellent cages IMO.

I did not know the Paragon product existed, thanks for that. Is there a performance reason for that part or is it just a match/visual kind of thing? From what I've read there's no performance differences between post- and flat-mount.
Old 03-10-18, 07:23 PM
austex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No particular performance reason, mostly because brakes are typically sold in matching sets. Takes some effort to get one flat-mount, one post.
Flat-mount does limit one to 160mm rotors, though typically one wouldn't use larger rear than front rotor.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=paragon
Old 03-11-18, 08:40 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twinsies
Headset is FSA Forty.
FSA, or Cane Creek?

(Because that text sure looks like Cane Creek).
Old 03-16-18, 12:30 PM
twinsies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
FSA, or Cane Creek?

(Because that text sure looks like Cane Creek).
You're right, Cane Creek 40 tapered headset.
Old 07-31-18, 10:07 AM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to post my new Hyper-XX. Steel grey metallic paint with reflective logos which for some reason my phone's flash turned yellowish in these photos. Whiskey #9 , Ultegra R8020, Roval CLX32. Weighed in at 22.3lbs as pictured with fenders (sans lights and seat bag). Really happy with it so far!

Resurrecting this thread to say this is the bike I want to build almost exactly. What's the wheelset and brakes?
Old 08-05-18, 06:35 PM
twinsies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra R8020 groupset (and brakes), Roval CLX32 wheelset
Old 08-09-18, 11:37 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Is it two different bikes or same one?
Old 08-12-18, 03:26 PM
austex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Is it two different bikes or same one?
One bike, but from original post (#10) "...Steel grey metallic paint with reflective logos which for some reason my phone's flash turned yellowish in these photos...."
Old 08-14-18, 04:06 PM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra R8020 groupset (and brakes), Roval CLX32 wheelset
Holy wheelsets batshram!
Old 12-17-18, 11:53 AM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to post my new Hyper-XX. Steel grey metallic paint with reflective logos which for some reason my phone's flash turned yellowish in these photos. Whiskey #9 , Ultegra R8020, Roval CLX32. Weighed in at 22.3lbs as pictured with fenders (sans lights and seat bag). Really happy with it so far!

Beautiful bike. What's the max tire clearance?

Also, would it be hard to get a bike like this down to closer to 20 pounds?