Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting track frames

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 03:51 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Very nice bike Kroogar. Having wrenched on too many "superbikes" to count (each with their own proprietary...everything in most cases) it's refreshing to see a well thought out bike that you could realistically replace some of the components on in a hurry if something broke traveling / at a race / etc. Keep us updated, will put this on the short list of bikes to own in the future.
Old 03-29-18, 06:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Koogar
Full credit is owed to the (and is given to in the "still isn't up?" website) engineer who did most of the design work for the dropout. It does play well with the track nuts, but it's always better to use the set screws, especially for big efforts.
And if one were interested, how would he or she go about ordering one of these frames?
Old 03-29-18, 06:47 AM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
I've always been curious about this, but does UCI approval require a geometry and size?

I ask this because it seems really crazy asking pros who could be riding bikes with custom geometries to suit them to have to ride stock frames. Surely there could be an approval process where it is almost in principle with the shapes and materials, and with the geometry subject to change?
The UCI review process is based on construction material and then each unique combination of geometry and size requires a separate set of drawings and review. Carbon frames are subject to a more detailed process that involves submitting a prototype, while metal tubular frames follow a simplified process that is based primarily on the drawings. Not that I'm suggesting those are trivial - this is not just BikeCAD output of basic dimensions, but also tubing cross sections, and additional notation showing certain UCI limits. It's a significant amount of work even for a simplified review. And then there's the cost.

You can read all about it starting about half way down the page here: Equipment

And the current list of approved frames is there as well.
Old 03-29-18, 06:51 AM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
Very nice bike Kroogar. Having wrenched on too many "superbikes" to count (each with their own proprietary...everything in most cases) it's refreshing to see a well thought out bike that you could realistically replace some of the components on in a hurry if something broke traveling / at a race / etc. Keep us updated, will put this on the short list of bikes to own in the future.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
And if one were interested, how would he or she go about ordering one of these frames?
Thanks for the kind words and interest. Anybody wanting more info can contact me separately: rick (at) fiftypointoneracing (dotcom). But I'm happy to answer general questions here as well.