Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 09:46 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Today was a terrible commute, but still better than driving my car. I was scolded at the base gate for not wearing reflective gear even though I have ridiculous amount of lighting on the rear of my bike. Three miles before I reached work I had the single worse cross-chaining catastrophe of my 45 years riding bicycles. I was convinced that I destroyed my rear right shifter that I purchased one Amazon, but it just started working on the way to my friends truck. I was happy that it was working and I rode happily home.
Old 03-12-19, 06:17 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A bit colder this morning - enough to wear the tights. But otherwise not bad. On one uphill where I'm going pretty slow and even able to ride to the right of the white line, a car does a close pass. He even went slow as he passed. There is a middle lane of left turns along here that doesn't usually have anyone turning and most cars use that to easily go by me. But not this guy, he was trying to say something I'm sure. I think his message was, "I'm a jerk who doesn't like cyclists."
Old 03-12-19, 06:53 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Spring yesterday: I'm here! I have arrived! It's time for sun and warmth! Let's get some flower's growing around here!

Spring today: Ha! I got you so good! It's still winter! Now you're out riding a bike when its 35 degrees! Oh man I got you so good!
Old 03-12-19, 07:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Sunshine! Brisk!

One of those low-40s to upper-60s spring days. My recovery ride fell victim to "Dang, it's cold, I've got to pedal harder to try to warm up!" Of course this afternoon will be a conundrum, how much do I wear vs. how many clothes do I pack?

But compared to dressing and undressing for 5-10 minutes each, I'll take it!
Old 03-12-19, 09:58 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
38F, partly sunny, clammy
Old 03-12-19, 10:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Today is 2 weeks since surgery. 4-6 weeks until return to work and trike rides.

Feeling pretty well, really. Pain is manageable with Tylenol and not debilitating if I get behind. Though still hurting to cough and very lucky nothing is making me sneeze. I'm going to see the cardiologist today and I'm going to try to figure out with him what my new medication regimen should be. Right now it seems confused. I think the hospital doc didn't really understand my former regimen and just picked parts of it that seemed safe. I'm also due for a new ICD, it would be convenient to do that before I return to work.

Endurance is getting better. I'm supposed to be extending the length of my walks and I'll put them on Strava for fun. Friday I'm going to NAHBS with my former boss who lately retired. That will be the first really big outing for me. I've been able to make a few simple meals, though nothing that requires shaking a big frying pan around. Still can't lift the 2yo twins or change their diapers, not for a while.

My wife is trying to figure out how to carry me around town with three kid seats. I'm not supposed to ride in the front seat due to danger of airbag vs. sternum. The minivan has a third row but the kid seats are three across in the second row, so getting in the third row requires crawling in through the hatch, which may not be something I can do yet.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-12-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 12:03 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Back to work after 10+ days off. I don't know what's harder, getting up to speed on the bike or being back at work!
Old 03-12-19, 01:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Maybe you could put your biggest kid in the front seat and sit in the back with the other kids. But of course, that's a big decision, and it could set a bad precedence.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-12-19, 03:52 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My wife is trying to figure out how to carry me around town with three kid seats. I'm not supposed to ride in the front seat due to danger of airbag vs. sternum. The minivan has a third row but the kid seats are three across in the second row, so getting in the third row requires crawling in through the hatch, which may not be something I can do yet.
Bummer.

I would be weighing the risk of an actual crash (and the risk of an airbag malfunction, a friend had their's go off w/ a 2mph fender-bender) against options like turning the airbag off (I think most cars let you switch off passenger airbags to accomodate small women who airbags are designed to kill) or just jamming the seat as far back as it goes (the big explosion is only w/in the 1st few inches, people who haven't had their sternum cracked are supposed to be safe beyond 10" from the dashboard, perhaps if you could get 2 feet back from it, keeping in mind the likelihood (hopefully low) of it getting deployed ...

I don't envy you but am glad you are doing well enough to start getting out and about!

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 03-13-19 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 04:37 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
A very nice commute with the temp at 23 f degrees this am but mostly dry roads.
Old 03-13-19, 07:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Had some sort of bug that took me out for 4 days. I was too sick to go anywhere. Today I felt well enough to go back to work, so I decided I must also be well enough to get back on the bike.

This morning was the first above freezing we've had since fall, at 36F. That was the good news. The bad news is that it is pouring rain, and projected to rain for two days. They're predicting that we'll get up to 3 inches of rain. Unfortunately, the ground is still snow covered and frozen, and the storm sewers are snow blocked and frozen. This rain has nowhere to go but intersections and basements. Flooding is already becoming an issue and if we get the full 3" it's going to be real ugly here.

Because of the temp, rain and the fact that I've been sick I decided to do the mixed commute this morning where I rode about a mile to the bus stop, took the bus downtown, then rode another half mile to the client's office. I probably wound up getting just as wet while standing at the bus stop waiting versus just riding the full four miles in. Oh well.

Both of the clips on one of my Ortlieb city roller panniers has broken so it will no longer latch (might have to rig something together for the ride home in the rain.) I sent an email to Ortlieb. Hopefully there's a way to just replace the plastic clips as everything else is in good shape and I would hate to have to replace the whole bag just because the clips broke.
Old 03-13-19, 07:38 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ok, been busy so here's the list for March so far:
  • Morning Commute 3/1/19 33°F, 8 mph wind, cloudy
  • Evening commute 3/1/19 37°F, light wind, cloudy
  • Morning Commute 3/6/19 17°F, 8 mph wind, sunny
  • Evening Commute 3/6/19 30°F, 7 mph wind, clear
  • Morning Commute 3/7/19 27°F, light wind, cloudy
  • Evening Commute 3/7/19 32°F, 7 mph wind, flurries
  • Morning Commute 3/8/19 33°F, 5 mph wind, winter mix
  • Evening Commute 3/8/19 forgot to note weather
  • 3/10 did some grocery running traffic was horrible - almost got hit by a jackass running a red light.
  • Morning Commute 3/11/19 39°F, light wind, light overcast
  • Evening Commute 3/11/19, 51°F, 7 mph wind, clear
  • Morning Commute 3/13/19 46°F, 4 mph wind, cloudy - had to ride on the sidewalk briefly at one point to get around some construction and almost got left hooked, both the SUV and I were able to stop in time - I should have just waited and gotten into the traffic lane.
Old 03-13-19, 07:39 AM
pdlamb

It seemed the city decided to do some work today. There was a pothole patching crew rolling into my neighborhood, and a gas line replacement crew when I got close to work. (If the city patches all its potholes this year, we won't have a problem with unemployment, though there may be a budget crisis!)

Fairly stiff south (head) wind this morning. We gotta get us some Gulf moisture so we can have rain and storms tomorrow, I guess. So it was overcast because of the humidity, and warm-ish because of the south wind. I took it easy, still trying to recover from last week's cold and the daylight time shift, so it took me a whole 6 minutes longer than normal.

Still beats driving!
Old 03-13-19, 10:12 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

30F, gray. Got sprinted past by a wannabe roadie. I maintained my 12mph pace and passed him after he blew up a couple hundred yards down the trail.
Old 03-13-19, 07:13 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Light winds all day. Temps mid 30s on the way to work with rain all the way, dry and low 50s on the way home. Punctured on the way home, patched the tube then found another hole, patched it again and rode home. It was so nice outside I didn’t care. I didn’t feel cold all day, even after an hour in the rain this morning. Boo yah.
Old 03-14-19, 06:31 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
Another day of arriving to work by bike. The ride was pleasant and uneventful until I got to work. Where a young man asked about my car, and if it was alright. I told him I much rather ride my bike than take my car. So I ride when I can. I don't think he understood my point of view.
Old 03-14-19, 06:41 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
Another day of arriving to work by bike. The ride was pleasant and uneventful until I got to work. Where a young man asked about my car, and if it was alright. I told him I much rather ride my bike than take my car. So I ride when I can. I don't think he understood my point of view.
Exactly what happened to me at the end of my first week bike-commuting. I changed jobs 19 years ago mostly so I could commute by bike. Started in January. Neighbor and I exchanged hellos every day, and finally on Friday he asked "so what's wrong with your car"?
Old 03-14-19, 07:43 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
holy warm front batman!

it was 57 degrees this morning with a 20 mph S wind (80% of my morning bike commute is due north), so i was FLYING up the bike path with an absolutely ripping tailwind wearing nothing but shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt (haven't done that in a long time).

this was the warmest morning ride i've had probably since november.
Old 03-14-19, 07:44 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Challenging commute for a lot of people in my city today. Not so much for me.

35F and the rain continued. Flooding has become a big problem for much of the city. Thankfully my basement is still dry, but I'm starting to become a minority. We've had over 2" of rain fall and it's still coming down. Usually that amount wouldn't be a big deal, but when the ground is frozen and the snow is packed there's just nowhere for all that water to go except for places without snow, which most of the time is plowed streets and people's houses.

A big portion of the MUP is completely submerged, so I didn't even bother trying to ride the entire way. I did the split commute I've done a handful of times where I ride a mile to the bus stop, take the bus downtown and then ride another 1/2 mile to the client's office. The areas where I rode were higher in elevation so I didn't have to cross any deep water. While I was on the bus I was listening to the transit radio. They were having to shut down certain routes due to the flood waters being too high and there not being any open detours the buses could take. It sounds like the entire southwest side of town is currently cut off unless you have a boat. What a mess.

Winds are strong today. About a 30 mph headwind with stronger gusts as I came in. Normally I hate wind, but today I might welcome it to aid with evaporation of some of this moisture. In fact, even though the rain was falling, when I arrived at work my jacket was dry because the wind was strong enough to dry it out before it could soak in.

Later this morning the rain is supposed to turn to snow. They're talking 2"-3" of snow, and then the system should finally move on this evening.
Old 03-14-19, 07:55 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
55F, rainy, and 15mph headwind. The ride home should be fun!
Old 03-14-19, 08:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Asking about your car, that's funny! Bike commuting has become common here in NYC. Common means 1% of trips are done by bike. That's quite low, but you see people on bikes all the time. You often see people wearing or carrying helmets while walking, and this is a place where helmet usage is lower than in the rest of the country. Nowadays, when I arrive on a bike, people are not at all surprised and don't make comments unless the weather is cold or inclement. I've ridden a fair bit this winter, and it bothers me a lot less than it used to. I've been trying to live by that Minnesota saying, and it's worked well for me, "There's no bad weather, only bad clothing." Learning which clothing to wear for each condition has taken a lot of time and refinement, but I've learned well. Now I have to relearn how to deal with higher temperatures.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-14-19, 09:55 AM
pdlamb

Bare-legged and shirt sleeves this morning, yay! Headwind, boo! I didn't complain about the 15-20 mph wind out of the south last night, 'cause it was a headwind going home. It strengthened overnight; 30 mph gusts in your face take a lot out of you.

Otherwise, cloudy with a couple minutes of sunshine, the storms haven't got here yet, and traffic was well behaved.

Just got a notice that the city schools are shutting early. I take that as good news -- when the schools do a pre-emptive closing, the bad weather usually misses us.
Old 03-14-19, 11:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Today I have passed 32,000 miles biked to and from my current job - seems like a milestone. 98.6% since I started here in 2010.

I'm really looking forward to the ride home, nice warm weather, full daylight, and I'm on my light road-bike and regular cycling clothes. I might have to take the long way home.
Old 03-14-19, 02:37 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Today I have passed 32,000 miles biked to and from my current job.
That's a nice milestone indeed. Well done.

Originally Posted by noglider
Bike commuting has become common here in NYC. Common means 1% of trips are done by bike. That's quite low, but you see people on bikes all the time. You often see people wearing or carrying helmets while walking, and this is a place where helmet usage is lower than in the rest of the country.
That does sound low, but at least half of the bikes I see every day are strictly for food deliveries. But biking really is the best way to get around the city. On Tuesday I had a work appointment just 11 blocks away from my office, and just as I was getting ready to walk it, I decided to ride instead. It's a super easy and fast walk, but riding there is even quicker and easier. And no, I decided to forgo the helmet for that ride, in keeping with your statistics.
Old 03-14-19, 02:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Today I saw a woman at least 70 years old mounting an old English 3-speed. I see increasing numbers of old people getting around on bikes. It's heartening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.